shape
carat
color
clarity

Driving my partner crazy - please help!

puppalini

Rough_Rock
Hello PriceScope lovelies...

Who knew there was a whole community of diamond lovers out there! Thank you for this amazing resource.
I've been lurking, admiring & absorbing info for a few weeks so thought it was about time to post.

My partner and I have been together for about 15 years and we've decided to make it official.

I'm in New Zealand and really, the choices are quite limited here as well as being expensive*. We're off to Hawaii at the beginning of June so have decided to buy the ring online and have the ring delivered there, so I need to get a wriggle on.

So, here's my dilemma...

We want the engagement to be a surprise so have told no-one. Not my fabulous sisters (I have many!), or wonderful best friend so I've turned into a neurotic pre-bridezilla trying to get my partner's input. Something tells me he's reached his limit ;-) so I've turned to PS to ask if you could please help me see things a wee bit more clearly.

I like to think I'm a pretty decisive person and always though I'd want a three stone classic for my ring but since I fell down the PS rabbit hole (damn you kids with your giant diamonds!!) I'm not so sure anymore!

My partner likes solitaires, I don't that much because I like the diamonds to cover my finger (I have a couple of rows of diamonds for RHRs). But then I randomly tried on this one at a mall chain store here in NZ... http://www.michaelhill.com/1-1-2-carat-tw-diamond-aria-ring-12385867.html and it was very pretty on. Please ignore the extra details eg: the pink sapphire, rose gold etc. It's really the cathedral pave setting that I like. You don't really see many like that here.

I'm leaning towards JamesAllen.com or BrianGavinDiamonds.com for the diamonds so would like to stick with a setting from them but can't really find a close match to that Michael Hill one. Novori have one (http://www.novori.com/diamond-engagement-ring-side-diamonds-13028R2-p.html ) but I don't want to get the diamonds from them.

My questions..
- Do I maybe get BGD to match the setting?
- Or Buy the Novori setting and get it sent to JA or BGD?
- Or just go with a the more traditional three stone (like the BGD Truth x3)

The photos attached are of (1) 1.5ct Pave Solitare on my hand (2) Pave solitare side view - sorry so blurry (3) Three stone (probably 2ctw-ish) on my hand, again apologies for the blurry photo (4) My mock up of BGD three stone options face on (why on earth do they only have the face on shots of them upside down?!)

Other points -
- My ring size is 7
- Platinum setting
- Centre stone >1 ct
- Wedding band to fit tightly against the engagement ring

Huge thanks in advance :)
Libby

* To give you an idea of cost here in NZ, that MH Aria ring is 1.5ct centre, H I1, 2.21ctw = NZ $22,500 (approx US $19,500). No details on the cut.

ariapavesolitaire.jpg

ariapavesolitaire-side.jpg

_17619.jpg

bgd-comparison.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me, if you've always wanted a three stone, that's what you should get. Sure a pave solitaire has turned your head for now, but I think a three stone is classic and you can wear a lot of different bands with it. Pave solitaires are limiting with wedding band options.

So my vote goes for the Truth x3 or the Queen Dinnah. They are the ones that allow you the most wedding band options.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy said:
For me, if you've always wanted a three stone, that's what you should get. Sure a pave solitaire has turned your head for now, but I think a three stone is classic and you can wear a lot of different bands with it. Pave solitaires are limiting with wedding band options.

So my vote goes for the Truth x3 or the Queen Dinnah. They are the ones that allow you the most wedding band options.

Ditto.

puppalini

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your thoughts Gypsy & Purplesilk :)

I've got a few rows of diamonds already (see pic, middle one is stolen from my sister for now) and I guess once I started looking for real, I realised that the three stone would look quite similar (I was looking at 1 ct centre, 0.5ct sides).

The pave solitaire option just seemed a bit different plus I could get a bigger centre stone.

Gypsy, could you please explain why the pave solitare settings are more limiting with wedding band options. Thanks

_17622.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pave shank will pretty much mean that the best match is the same as the e-ring shank.

I would also agree that a three stone will give you more finger coverage for a size 7 and there might be a lot less hassle with no losing pave stones. The e-ring needs to be what YOU like best. The next time he buys a car for himself, it should be what he likes best. :)) But even with the 3 stone, I would only want a relatively thin band with diamonds with it, so I am not sure it will give you many more options as to bands.

The pricing on the ring you showed us sounds crazy high. Here is a 1.5 ct H I1 diamond for $7130. Add a couple thousand for the setting and you'd be under $10k here!!!!!!

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.52-carat-h-color-i1-clarity-very-good-cut-sku-294281

What is your total budget in US $ ?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

puppalini

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys for your input. I think I am going to stick with the three stone :)
Was thinking about the pave and as I want to wear my ring all the time (& am pretty relaxed about being careful!) I'll probably end up losing the stones at some point.

puppalini

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1399036330|3665011 said:
The pricing on the ring you showed us sounds crazy high. Here is a 1.5 ct H I1 diamond for $7130. Add a couple thousand for the setting and you'd be under $10k here!!!!!!

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.52-carat-h-color-i1-clarity-very-good-cut-sku-294281

What is your total budget in US $ ?

Yes, diamonds are VERY expensive here, hence you don't tend to see huge diamonds. 0.75ct - 1ct would be considered quite large.

We're looking around US $13k, depending on the exchange rate at the time.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would change your proportions. I'd do 35 point sidestones not 50 point ones. That will bring the setting cost down. AND it will keep the focus on your center stone and make it look larger in proportion. And allow you to get a larger center stone.

Here's what I'd get:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.351-i-si1-round-diamond-ags-c-104069485028
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.365-i-si1-round-diamond-ags-c-104069462034 4.5mm sidestones

$1500 for the sidestones

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.248-i-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104053870053 7mm stone

$9,172

Setting: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/truth-x-3-platinum-5450p#more in platinum

$2195

Plus I think they might be having a mother's day special with 10% off certain things, so I'd ask if the sale includes any of these.

$12900 total.

This picture is 7mm center with 5 mm sides. So the above would give you about this look (slightly smaller sides) which is a wonderful look.

thr216g.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s Libster''s 1.12 center with .30 each on the side. It will be very close to what I've posted for you above. That center is slightly larger and so are the sidestones, but the proportions are very close to what I suggested. See how the proportions of the sidestones make the center look really large?

lbr7.jpg

This is a very nice look. And your budget is just right for it!

puppalini

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1399102525|3665438 said:
Here''s Libster''s 1.12 center with .30 each on the side. It will be very close to what I've posted for you above. That center is slightly larger and so are the sidestones, but the proportions are very close to what I suggested. See how the proportions of the sidestones make the center look really large?

lbr7.jpg

This is a very nice look. And your budget is just right for it!

Oh my gravy, that is just gorgeous, Gypsy. Thanks for taking the time to find & post the pic. The smaller sides look fantastic and it's made me realise that I really do want a three stone after all :)

Do you know what the setting is?
Off to look for some diamonds...

puppalini

Rough_Rock
puppalini|1399105874|3665447 said:
Oh my gravy, that is just gorgeous, Gypsy. Thanks for taking the time to find & post the pic. The smaller sides look fantastic and it's made me realise that I really do want a three stone after all :)

Do you know what the setting is?
Off to look for some diamonds...

Opps, just realised I missed your first post with all the settings.. I was drooling over the ring shot at the end ;-)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The stones I posted for you are lovely. If you like them, I would put them on hold. And then ask if any other's day specials would apply to the purchase (including the Truthx3 setting).

puppalini

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1399108489|3665454 said:
The stones I posted for you are lovely. If you like them, I would put them on hold. And then ask if any other's day specials would apply to the purchase (including the Truthx3 setting).

Yes, they are gorgeous and I really appreciate you taking the time to look & post :) I have emailed JA (via their web chat) but no response yet. Might just call instead.

Just have to make a final decision on the setting. I've added the BGD Crossed Trellis back into the mix because the real life photos of it look really lovely in recordras' thread [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-bgd-3-stone-crossed-trellis-reset.200365/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-bgd-3-stone-crossed-trellis-reset.200365/[/URL]

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer the Truth z3 because you can wear any straight wedding band with it ans it will sit flush. The trellis will not allow a flush straight band.

puppalini

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1399156464|3665690 said:
I prefer the Truth z3 because you can wear any straight wedding band with it ans it will sit flush. The trellis will not allow a flush straight band.

Ah yes, that's definitely a consideration. Thanks for the reminder.

I tried to get in touch with BGD last night (to put those diamonds on hold) but didn't have any luck. I used their live chat (had to leave a message & email address), phoned them (no answer, went to voicemail message) & emailed Lesley (just guessed at the her address as Denise hadn't responded to an email from a few days ago so I thought she might be away) but No answer this morning. Oh, I also tried using the contact us form but it wouldn't submit :/

Will try again today - has anyone else had these kind of problems getting hold of BGD?
I've been talking to James Allen peeps and they are SO responsive that it's making BGD look bad ;-)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I've never personally had much issue getting a hold of them.

But you might want to wait till Monday first thing and call???

puppalini

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1399177589|3665872 said:
Well, I've never personally had much issue getting a hold of them.

But you might want to wait till Monday first thing and call???

Hi Gypsy, I did manage to get hold of Lesley (Denise is on holiday until Tues hence the lack of reply!) and Lesley has been very helpful. She put the three diamonds you suggested on hold (I had to be invoiced for them to have them on hold - is that usual?) and we're just working through a few other details.

Thanks again for all of your help :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good to know! Last time I put diamonds on hold (5 of them for a band), I was invoiced. If you decide against it they will just reverse it. =)

I think the ring is going to be fabulous!

AVCadmirer

Shiny_Rock
Wow that's going to be one amazing e-ring. Gypsy has done an exceptional job choosing those. Just wanted to chime in and say yes it is normal to be invoiced as its the only way the stones will stay on hold for you, until you sort out your setting ect. The people on this forum are awesome and the BDG diamonds are gorgeous so Im happy you found this place. Im in the process of upgrading from them and Im in Australia so don't see many well cut diamonds around and am grateful for this site. Good luck with it all and hope you come back and us all your pics.

puppalini

Rough_Rock
paulav|1399356407|3667051 said:
Wow that's going to be one amazing e-ring. Gypsy has done an exceptional job choosing those. Just wanted to chime in and say yes it is normal to be invoiced as its the only way the stones will stay on hold for you, until you sort out your setting ect. The people on this forum are awesome and the BDG diamonds are gorgeous so Im happy you found this place. Im in the process of upgrading from them and Im in Australia so don't see many well cut diamonds around and am grateful for this site. Good luck with it all and hope you come back and us all your pics.

She has indeed, and I'm very grateful. I'm starting to get ecited even though the ring is a few weeks away. Will be a long wait!

Are you getting your upgrade done in the US paulav?

AVCadmirer

Shiny_Rock
Yes it so exciting and although time does fly by quick, it will feel like forever :lol:

Yes I upgraded the diamond I bought from BGD last year, however this time I will be having a setting made by Victor Canera as I have loved his halos since the day I saw them posted on here. I completely trust and am comfortable with the whole process of purchasing from the US, especially with vendors such as these and a few more that are highly regarded on the forum.

puppalini

Rough_Rock
paulav|1399364317|3667083 said:
Yes it so exciting and although time does fly by quick, it will feel like forever :lol:

Yes I upgraded the diamond I bought from BGD last year, however this time I will be having a setting made by Victor Canera as I have loved his halos since the day I saw them posted on here. I completely trust and am comfortable with the whole process of purchasing from the US, especially with vendors such as these and a few more that are highly regarded on the forum.

Just had a look at the Victor Canera site, some gorgeous settings there. Which one have you chosen?

I think I've fallen down the PS Diamond Rabbit Hole already as I'm already thinking about upgrades! We're a couple of $k under budget at the moment so I was looking to see if I could get a slight bigger stone, but BGD doesn't seem to have many options between 1.25 and 1.5 in their Signature range.

Too many choices!

puppalini

Rough_Rock
paulav|1399364317|3667083 said:
Yes I upgraded the diamond I bought from BGD last year, however this time I will be having a setting made by Victor Canera...

Another question... are you upgrading the diamond through BGD and getting it sent to Victor Canera to be set?

AVCadmirer

Shiny_Rock
That rabbit hole is a dangerous place :Up_to_something: ...I had BGD do my first setting with a plain tiffany setting but knew even before receiving my ring that I would be upgrading my setting within a year to a VC emilya halo ( Im going with a cushion shape halo). Didn't think I would upgrade the diamond so quickly though :oops: So yes I am upgrading the diamond with BGD and they are shipping to VC to be set. So far the upgrade process seems to be easy enough so fingers crossed it will be to the end. Atleast you know you can always upgrade your diamond if you see anything pop up in the future, and its easy to get wrapped up in it all. For me though NO more upgrades for a very long time though :lol:

puppalini

Rough_Rock
paulav|1399372002|3667102 said:
That rabbit hole is a dangerous place :Up_to_something: ...I had BGD do my first setting with a plain tiffany setting but knew even before receiving my ring that I would be upgrading my setting within a year to a VC emilya halo ( Im going with a cushion shape halo). Didn't think I would upgrade the diamond so quickly though :oops: So yes I am upgrading the diamond with BGD and they are shipping to VC to be set. So far the upgrade process seems to be easy enough so fingers crossed it will be to the end. Atleast you know you can always upgrade your diamond if you see anything pop up in the future, and its easy to get wrapped up in it all. For me though NO more upgrades for a very long time though :lol:

I'm sure your new ring will be absolutely gorgeous! We don't really see a lot of halo rings here in NZ. It's always good fun at the end of The Bachelor when the jeweller hauls out the tray of giant halos for the man to choose ;-)

puppalini

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1399674954|3669300 said:

lol Gypsy, I was just drooling over that stone about 5 minutes before I saw your post above. It's gorgeous. The budget could probably stretch to that one if we wanted it to but the Blue would worry me because the side stones wouldn't be blues.

And, I've just realised that this is the same stone that I asked Mike from diamonds.pro about a few days ago. He said "I wouldn't recommend putting a blue center stone with the others. Normally I love the blue line, but it would need to match up with the others" so stick with the set we had made.

He also said that it was a "fantastic set" we had made... so I had to point out that it wasn't me that made it, but a helpful PriceScoper :)

I'm now considering taking the leftover budget and putting it towards stones for a five stone ring.... (STOP ME NOW!!)

AVCadmirer

Shiny_Rock
I don't believe you will get any PSer trying to stop you for purchasing more diamonds :lol: especially if the budget permits.

I think that's actually an awesome idea and I would probably try to ship them together if possible as to save extra cost on actually custom charges. Maybe you could do the 5 stone with the blue line, that would be gorgeous for a rhr. :love:

Anyway keep us updated on what you decide, I cant wait to see the pics :)

puppalini

Rough_Rock
paulav|1399881255|3670856 said:
?..Maybe you could do the 5 stone with the blue line, that would be gorgeous for a rhr. )

That's exactly what I was thinking, Paulav!
Only thing is the Blues seem to be larger stones. Smallest is .5 ct so that would make for a very big 5-stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results