• James Allen Scroll-Basket

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Parade Hera Floral

Votes: 25 64.1%

• Total voters

jadebellyt

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I think I have narrowed down my search for e-ring settings to 2 and am having a hard time deciding which I should buy for my GF as a surprise. I'd love to get your thoughts and opinions on which ring you all like.

To give you an idea of what she's like, she's 5'1" at 98lbs with a simplistic style yet loves vintage/rustic type of things. She loves the east coast country lifestyle with lots of greenery and her dream house is one of those old boxy Georgian Style homes in the South. She's creative with her interior designs but absolutely horrid with her own fashion sense ironically. Her wardrobe looks like they came out of my grandma's closet :) But the look she goes for is simple and elegant. She is warm, caring, and loves children. She runs a child care part time and likes to scrapbook and do creative things on the side.

I think that about sums it up. I chose these two rings because they have some vintage yet elegant flair with the milgrain design and pave stones. I love the JA because of the basket work and the pave stones taper into the center stone which accentuates the rock. I love the Parade because of the intricate detail and the flower like basket looks very delicate and unique. Price is about the same for both in Platinum so I'm having a tough time deciding. Any thoughts?

Links:
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/Platinum-Scroll-Basket-Pave-Set-Diamond-Ring.html
http://www.paradedesign.com/detail.asp?Collection=Hera&Style=R2928/R1&m1=R2909/R1-BD&m2=&m3=&m=Bridal

ja_scroll_basket.jpg

parade_r2928_angle.jpg

parade_r2928.jpg

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never seen Parade... Their things are beautiful! All of them!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you already have the diamond? I did not like the actual photos of the JA ring. It just tapers in too thin to me. The parade ring is pretty, but it seems a little more busy than how you have described her.

Have you looked at Beverley K?

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
I chose the Parade one. Although I'm not normally into the scrolly-type antique stuff the shank and shoulders really flow beautifully up to the centre stone and I loveeee the prongs. :))

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Both are nice so buy on price...

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went for the parade for your GF. She sounds warm and wonderful, a caring and compassionate person, appreciates the past and details are important to her. Based on the 'detail/design' notion, I went for the parade design. Very nice choice!

Both are beautiful - I really like the basket part of the JA one too!

jadebellyt

Rough_Rock
Wow, looks like a blow out in favor of the Parade ring. Friends that I've showed were completely torn between the two, so I'm quite surprised. I was also leaning toward the Parade, but I am not as happy with the top view (attached below) because it looks a bit more plain and doesn't taper like the JA ring, which is a feature I kind of like. But I guess I am not sure how she would feel about the taper look.

I am still working on selecting the loose stone but it'll be a 1.5ct RB.

I looked through the Beverley K website and found a couple nice ones, but there weren't too many photo angles for each ring. And I couldn't find a listing of retailers on their site. Are there any other designers I should look into before I decide?

imag1154.jpg

ja_scroll_basket_-_top.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted for the JA ring - my worry with the parade is that it will suffer from the same sort of delicacy problems as the Tacori crescent-cutout rings and that wouldn't be compatible with her lifestyle. I dunno. I think you could probably find a setting that combines the best of both worlds.

Sooie

Rough_Rock
Both gorgeous. I considered the JA for myself, but it didn't seem like a wedding band would sit flush with it, (I could be wrong). The other setting is more beautiful, but may be impractical if she works with her hands often, ie. gardening, horseback riding, or other fun icky, dirty activities. I think she she will be so happy with either one. You have amazing taste!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Parade seems too fussy for what you've told us about your girlfriend. I'm having a hard time envisioning the James Allen setting from that picture, and it seems like the shoulders come up a little high on the stone, but I'm leaning towards the JA.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Parade.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Both are lovely but I love the Parade ring and I actually prefer that it doesn't taper when looking at it top down.

Please be sure to post pics once you decide on a stone and setting!

jadebellyt

Rough_Rock
distracts|1348195604|3272003 said:
I voted for the JA ring - my worry with the parade is that it will suffer from the same sort of delicacy problems as the Tacori crescent-cutout rings and that wouldn't be compatible with her lifestyle. I dunno. I think you could probably find a setting that combines the best of both worlds.

Uh oh, I never considered the structural integrity part of having a ring of this style. What type of delicacy problems were the Tacori crescent-cutout rings having? Were they collapsing or deforming of some sort? Would the platinum help offset these concerns at all?

I can see how having a cut out design would be more delicate with less metal weight in general. I like platinum because of the feel of extra weight and substantial-ness, but I might lose that with the Parade. Anyone foresee any other potential problems with the Parade?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Works with kids? I wouldn't want all that gunk stuck in my ring, ala the Parade. I chose the JA!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jadebellyt|1348246128|3272284 said:
distracts|1348195604|3272003 said:

Uh oh, I never considered the structural integrity part of having a ring of this style. What type of delicacy problems were the Tacori crescent-cutout rings having? Were they collapsing or deforming of some sort? Would the platinum help offset these concerns at all?

I can see how having a cut out design would be more delicate with less metal weight in general. I like platinum because of the feel of extra weight and substantial-ness, but I might lose that with the Parade. Anyone foresee any other potential problems with the Parade?

Yep - platinum does not help those concerns. The problem isn't the type of metal but the amount - the cutouts make the ring have less metal, and all the metal parts there are thinner (especially when you consider that there is very little metal holding the diamonds on the shank in), which makes it more susceptible to damage. Not saying it would definitely happen - there are certainly plenty of people with Tacori crescent rings who have had no problems - but you said your girlfriend works with kids, and usually that puts more strain on someone's hands/rings than, say, a job where you mainly sit at a computer. Here is a thread I found by searching "Tacori crescent damage" on PS: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-wife-bent-her-tacori-help.146166/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-wife-bent-her-tacori-help.146166/[/URL]

I do agree that the profile view of the ring is really important, but I'd try to find something with nice engraving rather than cutouts. I have a three-sided pave ring, which is also more prone to damage, and I worry about it a lot. I love it so it was worth it to me, though sometimes I think if I was starting over I might not get it. But also, I was the one who made the final decision on the setting, and I knew I could handle babying it because I take rings off all the time when I'm doing stuff anyway. If you still want to go with the Parade, talk to the jeweler about the rate at which he sees damage to it, be sure to insure it, and let your girlfriend know to be careful about situations where the ring could have extra pressure or torque put on it.

Here are a few Bev Ks:
http://www.greenwichjewelers.com/store/designers/beverley-k/products/beverley-k-micropave-diamond-engagement-ring-with-engraving#
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/88PP1/
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/93PP1/
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/85PP1/

Here are some Gabriels that taper toward the head:
http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER7529W44JJ
http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER7535W44JJ
http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER7440W44JJ
http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER6711W44JJ
http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER8033W44JJ
http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER7999W44JJ

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the Parade is a much prettier setting and think it suits your description of her best.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
for Durability - the James Allen
for Beauty - the parade

Is there another design that has both structural integrity and esthetic appeal?

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I was in a store today so decided to take few pic of the setting you want. Sorry for the quality of my camera pic.
Left one is the JA setting with a 1ct RB center
Right one is the parade setting with a 1.25ct AVR center (the diamond is not set in this setting, just resting on the setting)
JA one is a little more comfortable to me because the it's thinner than the thickness of parade's setting since it has many design on it

2012-09-22_12-53-29_726-1.jpg
2012-09-22_12-53-35_473.jpg

jadebellyt

Rough_Rock
minmin001|1348339472|3272899 said:
I was in a store today so decided to take few pic of the setting you want. Sorry for the quality of my camera pic.
Left one is the JA setting with a 1ct RB center
Right one is the parade setting with a 1.25ct AVR center (the diamond is not set in this setting, just resting on the setting)
JA one is a little more comfortable to me because the it's thinner than the thickness of parade's setting since it has many design on it

Thanks so much for the pics minmin! Very thoughtful and much appreciated! I haven't seen the JA up close in person. Since you've looked at, played with, and handled both rings yourself, what would be your choice? JA because it's more comfortable?

I do like the Gabriel and BK ones that were pointed out. I'm going to look a bit more at their rings as well.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure if I can make a fair comment since I do own the JA setting and only played with parade for a bit.
I love the JA setting because it's simple and elegant. Also something to consider between the return policy of the setting. We can all pick and choose what we think she may like but in the end she is the one who is wearing the ring. I'm not sure what's the return policy on other setting but JA does have 60days return policy and it will give her time to decide if it's the one she wants to keep or go with other ones.

jadebellyt

Rough_Rock
minmin001|1348350831|3272972 said:
I'm not sure if I can make a fair comment since I do own the JA setting and only played with parade for a bit.
I love the JA setting because it's simple and elegant. Also something to consider between the return policy of the setting. We can all pick and choose what we think she may like but in the end she is the one who is wearing the ring. I'm not sure what's the return policy on other setting but JA does have 60days return policy and it will give her time to decide if it's the one she wants to keep or go with other ones.

Thanks again minmin! I hate to keep bothering you, but would you be able to post some additional close up pics of your JA? I'd love to see what it looks like from the side and how the basket looks like on the finger.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Here you go, glad I can help =)

IMG_1116.jpg
IMG_1115.jpg
e-ring_0.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Minmin! Thank you for posting that setting - that's one I'm looking at from JA for a little project! Its beautiful! Is it platinum or 14/18K WG? It looks so beautiful and delicate on your finger and you say it is comfortable??

That's a beautiful classic setting, jadebellyt, and would really be a great one for your GF - even tho I voted for the parade, looking at this and having the input first hand from an owner, I'd be tempted to switch for this setting!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1348528254|3273951 said:
Oh Minmin! Thank you for posting that setting - that's one I'm looking at from JA for a little project! Its beautiful! Is it platinum or 14/18K WG? It looks so beautiful and delicate on your finger and you say it is comfortable??

That's a beautiful classic setting, jadebellyt, and would really be a great one for your GF - even tho I voted for the parade, looking at this and having the input first hand from an owner, I'd be tempted to switch for this setting!

Hi Enerchi. Thank you =) My setting is in 18k WG and yes it is comfortable or at least more comfortable compare to the setting with thicker sides due to their art works. =)

jadebellyt

Rough_Rock
Thanks a ton minmin! The ring looks fantastic! It really does help to see real life photos of the ring. I did notice that your ring is a bit different than the 3HD photos on the JA website. JA tells me that each ring is handmade and so no two of their rings look alike, so I was kind of curious how closely your ring came to the CGI photos on the site. Would you be able to comment on the differences I'm seeing that could possibly just be due to the camera?

1. Your basket prongs look pretty straight compared to the JA site which shows the prongs curving a bit more around the diamond?
2. The gap within each "scroll" on your rings looks less pronounced than the ones on the JA site. Does it change the look at all?
3. I'm not sure how to explain this one, but the junction point of the cathedral band and the ring band looks thicker than the pics on the JA site. Does this have to do with the height of the diamond maybe? Does it make the ring feel thicker?
4. I can't quite see the milgraining on your photo, but does your ring have tiny ball-shaped milgraining or the bar-shaped milgraining like shown on the JA site?
5. Regarding the taper, I see there is quite a lot of variation in the "recently purchased" pics section of the JA site. Some of the rings taper only slightly whereas some of the rings taper to a sharp pinpoint. Your ring looks to taper very slightly. Where you expecting more of a taper? Maybe a very slight taper is more preferred?

Thanks so much minmin! Sincere apologies for asking so many questions, but I greatly appreciate the up close and personal review :)

jadebellyt

Rough_Rock
Sorry, just wanted to bump the thread in hopes of getting minmin's attention :) Is there a private message function on the forum that I am not seeing?

jadebellyt

Rough_Rock
Hi All! She said YES! What a relief. I really want to say thank you to everyone who helped me through this process and finding the right ring. It was a long, but very fun experience and am glad I found this community. As you can see, I choose the simplier JA ring as I felt it fit her personality. I love the Parade, but I think it is a bit too busy and that would not suit her.

To be honest, I am not completely happy with the way the setting turned out as it looks different from the stock photos on JA and even Minmin's ring. I know there is always variation due to the ring being hand made, but I am not a fan of the prongs being squished together at the shank (there should be more even spacing between the legs of each prong) or the "scrolls" not having as much detail as the stock photos. They look like blobs vs well defined scrolls. Due to time constraints, I decided to propose with it as-is and didn't tell her about the fault. She loves the ring and says she wouldn't change a thing (of course she would say that). But I am really not completely happy with the ring.

What do you all think I should do? Should I just leave it the way it is, or send it back to JA to get it fixed/re-made?

_2203.jpg

_2204.jpg

_2205.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It does look different. BUT I actually prefer this basket as it will accommodate a closer fit with the wedding band than the other one would. Does your lady have an opinion on it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results