shape
carat
color
clarity

Dyson -- you Animal! Oh how I love thee!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Years and YEARS I resisted! Four Hundred Bucks for a cordless vac?! Crazy with a capital C! But after yet another disappointing experience with a cordless I caved and bought the Animal from Costco the other night. Now all I want to do is vacuum! I would say "How come no one told me about this?" But the reality is people DO tell you! Everyone with a Dyson RAVES about the thing... and they're right! And the economics: Cost of several other crappy vacs > ONE that works.

Any other Dyson lovers?!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me! Had their first Animal vacuum when it came out, now we have a Ball because we have more hardwood than carpet.

Can't go wrong with Dyson though, especially with multiple pets. Costco also had their standing fan, which is on my wishlist.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! Another Animal Dyson cordless lover!:appl:
I believe I was singing its praises far and wide. Didn't you hear me singing about it?:cheeky:

Happy sucking!8-)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I exercised a little restraint and only bought one the other night to test it out for the boathouse but I'm going back today and getting a second for my main house (they don't always have them in stock). Because... yanno... I NEED eight hundred dollars worth of cordless vacuums... They can keep the two shop vacs and the ancient Hoover upright that I already own company, right?!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha I bought 2 too. Lol.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I purchased the Ball and it sucks everything up but that ball won't let me get into tight corners. It died after 3 years though (and 1 warranty repair), and I went back to Miele, which has lasts longer.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two also! One for our 5th wheel trailer and one for the house! I love it too. I would make a suggestion to you Dee Jay~ buy a couple extra filters. The air filter and the cone filter. When they get dirty after a few weeks of vacuuming they need to be washed and dried for 24 hours. The vacuum starts cutting out when they need to be washed, and of course that happens when you NEED to vacuum. Having at least one extra set keeps that from being a problem.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2 here also, wouldn't have any other brand. Pretty much bulletproof too. DH has ordered parts from Dyson and kept our oldest one going just fine.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

We have two also. I love them!

cheers--Sharon

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee can you tell me which one you bought? My Dyson crapped out after about 6 years and I bought a Shark because I did not want to spend the $ at the time. Big mistake. It sucks, well it doesn't really and that is why it sucks plus the plastic is crap and cracks so easily. I have been afraid to buy the cordless stick one because the head is so small and I hate vacuuming so I want it to be done fast.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I glad to see I'm not alone!

Question: do you leave it plugged in and charging all the time? I do that with my other ones but one of the reviews I read said that was bad for it...?

Luv, thank you for the extra filter suggestion, I'll look into that right now because your right; the moment you CAN'T vacuum is the instant you NEED to!

Red, I got this one: https://www.costco.com/Dyson-V7-Animal+-Cordfree-Stick-Vacuum.product.100347800.html About the cup, this one you empty with the flip of a switch so you don't have to manhandle the cup off and on (which I do have to do with one of my other crappy cordless vacs). It's super gratifying... and somewhat scary... and even more *disgusting*... (!) to see all the stuff gather in the clear plastic container as you're going along.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay, does it work well on bare floor? I had an Animal years ago that I gave away because it scattered dirt on bare floor although it did a fabulous job on carpets.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I have the animal with the roller ball and love it! It's almost 7 years old and did die on us recently. However, big plus with dyson is they build in so many fail safe systems into their products. Turns out it was so clogged with cat hair (yes I didn't clean it out on a regular basis as per directions) that it overheated. Instead of blowing out the motor, the heat tripped a fuse that killed the unit. Smoke came out and I could smell burning. Was sure it was toast. More sure when it wouldn't turn back on even after letting it cool. Decided to take it apart because what do I have to lose right? It took me about an hour, but it's back up and running like day one.

Would buy their products again.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is ten years old, and, knock on wood, will last many more years. The first time I used it, I was astounded at how much it pulled from my carpet. It still impresses me.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought the first Dyson Animal when it came out... when it stopped having really good suction (after about 5 years), I bought another Animal -- kept the older Animal though. IT SUCKED. It lost suction after about 2 years, so I went back to the older one (not great suction, but better than the newer one).

I didn't want to spend a ton on a Dyson this time, so we went with the Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional for about $200 on Amazon about 8 months ago. So far, so good... The reviews were great, and we haven't had any issues so far.

I used my older Animal to vacuum the house and got about 1/2 canister full of junk (granted, it didn't have the suction of when it was new), then used my Shark and emptied it TWICE!! I was sold.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a Dyson canister vacuum, but I have to admit that I've been eyeing the cordless ones. Way more convenient for small jobs!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the animal with the roller ball and love it! It's almost 7 years old and did die on us recently. However, big plus with dyson is they build in so many fail safe systems into their products. Turns out it was so clogged with cat hair (yes I didn't clean it out on a regular basis as per directions) that it overheated. Instead of blowing out the motor, the heat tripped a fuse that killed the unit. Smoke came out and I could smell burning. Was sure it was toast. More sure when it wouldn't turn back on even after letting it cool. Decided to take it apart because what do I have to lose right? It took me about an hour, but it's back up and running like day one.

Would buy their products again.

lol no pun intended .:lol: Great testimony to Dyson......

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me! I have a dyson ball type and love it (so far). I've only had it for about 6 months but it really sucks everything up!
Hope it last but not sure about these new mostly plastic vacuums like Dyson and Shark. My last vacuum was about 15 years
old and it didnt really die but the suction just wasnt as strong as when it was new...my son has it now.

Dont like that the ball on the Dyson is so big that I cant get under things but I'm willing to put up with it for the suction it has!

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I too bought the Dyson Animal cordless from Costco, and I really do like it. I am not a fan of the regular Dyson Animal vacs because I find them unergonomic and clunky, and gave mine to my niece. I am thinking about buying a second cordless though. They are good to have around and are great on carpeted stairs.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have two! Wouldn't be without them!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too bought the Dyson Animal cordless from Costco, and I really do like it. I am not a fan of the regular Dyson Animal vacs because I find them unergonomic and clunky, and gave mine to my niece. I am thinking about buying a second cordless though. They are good to have around and are great on carpeted stairs.

True story. I had 100% (New Zealand) wool carpeting on my stairs and could not use a traditional vacuum for fear of unraveling. While using a brush and dustpan removed most of the surface dirt and tired of that chore...took a chance with my cordless..and YES!

Stairs + cordless = happy.

erislynn

Shiny_Rock
I've had a Dyson Animal for five years and it's still going strong. Seriously, a lot of thought went into the design and failsafe features. I love it! The only thing I don't love is how heavy it is to lug up the stairs. The cordless one looks so tempting but I'm wondering if it has enough suction power and if it can hold a charge long enough.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Dyson! I have two of them but am seriously thinking about the cordless vac. We just looked at one at Macy's the other night! Can't beat these vacuums IMO!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have two. For years. Want another.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Years and YEARS I resisted! Four Hundred Bucks for a cordless vac?! Crazy with a capital C! But after yet another disappointing experience with a cordless I caved and bought the Animal from Costco the other night. Now all I want to do is vacuum! I would say "How come no one told me about this?" But the reality is people DO tell you! Everyone with a Dyson RAVES about the thing... and they're right! And the economics: Cost of several other crappy vacs > ONE that works.

Any other Dyson lovers?!

YEP! We bought our Dyson Animal (regular, not cordless) in 2004 when we bought our house.....and it's STILL going strong 12.5 years later. It has worked better during those years than any other vac I've owned - EVER. I'd wager it has performed much better than the collection of vacs we'd have likely had over the years if not for this one, and I'm pretty sure it's been the economically better choice too (instead of 2-3 others that costed less but wouldn't have lasted). That $500 was cheap compared to what I'm sure we'd have spent on multiple lesser machines.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay, does it work well on bare floor? I had an Animal years ago that I gave away because it scattered dirt on bare floor although it did a fabulous job on carpets.

It does an amazing job on the bare floor. We hardly have any area rugs (does a great job on that too) and mainly just wood floors everywhere and it sucks up all the dirt, dust and animal hair (of which there is plenty) no problem. I LOVE the cordless (we also have the corded Dyson) Dyson and that is why we bought one for each home. Haha I would love to buy 2 more as backups but will resist the urge. For now.

I've had a Dyson Animal for five years and it's still going strong. Seriously, a lot of thought went into the design and failsafe features. I love it! The only thing I don't love is how heavy it is to lug up the stairs. The cordless one looks so tempting but I'm wondering if it has enough suction power and if it can hold a charge long enough.

The cordless is super light. The charge lasts anywhere from 15-20 minutes. So if I am vacuuming consistently (twice a week or so) that is good enough. But if it has been over a week all I do is vacuum first thing the the day and then charge it (it charges pretty quickly) and then vacuum a few hours later to finish the job. Really hasn't been a problem. And the newer ones might hold charges longer.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

The best thing about Dyson is their customer service. Our hose was damaged in a basement flood--I called Dyson and they delivered another one pronto. Free. I could not believe it. Customer for life. Worth every penny.

cheers--Sharon

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I have been eyeing the cordless. I have the regular animal dyson which is a necessity with my 2 long haired cats. Its SO clunky though and I am thinking of the cordless. It looks like its top heavy. Does it feel top heavy to use? And do you have to mount the charger on a wall or can you charge without mounting on a wall?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi kids! I'm FINALLY back! Was at the boathouse this weekend with virtually NO connectivity so I couldn't reply... and guess who forgot to pack The Animal in the car before she left... :roll: Oh well, I guess I'll just have a vacuumpalooza next Friday.

I don't have the charger mounted to the wall (yet), I just put it on the floor (yanno... in the middle of the hallway... so it would be in a OBVIOUS spot so that I would remember to take it with me last week when I left... :roll::roll::roll: ) and plugged one end of the charger into the wall and the other into the vac.

And I did order a second one for the main house last week after trying it out. I'm torn on what to do with the other crappy ones... I hate to throw them away so maybe I'll give them to the CB to use in his workshop because they seem to work better as handhelds than as uprights so maybe that would be useful to him.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We still use the 1970 Hoover yellow canister vac (looks like a little space ship lol) at my vacation house.

How much does the animal suck up before you have to empty it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results