shape
carat
color
clarity

Dye bleeding?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently went to Morocco and bought a beautiful wool cape (a djelleba to be exact) in a deep wine color. I had handled it before buying and it passed a quick check of water and a cloth that it was dye fast. But after wearing for a day against exposed skin I realized I had developed a slight red tinge! Oops. As did my shirt when inspected closely.

I don’t know much about natural dyes or wool. Confession: most of my clothes are 10$ on amazon, synthetic, and nearly indestructible in a washing machine.

Any suggestions on treatments so that I don’t keep looking mildly sunburnt after wearing my new cloak?

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I actually don't know what you should do, but in the past when I have had similar problems with scarves from istambul I have soaked them in salt solution. In the hope of bleeding some excess dye out and making the rest more colour fast. I am a bit hesitant that your wool fabric may shrink slightly upon washing and also worried that when you wash it you should probably lie it flat over multiple ropes of a clothes line with a towel underneath to stop tension from pegs etc from stretching parts of it unevenly.

Love the jedi pic. The cape was worth it just for that picture!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful cape and color! Gah, there are some fashion-related mishaps no one wants to deal with, and this is one of them. (Others include revealing malfunctions, rips/tears, and all-around ill-fit). I remember being pretty heartbroken over a pair of light-colored espadrilles turning a light blue due to my brand-new jeans (which were perfectly hemmed!) rubbing against them. It's just so unexpected!

This may be helpful: https://www.countessablaze.com/pages/caring-for-hand-dyed-yarn (citric acid plus heat), but I would consult a local professional who can see and touch the garment to get the best idea of how to set the dye. I know a lot of people who actually grow their own dye gardens and utilize harvested plants/dye in their making processes. It's a really cool thing to know how to do. There has to be a fix for your cape issue. If you need further assistance I can suggest some Instagrammers who deal with natural dyes and wool who may be able to assist.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
what a beautiful garment and a lovelly colour
at least you know you have a potential problem you wont ruin it by accidental
good luck,.you will find someone who will know exactly what to do and all will be good

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the tips! Haha, if it shrunk a little that'd be perfect since it's a wee bit long.
I got a great deal on it since I bought it when it was 107 degrees that week, so nobody was in the market for a heavy wool cape but me. So even if I ruin it, it's only 35$

dazzle66

Rough_Rock
This is a common problem in the knitting community. If you search for info for setting color for hand dyed yarn, you'll find several different protocols. I know there's a product called Synthrapol that might help. I'd also make sure to be very gentle with the cape, hand wash only, hang or lay flat to dry; you don't want to felt the wool.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results