shape
carat
color
clarity

Duty Tax/Import Tax goods mailed into the US

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

please_help

Rough_Rock
Hello fellow PriceScopers!

I had a question regarding US Customs and import tax. I am currently in the process of getting a diamond ring shipped from Japan to California. Now, the estimated import tax I was quoted through FedEx was more than the actual cost of the ring, which was about $1,100US (which is the total landing cost). Does anyone know if there is a tax-exemption for goods mailed in as personal affects or personal use? I know when you mail in gifts from overseas, you're entitled to $200 tax-exemption.

Also, I know that when you're traveling overseas and enter back into the States, you're allowed $800 tax-exemption for goods brought in through Customs.

So basically, at the cost that I'm being quoted for import tax, I'm getting charged 100% of the cost of the ring and so it'll be cheaper for me to fly to Japan and bring it back home in person.

Does anyone know any policy regarding shipping diamond rings from overseas???

Apparently, I didn't think this very thoroughly when I bought the ring from Niwaka in Japan. Any help with this would be great. Kind of kicking myself in the butt for this

Thanks in advance!
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results