shape
carat
color
clarity

Dry Wedding

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
No, I''m not having one, I''m attending one. Can I bring a flask?????? I really mean this tongue in cheek b/c I''d never do it (I don''t think?)...

Have you attended a dry wedding? How was it? Did you sneak in some contraband??
11.gif
38.gif
9.gif
18.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally think it would be disrespectful. You don''t necessarily know the reason behind the B&G not serving alcohol, it could be for religious reasons, etc. If you know it''s not because of religion (maybe serving alcohol is too expensive, etc) then I would ask the bride or groom what their feelings are on the subject. If they say sure, then bring it but be subtle about your drinking and please don''t drink to the point of intoxication. If they say no, then maybe have a drink or two before the wedding if you feel a buzz is necessary and then make plans with other friends at the event to continue the celebration at a bar following the reception.

laine

Brilliant_Rock
I brought a flask to a beer and wine reception (I don''t drink either one) so that I could have my run and cokes. I don''t think I''d do it at a dry wedding though.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
I''d say that at least half - and maybe more - of the weddings I''ve attended have been dry. I''ve never missed having a drink in my hand, and the wedding that was probably the most fun of any I''ve attended was completely dry. It certainly didn''t put a damper on the dancing!

I would never bring my own alcohol. It would be obnoxious, especially if the wedding is dry for religious reasons. Honestly, I would probably look askance at someone who couldn''t get through an evening without a drink.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you''re not used to attending dry functions I totally understand thinking you might need to bring a flask. As long as you don''t make a big deal of it and you maintain a low profile (don''t get drunk and act like an idiot) I don''t see a problem with it.

FutureMrsMRS

Rough_Rock
I agree that it could be very bad form to do so. I attended a dry wedding that was such because it was a Christian center and they didn''t allow alcohol.

I''m HAVING a dry wedding because I don''t envision my wedding as a ''party''. And to help with that, we''re doing it all fairly early (Noon ceremony time, 2 o''clock reception), with heavy hors d''ouervres and dessert.

Different strokes for different folks...

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
I feel like bringing your own alcohol to someone's dry wedding (whatever the reason is for their not having alcohol) is akin to bringing your own meal: it's rude. If you can't get through a party without a drink, don't attend.

ETA: I actually think bringing your own alcohol to someone's wedding where other alcohol IS being served is rude, too. It's like saying what the hosts have provided isn't good enough for you.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I would not bring alchohol that would be quite rude, and really, I think you can still have a blast at dry weddings, sometimes peole even find it refreshing as they can be a little more laid-back (and remember everything the next day
3.gif
)

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Pre-funk!

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I have only been to one dry wedding. I am not a big drinker and can go weeks without a drink even during social occasions, but do like a drink now and then. I did not bring alcohol...and probably would not bring alcohol to a dry wedding at all. I just can go without it so its not a big deal.

However, I found the wedding to be terribly boring (and tension filled which did make it a LITTLE more entertaining but that is another story)...but I think that had more to do with the wedding overall and not to do with the lack of alcohol. Her side of the family was quite religious which was the reason behind not having alcohol (though not religious enough to stop one of the brides sisters from hitting on the married youth minister (the officiant) while his wife and kids were there..ha!). Though his side of the family and friends was definitely NOT religious, obviously they decided this was the route they wanted to go. That is fine, I am just the guest after all. It was only a few hours anyway.

Though, given it was 30+ degrees, an outdoor wedding with little shade and BBQ after...a cold beer would have been nice and it might have helped soothe over a lot of the tension for a few of the guests there. A flask might not have been a bad idea after all.

Seems I was not the only one who thought that as a few people joked about going across the road to pick up a 2-4 and most of us left early and went and bought some cold beer to drink afterward in one of the other guests backyards. It was refreshing by that point!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uhmmm... you make it through the work day without a flask, don''t you? Even if you have to meet/mix/make nice with people you don''t know all that well or don''t necessarily like? Why is a wedding reception all that different?

I understand your question is tongue-in-cheek, but I don''t understand the consternation (generally) about dry weddings. And I do think it would be disrespectful to the hosts to bring your own drinks.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
I''ll clarify...I was mostly joking. I would never blatantly bust into a wedding boozing or intoxicated.

It''s my brother''s wedding. The venue does not permit alcohol. As some of you know, there has been a bit of drama, to which I have not entirely shared everything, but a drink or two will ease the tensions. I don''t imagine I''ll bring a flask, but I sure will be throwing a few back beforehand!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just do it responsibly and privately and you have nothing to worry about.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
I''ll be honest (and this is on the subject, not directed to megumic)
- I was insulted when my friends joked that they wanted to bring flasks to the wedding. I am already providing beer, wine and champange. This is not a frat party. I just don''t understand the need to get DRUNK for events that are supposed to be special. Okay, off my soap box
9.gif

With that - My best friend''s wedding was dry and we did enjoy some champange before the wedding. She chose not to serve due to other family members drinking problems. But it did not stop us from enjoying her last few moments with a bit of bubbly!

laine

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/30/2010 12:15:25 PM
Author: jcarlylew
I''ll be honest (and this is on the subject, not directed to megumic)

- I was insulted when my friends joked that they wanted to bring flasks to the wedding. I am already providing beer, wine and champange. This is not a frat party. I just don''t understand the need to get DRUNK for events that are supposed to be special. Okay, off my soap box
9.gif

While I certainly can''t judge the intent of your friends, I can say that I''m one who has brought a flask to a wedding. Yes, its not a frat party. Yes, they were serving beer, wine and champagne. BUT, I don''t drink beer, wine or champagne. I''d like to have two or three drinks like the rest of the wedding guests (not get really drunk). So, my solution was a discrete flask that I used to quietly add to my sodas. I don''t really see why that should be offensive. (I certainly agree that openly swigging from a flask with the intent of getting wasted definitely isn''t cool!)

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s one thing to be discreet with your hard liquor if you don''t drink wine/beer (I''m the same way BTW). But you don''t need to run around taking swigs off the top of it and talking about how you have it. I''m not trying to imply that you did that Laine, if anything I''m backing you up.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There''s a reason flasks are made small/slim/easily concealable. And I think the reason is dry weddings.
9.gif

I would be the one bringing food/snacks or eating before the wedding for dietary reasons. If that''s insulting, too bad.

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been to one. It was really boring, but there was also no dancing or music or traditional bouquet tosses, etc. You literally came to the reception, ate some finger sandwiches and punch, talked to the groom''s cousin''s next door neighbors for 20 minutes, put your gift on the table and left after tossing rice at the bride and groom upon exit.

We had a beer & wine reception. People seems to be plenty satisfied with it. (but I think a lot pre-gamed before the wedding- ha ha).

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve taken a flask to a wedding once, and believe me, it was needed in this case. I couldn''t NOT attend because I was a bridesmaid, but it was a very tense situation where about 90% of the guests didn''t want the couple to get married (so much so that the groom''s mother made it a public service announcement that she missed her son''s ex girlfriend!), so yeah, I had a flask, I had a few sips throughout the wedding, and I didn''t kill anyone, haha! I say pre-game--as long as you''re not shnockered, it''s all gravy, baby!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2010 12:59:27 PM
Author: monarch64
There''s a reason flasks are made small/slim/easily concealable. And I think the reason is dry weddings.
9.gif

I would be the one bringing food/snacks or eating before the wedding for dietary reasons. If that''s insulting, too bad.
i totally get this! I actually told my friend (who doesn''t eat pork) what we will be serving for food, and to make sure she chows down before hand
37.gif

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
9.gif

AGREED 100%!!!

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/30/2010 2:56:46 PM
Author: doodle
I''ve taken a flask to a wedding once, and believe me, it was needed in this case. I couldn''t NOT attend because I was a bridesmaid, but it was a very tense situation where about 90% of the guests didn''t want the couple to get married (so much so that the groom''s mother made it a public service announcement that she missed her son''s ex girlfriend!), so yeah, I had a flask, I had a few sips throughout the wedding, and I didn''t kill anyone, haha! I say pre-game--as long as you''re not shnockered, it''s all gravy, baby!

I''m in a very similar situation, although slightly different, so yes, I think I need a flask
11.gif
38.gif

Did the couple end up staying together??

beadchick

Shiny_Rock
As someone considering the dry wedding thing for a bit, and having many friends say they would be bringing flasks in response, we are now having wine and beer. I am a drinker, so the no alcohol thing was mostly due to FI''s parents. It got to the point where we got told by EVERYONE they''d be bringing flasks! We decided to do wine and beer as a way of controlling alcohol consumption. All I could think of was intoxicated partiers barfing over the venue''s porch! LOL!

I know you were joking in the posting of the thread, but I DO think that if considering the flask thing, it has to me very well hidden. Plus, no one else will be drinking, so who wants to get trashed when everyone else will be sober? Could be potentially very embarrassing!

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I might. Not for the alcohol, but I do not drink soda so it would only be water for me otherwise. We did have booze at our wedding, but we made sure the sauce or frosting, etc had alcohol in them because of recover alcoholics in my family. I tried to find out what each on preferred to drink like ice tea tea or NA beer and have it for them. If anyone had brought a flask to the wedding I would not have been offended. In fact, DH probably would have joined them as he is not a huge wine/beer fan.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2010 11:11:47 AM
Author: VRBeauty
Uhmmm... you make it through the work day without a flask, don''t you? Even if you have to meet/mix/make nice with people you don''t know all that well or don''t necessarily like? Why is a wedding reception all that different?

I understand your question is tongue-in-cheek, but I don''t understand the consternation (generally) about dry weddings. And I do think it would be disrespectful to the hosts to bring your own drinks.

Ditto. I would never take a flask into a dry wedding, you never know why the B&G have made the decision, but anyway that''s besides the point. They have made that decision and since you are lucky enough to be invited to share in their day, you should be respectful of their choices.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
pure speculation: maybe the bride is preggo and demanded a dry wedding???? two months of engagement is straight evidence of a shot gun...no? LOL. sorry. I can''t help myself.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
9.gif

Right, but that''s for dietary reasons. If someone has a health condition or religious conviction that requires them not to go more than 6 hours without an alcoholic beverage, then I could see where a flask wouldn''t be rude.

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/1/2010 4:01:09 PM
Author: TheBigT

9.gif

Right, but that''s for dietary reasons. If someone has a health condition or religious conviction that requires them not to go more than 6 hours without an alcoholic beverage, then I could see where a flask wouldn''t be rude.
Where do I sign up for that religion?
2.gif

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I''d never bring my own alcohol (or food, for that matter) to someone else''s event. I *might* pregame (eat) beforehand. I am a social drinker and dry weddings are not my thing, but still, I wouldn''t bring a flask.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never attended a dry wedding, but I don''t think it would be a big deal. I rarely drink so it wouldn''t bother me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results