shape
carat
color
clarity

Driving myself nuts...

Brad208

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

Been studying so much and I still feel like I'm no closer to finding the perfect stone. These are the criteria I've been using:

Color: D-F
Depth: 60-70
Excellent polish and symmetry
Clarity: VVS2 and up
Ratio: 1.45-1.6
Table: 60-70, but lower than depth
Girdle: very thin to slightly thick

I found one recently with the below info from GIA and I'm wondering if I can finally pull the trigger on it? At around 8K, is there any reason I shouldn't buy this diamond?

Thank you!
Brad Screenshot_20191221-224149_Gmail.jpg

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any photos or a video? I’m no expert on emerald cuts but I do know you can’t tell everything just from the certificate.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
You need to be attracted to the shape. Avoid pavilion bulge. If cut corners, make sure they are similar in length. High clarity important for emerald cuts but IF extremely overkill by car unless you just want that because it is IF. I definitely agree with your high color choice as color is more visible in ECs. D is not necessary unless you want to know you have a D... E would be fine.

Brad208

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for the prompt replies. I do like the shape (as does she). Should I be asking for that other thing? The ASET or something? That's the only thing I'm completely unfamiliar with. Here are some pictures as well. 20191222_082408.jpg 20191222_082423.jpg 20191222_082212.jpg 20191222_082133.jpg 20191222_082111.jpg 20191222_082148.jpg

Reactions: AV_

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, ask for an ASET image. Put the stone on hold and provide the link so we can see the stone moving.

Is $8k your budget? I'll look around some.

Edit

That stone you are looking at is around $6k. I thought $8k sounded a little high. It looks like a nice stone.

Hmmm...didnt find much other JA. Only this one. Looks like it has 2 steps lighting up at the same time

Last edited:

Brad208

Rough_Rock
Meaning the stone I asked about should be closer to $6K? That one you posted looks awesome. Should I get the ASET for both and post? I don't know what to look for in an ASET. Also, can you explain what you mean by the two steps lighting? Is that good or bad? Here's the link to the diamond I was viewing:

Thanks for all your help!
Brad

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I have no real expert advice. I just wanted to say I love emeralds. GL on fining your stone.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suggest you email David at Diamonds by Lauren. He is great with fancy shapes.

Plus, you get the benefit that he will see the stone and can tell you about it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meaning the stone I asked about should be closer to $6K? That one you posted looks awesome. Should I get the ASET for both and post? I don't know what to look for in an ASET. Also, can you explain what you mean by the two steps lighting? Is that good or bad? Here's the link to the diamond I was viewing:

Thanks for all your help!
Brad

Are you looking at Canadian dollar? This is showing up as $6160 in U.S. dollars for me.
You need to put it on hold. Put the other one on hold too and ask for the ASET at the same time.

What I mean by two steps lighting up at once means that it looks like one big step instead of two separate smaller steps. Usually dont want
this to happen.

I also found this one which has lower clarity but I'm pretty sure would be eye-clean. Its showing up as $3530.

I still really like the stone you picked though.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matthews1127, @OoohShiny could you offer some suggestions and advice for someone searching for an emerald cut?
I've had a busy weekend and will be busy for a couple of days, but I should be able to have a look around perhaps Xmas Eve or Xmas Day, when I will need to get some head-space and escape the family :D lol

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few that caught my non-expert eye on JA within a USD6.5k budget :)

Maybe too much dark contrast but might be the camera being too close.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is something a bit different - perhaps something that @AV_ would like! :D

I can't work out if this is a bit low-contrast or has amazing Hall of Mirrors effect:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
In theory I prefer VS grades, but can overlook the inconvenient premium for higher clarity for the sake of a particularly beautiful cut which seems to be the case!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results