shape
carat
color
clarity

Durrants of Hatton Garden, London - anyone use them?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey all,

Another post from me seeking input, apologies!!

I was in London recently and was looking around Hatton Garden at some of the settings (I have sorted out a CBI diamond which seems to look a lot nicer than some of the stuff I saw round there!) and I popped into Durrants as I remembered they do Custom work and I am struggling to find 'off the shelf' settings I like.

As I posted in the 'cost of custom work' thread (this link should get you somewhere in the thread! [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cost-of-custom-work-in-the-us-versus-uk.199802/#post-3637336#p3637336']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cost-of-custom-work-in-the-us-versus-uk.199802/#post-3637336#p3637336[/URL] ) the guy seemed straight talking, no BS, no airs and graces or snobbery, which I like (and anyone wh a ouple of chilled out pet dogs in the shop with them is clearly not out to impress or be shallow!) and his estimate for something similar to a Danhov piece was around a grand in platinum, somewhat less than Danhov!!

A quick search reveals very few mentions of them (https://www.pricescope.com/search/node/durrants ) but the guy said they do work for Cartier, Graff, and others I can't recall, so effectively going with them could cut out the middleman and save some cash.

He said stones were insured while they had them (although I'm not sure about during setting them?) and they would happily set stones so laser inscriptions were visible and checkable. He said stone loss once being worn was also covered, but that they've not lost one in something like 30 years, so was pretty confident in their work. (I would still like this in writng lol) They can also do CAD and provide wax moulds for review, I believe.

So, if anyone has had any work done by them or have heard stories about them, good or bad, please do post up! :)

EDIT:

Few links!

http://www.hatton-garden.net/designers/durrantslondon

http://www.durrantslondon.com/

https://www.facebook.com/durrantslondonjewellery
Lots of pics of their work!

charks

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Can't give you a review of Durrants but I'm very interested in them if they can replicate Danhov rings for approx £1000.

What ring have they given you a quote for?

My experience of UK jewellers is that they are way more expensive than US jewellers and a couple of quotes I've had recently for custom work have been ridiculous!!!

Also, without being cheeky, can I ask why you are obsessed with tension settings?

I know that the UK High Street doesn't have much variety but,when asked to pick a ring, your girlfriend picked traditional solitaire settings.

I agree with you that tension settings are really stylish and it's unusual to be able to see right through the diamond but I'd bet most females on Pricescope wouldn't choose one. IMO they are quite masculine and I would always be frightened that the stone would 'ping' out.

I understand the desire to get her a really unique ring but is it practical and will she like it?

TrueBlue

Rough_Rock
charks|1404844760|3709109 said:
Hi,

Also, without being cheeky, can I ask why you are obsessed with tension settings?

I know that the UK High Street doesn't have much variety but,when asked to pick a ring, your girlfriend picked traditional solitaire settings.

I agree with you that tension settings are really stylish and it's unusual to be able to see right through the diamond but I'd bet most females on Pricescope wouldn't choose one. IMO they are quite masculine and I would always be frightened that the stone would 'ping' out.

I understand the desire to get her a really unique ring but is it practical and will she like it?

Quoting this just to +1. My OH proposed to me with a tension set engagement ring as a surprise. Yes, it's interesting to look all the way through, but there's a lot of metal, which swamps my smaller diamond (0.33 carat, which was about the average size in the UK when I got engaged 11 years ago), is heavy given the diamond size, and I am constantly worried that the stone will fall out. I haven't worn it in years, but can't replace it (or even mention that it's not perfect) because it would hurt OH's feelings so much because of all the effort he went to in having it made.

If your fiancee is interested in a traditional setting, I would get her just what she wants.

I haven't used Durrants but they do seem one of the more professional Hatton Garden outfits.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your input from your personal experience, TrueBlue, that's really useful :)

You are right that my other half is quite traditional but she equally does not want a ring with a high-set stone that might catch on things, hence a tension ring would satisfy her low-set preference and my coolness preference! :tongue: :sun: lol

I do hear what you're saying about them potentially looking too 'heavy', though, and I may well end up with a bridge or 'faux-tension' setting so I can make it look more lightweight while still keeping the general style :)

charks|1404844760|3709109 said:
Hi,

Can't give you a review of Durrants but I'm very interested in them if they can replicate Danhov rings for approx £1000.

What ring have they given you a quote for?

My experience of UK jewellers is that they are way more expensive than US jewellers and a couple of quotes I've had recently for custom work have been ridiculous!!!

I like several of the Danhov rings:
http://www.danhov.com/engagement/view-all/

but the one we discussed and he estimated (off the top of his head) that he could probably make in platinum for around £1k was this one:
http://www.danhov.com/engagement/view-all/v137
and I think he was saying he could maintain the tension setting due to the increased safety from the wrap-around effect of the band. Hopefully this one wouldn't look too masculine! lol

I just like them because I think they're cool and technically clever :) The other half was very probably just sending me the pics of 'classic' solitaire engagement rings which I posted up on here because they were cheap and it's what the ring means rather than what the ring looks like that is important to her - she just wants a proposal and a ring, any ring, as long as it's not massive and blingy... :lol: so I think she'll like whatever I get her, unless it's some huge and heavy thing with a 2ct rock on top lol I just want to get something that looks delicate yet is sturdy, that looks classy yet cool, for a not-too-silly cost :))

charks

Rough_Rock
OoohShiney

I love the ring you've picked.

I originally wanted a Danhov setting.

But the price of the setting was over £2500 in the UK and the quote I got for a custom knock-off was over £3200.

I couldn't justify spending that sort of money on a new setting.

It's so annoying reading posts on this site about US bench prices.

We have a bum deal here in the UK.

I'm really envious that you have found a UK jeweller that will make you a Danhov copy for only approx £1000.

Please keep us up to date with your progress.

Got to go.

Have to eat a load of roast potatoes smothered in rich gravy.

Nice!!!!

But I feel guilty - you're doing all leg work and theI'm extremely interested to find out the result.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the link, Rocky, some good pics on that thread! :)

I'm not sure about the not-in-a-line sides on that one and on similar ones - I know the danhov I posted is similar but I think it's a little more in-line all the way round, if that makes sense? :???:

It's good to have some persepective shots, though, they are very helpful!

charks|1404938938|3709985 said:
OoohShiney

I love the ring you've picked.

I originally wanted a Danhov setting.

But the price of the setting was over £2500 in the UK and the quote I got for a custom knock-off was over £3200.

I couldn't justify spending that sort of money on a new setting.

It's so annoying reading posts on this site about US bench prices.

We have a bum deal here in the UK.

I'm really envious that you have found a UK jeweller that will make you a Danhov copy for only approx £1000.

Please keep us up to date with your progress.

Got to go.

Have to eat a load of roast potatoes smothered in rich gravy.

Nice!!!!

But I feel guilty - you're doing all leg work and I'm extremely interested to find out the result.
Two grand for a few grams of platinum is a lot :shock: but I appreciate that work has to be put in to make it, they have overheads to cover, and they have a label to maintain for market presence with...

I will let you know if/when I make a decision and actually get something sorted out. September is the deadline so I have a little while, but given this year is disappearing in a flash... :shock: :lol:

charks

Rough_Rock
Better make your decision soon - September is just around the corner.

If your proposal date is late September you should go to the International Jewellery Show at Olympia.

I've been there many times.

More bling than Bet Lynch but all real.

Mountains of melee.

Masses of loose diamonds and precious stones.

High end to bottom scam - it's all there.

It's well worth a visit.

Probably help you with the pair of studs you want.

www.jewellerylondon.com/register

You know it makes sense!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tell me about it - it's only a couple of months now I think about it, eek! :shock:

I do want to go to the Olympia thing but it's Trade only :( and I don't know anyone to blag my way in with :lol:

robk

Rough_Rock
With the pound at $1.70 now it's probably cheaper to fly to the US and do everything there. Yes the immigration is a hassle but JFK isn't *that* bad!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, just to come back to this, I did go with them in the end and I'm very happy I did :)

As mentioned above, no nonsense, no fawning insincerity, down-to-earth and happy to listen and advise while not being pushy or 'yes (wo)men', plus they have some amaaaazing stones come through there to ogle!

Definitely pay them a visit if you are considering a ring from Hatton Garden IMHO :)

I have posted pictures of their work in my thread on the CBI stone I put into a ring!
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/crafted-by-infinity-0-67ct-f-vvs2.202616/page-4']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/crafted-by-infinity-0-67ct-f-vvs2.202616/page-4[/URL]
(Ring pics start about page 3, I believe!)

EDIT: Oh, and I am very glad I picked up the CBI stone at around $1.68/£, seeing as it's now back down to $1.55 or so! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results