shape
carat
color
clarity

E ring dermatitis?

Q

Queenie60

Ok - this is the second time I've had dermatitis on my e ring finger. And, I do not have sensitive skin. Does anyone else get this and how do you treat it?

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wear platinum :lol-2:
Sorry to hear this condition is plaguing you. Do you find a particular piece is causing this irritation? Sounds like a nickel allergy. I’ve never had it, knock on wood.

Q

Queenie60

Seems to happen only with platinum. Ugg. My finger is swollen and feels callused.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think you should have a problem with platinum. It seems like I have read about this before on here, and there was some discussion about dampness, like after washing hands and the area remaining damp. I guess I'd try something topical...either antibiotic ointment, an antifungal? I am not sure. Tea tree oil is a good essential oil for skin issues, that I do know. My daughter uses it.

I hope you can get it figured out!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think dampness is the culprit here as well. I had a coworker who dealt with this years ago... she had white gold, so her derm advised she change to platinum, but still had the same issue. She had to be very careful to dry her hands and rings completely after each exposure to liquid. It helped, but she seemed to always have redness. I've also read great things about tea tree oil... it's worth a try. :)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My sister suffers with this under her wedding rings, and with her it is caused by dampness also. She removes her rings at night, and sometimes for a week or two depending on how bad it is, then rubs a Vitamin E oil into the affected area about 4 times each day. For her, this works, but it would definitely be a good idea to pop to the Pharmacy & let them take a look. Hope it clears for you quickly & isn't too itchy.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's either too wet in the area or the metal is causing an allergic reaction. The allergic reaction is less likely to occur with platinum, but if there is a rash I would attribute it to dampness in the area.

Leave the ring off for a few days, cortisone cream depending on severity. If it's platinum, make sure your hands are perfectly dry before putting it on and take it off for bed, shower, washing hands. If it's white gold then I'd look into platinum.

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
I had this happen with my previous wedding set (6mm total width) when my hands would be damp consistently (beach or lake vacation) and especially if I also got some cleaning fluid under there. The solution at the time was to take the rings off for a couple of weeks and use cortisone cream. I havn't had this happen with my new thinner set (3mm), I think because it dries more easily.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like it probably is the dampness, as so many have suggested. it may not be an appealing idea, but I would try not waering it at home, just when you go out. See what that does. And do make sure you dry your finger well when out if you wash it.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had it with a different ring. I went to my jeweler to seek his thoughts and he felt that a bacteria might be living on the metal of the ring. He let it clean in his ultrasonic machine with super hot water for ten minutes and I haven’t had a problem with it since! I did have to stop wearing any ring on that finger until the skin healed; if I remember correctly, i used an OTC cortisone cream twice a day until it was all gone.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s probably as others have said, a combination of dampness and your skin reacting. Sometimes skin gets a weird mind of its own.
I can’t wear cheap rings, really strong nickel allergy.
Made the mistake of buying a “fun” CZ and 925 silver eternity ring off eBay and guess what, not 925 silver! E9EC5EB3-AB71-4B32-84A6-A4DC2D1B4C20.jpeg

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My SIL has this issue, often. She’s a phlebotomist, and either has gloves on or is washing her hands. She is considering getting a silicone ring for work to see if that helps cut down on the frequency of the issue. She gets soap & water trapped under the rings, and having gloves on doesn’t help.
I’m going to tell her about tea tree oil, as well!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like something is getting trapped between your ring and your skin. Could be soap, lotion, etc. might be a good idea to carry a ring box in your purse and take your ring off to properly rinse away soap or let lotion sink in.

Q

Queenie60

Thank you for all of the great advise. It's not the metal as I wear my CVB platinum eternity ring. I'll try tea tree oil and also try leaving the ring off for a time. It's strange as I have very tough skin and have never been a person with rashes and skin issues. This is a strange one!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results