shape
carat
color
clarity

Earrings for small ears?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
My GF has particularly small ear lobes.

Will a 5.0mm pearl stud be ok... Will 6mm be too big?

Really, she has no ear lobes. It''s like her ear just goes straight to her head.

She only now wears very small silver hoops that just hug her ear.

Thanks.

PS: THis is actually a diversion gift to throw her off the e-ring trail. Earrings comes in similar small box!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know what you mean... The usual solution is non-stud earrings: hoops, dangles, anything that doe snot sit on the ear. Those can get as big as one wished since the point of contact with the ear is very small anyway.

I could be wrong with the following, but the story is just the summary of all pearl-myths I know of - not exactly my taste or opinion
sick.gif
at all.

The size of pearl earrings seems to have the same strange social connotations as the diamond rings. So age, the work environment, etc. are more of a concern than the size of the ear... at least this is the impression I was left with in the US. So... probably 8-10mm is the magic universal 'office' size, regardless of what one actually likes. Instead of joining the army of standard-pearls wearers, I personally chose to give up the style altogether. Hopefully, there is no such dilemma for your girl
8.gif

As far as prices go, there is a serious premium on over 9mm on Akoyas and very random pricing as soon as there is no label in sight. Shopping around does pay lots for pearls, much more so than with diamonds.

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the help. I can see where you're coming from about pearl size vs. environment.

Personally, my tolerance for larger pearl size is probably lower than that of diamonds. (Well, I guess women's tolerance is the same too.) But an overly large pearl just looks weird to me. I went with the 5 mm. It is only a diversion gift after all.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/29/2004 4:25:14 PM diagonalman wrote:

Personally, my tolerance for larger pearl size is probably lower than that of diamonds. (Well, I guess women's tolerance is the same too.) But an overly large pearl just looks weird to me. I went with the 5 mm. It is only a diversion gift after all. ----------------

Dan, getting a gal a "diversion gift" is a wonderful thing...You're a good man!
2.gif
I also like your thoughts on Bigger diamonds...
naughty.gif
9.gif

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
I got the earrings. Very nice, thank you Blue Nile (for the 10% coupon). The 5mm is perfect for her little non-existant ear lobes.

Thank you Nicrez for the props. I'm very excited to deliver the 'gift(s)'.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope my post did not sound all that bad. Some mean environment taught me to choose jewelry that has NIL chances to get 'compared' with anything. I guess I am seriously allergic to that. And no, huge round things hanging on the ear do not make much sense. I do mean it.

Happy to hear about your pair!

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
No worries, V... we're not really bothered by the comparison bug. I used to be, but a year of unemployment taught me how much less I could live without and still be happy.

The e-ring is a different matter for me. I am certain she would be happy with even the littlest ring, but she has been there for me and now it's my turn to pamper her. I've saved for quite a while and will be able to pay for it outright, so we'll both be happy in the end. If people want to compare my shoes or her earrings... well, I say 'nuts' to them and have fun!

ShopDiva

Rough_Rock
Congrats on your purchase, I too have ear lobes like your GF it's hard to find earings that look right. I never take my 1/4ct. babies out, they work!
9.gif
Good Luck with the e-ring!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results