Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

dreamy old mine pieces - thoughts on these three

Mreader

Shiny_Rock
I've been spending too much time gazing at old mine stones as I would love to have one in my collection :) They are so romantic to me and I don't mind the warmer tones that come with them. I have some pics with specs and pricing for three - just wanted some thoughts. Are there any ideas on where you like to purchase your vintage items? Treasurly by Dima seems to have some lovely things and two out of there are from there. This one here
is 2.09 The diamond measures 8.11mm x 7.9mm with a depth of 4.78mm. VS1 N and asking $6300. There is a chip in the stone; you can see it and he said they actually removed the center and are recutting which will bring the stone down to 2.0; if I wanted to purchase as is they would set it under the prong he said.

2.03 6277.jpg
2.031.jpg

This one is 1.23CT SI1 clarity L-M color. 7x6.9x3.8 and price is $5900

dima 1.23 5800.jpg dima2.jpg

And this one - which I think is probably my fave (surprise, and the most expensive) is Edwardian and is 1.95CT GIA Certified M color, VS2 7.61-7.80x5.16 mm.

dima4.jpg

dina 11k.jpg dima edwardian.jpg

Some of my thoughts are the first one is in a more contemporary setting despite being an old diamond; not sure how I feel about that. But it looks lovely. Worried about the chip as well. As for the third Edwardian one, it doesn't look much larger than the second one given that it's much bigger! So the higher price for bigger stone might not "show" as a bigger stone; of course I know the steeper price also has to do with GIA, clarity, and period. Anyway just curious to know what you think!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I love old mine cuts!! And if they can be found in their original mounting it would be soooooo awesome.

Some suggestions on vintage pieces and where to look especially on instagram: Jewels by Grace, Ivy and Rose Vintage, SinCity Finds, xothebijouxbox, plattboutiquejewelry, cjd_sako

It's amazing what you are drawn to! I really like the first ring. But again sometimes photos don't capture the true beauty of these pieces. Are you able to get a video? The only concern I have with the last ring is how dark it appears on the finger photo, would it look like that in real life?

Mreader

Shiny_Rock
I love old mine cuts!! And if they can be found in their original mounting it would be soooooo awesome.

Some suggestions on vintage pieces and where to look especially on instagram: Jewels by Grace, Ivy and Rose Vintage, SinCity Finds, xothebijouxbox, plattboutiquejewelry, cjd_sako

It's amazing what you are drawn to! I really like the first ring. But again sometimes photos don't capture the true beauty of these pieces. Are you able to get a video? The only concern I have with the last ring is how dark it appears on the finger photo, would it look like that in real life?

I'm so happy got a reply lol I didn't think anyone would write back :) The more I look at them, the more I'm into the first one just as the stone itself to perhaps even set in a future setting for a future project. The price seems quite good for the specs, but I'm not expert. I plan to ask for video, but he said that the center stone was removed on Fri to fix the chip. So will have to wait. He said if I want to buy it I can and he will hide chip under the prong. I'm not ready to purchase that fast; but I'm wondering if ppl prefer to have it repaired or prefer original...

Paisley2628

Shiny_Rock
Also check Old World Diamonds for loose stones.

I also love the OEC/OMC - but you do want to make sure the diamond is not too shallow- especially for a ring.

Try to see as many as you can in person- Each OEC/OMC is so unique.

Mreader

Shiny_Rock
Also check Old World Diamonds for loose stones.

I also love the OEC/OMC - but you do want to make sure the diamond is not too shallow- especially for a ring.

Try to see as many as you can in person- Each OEC/OMC is so unique.

I wish I could but I live in an area with practically no choices!! So I am limited to online shopping .

kgizo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you seen the GIA reports for all 3 stones? On the one with the chip, what does it say about how thin is the girdle?

Mreader

Shiny_Rock
Have you seen the GIA reports for all 3 stones? On the one with the chip, what does it say about how thin is the girdle?

So the third is GIA, the second is EGL (I know - not a great lab) and I need to ask about the first bc the specs were given on the description but it didn’t have a photo of report.

Sprinkles&Stones

Shiny_Rock
I've been eyeing Treasurly by Dima for years! I love their shop and wish SO BAD I could afford something from them! I agree, I LOVE the first and third option. Second... meh, it doesn't make my heart sing. You can tell from the first photo that it's got a great facet pattern. Please let us know what you decide, and how it goes buying from Dima!

Mreader

Shiny_Rock
I've been eyeing Treasurly by Dima for years! I love their shop and wish SO BAD I could afford something from them! I agree, I LOVE the first and third option. Second... meh, it doesn't make my heart sing. You can tell from the first photo that it's got a great facet pattern. Please let us know what you decide, and how it goes buying from Dima!

The first is from a
Different Etsy vendor and second and third are Dima - and yes I have also been on her site for years and never bought anything because everything is usually wildly expensive like 20 K and up. But she has gorgeous pieces and I’m surprised I haven’t seen her name mentioned more on this forum.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
The first stone looks like it has potential, but you need a video to see how the center lights up. In the one picture, head on, the center facets all go dark at once. You don't want that consistently. Granted, it is one angle, but you need to see what the center does as it is moving. There are other small nibbles around the stone as well. I don't think I'd prong set that. Echo @kgizo re need to see the report. I am guessing a very thin girdle.

I don't care for the still photo of the second at all. It is not pleasing to my eye, and the setting, being kind, is very rustic. I would not personally consider it.

The last looks like it could have faceting that is pretty as it moves. One photo straight on is not flattering though. I looked up the listing and it could be pretty or could be not be pretty at all at all. Some unflattering near nailhead photos in the listing. You need video of old stones. It has a small table and high crown though. However, many of the photos lead me to think it's not going to be pretty as it performs. Plus, the setting, if you care about it, looks a bit rough. Lots of airline between the accent stones, thin shanking, worn down milgrain, pretty worn/well loved shoulder supports. I would not wear that setting without sending it out for rehab/spa day and it may or may not be cost effective to rehab.

Mreader

Shiny_Rock
The first stone looks like it has potential, but you need a video to see how the center lights up. In the one picture, head on, the center facets all go dark at once. You don't want that consistently. Granted, it is one angle, but you need to see what the center does as it is moving. There are other small nibbles around the stone as well. I don't think I'd prong set that. Echo @kgizo re need to see the report. I am guessing a very thin girdle.

I don't care for the still photo of the second at all. It is not pleasing to my eye, and the setting, being kind, is very rustic. I would not personally consider it.

The last looks like it could have faceting that is pretty as it moves. One photo straight on is not flattering though. I looked up the listing and it could be pretty or could be not be pretty at all at all. Some unflattering near nailhead photos in the listing. You need video of old stones. It has a small table and high crown though. However, many of the photos lead me to think it's not going to be pretty as it performs. Plus, the setting, if you care about it, looks a bit rough. Lots of airline between the accent stones, thin shanking, worn down milgrain, pretty worn/well loved shoulder supports. I would not wear that setting without sending it out for rehab/spa day and it may or may not be cost effective to rehab.

Good points about #3 - the setting is very old. There is a video in the original listing of #3 and I think it looks amazing in the video but it’s under crazy shiny jewelry store ring light I think so it’s shown at its absolute best. Number two is my least favorite also. In a way I just thought that the second one looked almost comparable in size to the third even though there is significant difference in weight. Number one is still very intriguing to me and he said he does not have a report because he wants to fix the chip and then probably send it to lab. I’m getting a train by one because if that stone is now out of its setting I could potentially choose another setting. That’s another can of worms though!

Mreader

Shiny_Rock

I just posted a video of ring three for some reason I read this too fast and thought you meant video of ring one.

Mreader

Shiny_Rock
Good points about #3 - the setting is very old. There is a video in the original listing of #3 and I think it looks amazing in the video but it’s under crazy shiny jewelry store ring light I think so it’s shown at its absolute best. Number two is my least favorite also. In a way I just thought that the second one looked almost comparable in size to the third even though there is significant difference in weight. Number one is still very intriguing to me and he said he does not have a report because he wants to fix the chip and then probably send it to lab. I’m getting a train by one because if that stone is now out of its setting I could potentially choose another setting. That’s another can of worms though!

If number one is a very thin girdle is that a concern even after it’s been re-cut?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
If number one is a very thin girdle is that a concern even after it’s been re-cut?

Yes. I have pretty much only old cuts in my jewelry box and I'd bezel or halo a very thin girdle. YMMV, but not worth the risk to me.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think you need a natural daylight video. Everyone likes different things, but that stone would not be for me based upon what I'm seeing.

Look at Jewels by Grace IG. Her new videos on her site are terrible now, IMO. She should have some stone videos you can look at and see what you think. She used to have good videos. She has changed them all on her site to being on a hand in a ring holder in front of a window. I find that terribly unhelpful.

kgizo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

It depends on if he is just addressing the chip or rehabbing the entire girdle. I would want to see a new report on it after it’s done. Given the time delay for that, you have to consider if you wait and risk losing #2 or #3 while waiting for better info on #1.

Mreader

Shiny_Rock
It depends on if he is just addressing the chip or rehabbing the entire girdle. I would want to see a new report on it after it’s done. Given the time delay for that, you have to consider if you wait and risk losing #2 or #3 while waiting for better info on #1.

I'm not in a mad hurry; I've only dipped my toe in and am looking and pondering. The price of 1 intrigues me because it's seems good for a 2ctw stone (with setting) but if it's fragile of course that makes a difference.

Mreader

Shiny_Rock
I'm not in a mad hurry; I've only dipped my toe in and am looking and pondering. The price of 1 intrigues me because it's seems good for a 2ctw stone (with setting) but if it's fragile of course that makes a difference.

And I have seen Jewels by Grace and she has some amazing things. .

Mreader

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for all the recs btw I've been looking at the IG pages; I wish they had sites though. I noticed many vendors are no longer using Etsy or have their own site and I love the videos of Insta but the contant "DM for pricing" is tiresome - I just want to scroll and see the item and how much it costs haha! I appreciate the xobijoux for listing her prices :)

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the recs btw I've been looking at the IG pages; I wish they had sites though. I noticed many vendors are no longer using Etsy or have their own site and I love the videos of Insta but the contant "DM for pricing" is tiresome - I just want to scroll and see the item and how much it costs haha! I appreciate the xobijoux for listing her prices :)

Yeah it is annoying when they say DM for pricing because we are just browsing to get a feel for it. I think #3 looks nice in the video - well much nicer than what it looked like in the video. How do you feel? I think you need to look at lots of videos so you get an idea of what you like and what to look for.

RunningwithScissors

Brilliant_Rock
For me if I was going to buy an older cut, I'd want one that is actually old, not a recut because that would take away some of the romance of having an older diamond. And having one in an original setting would be even cooler. I like the idea of a historical piece vs a new one cut in an old style.

These are just my thoughts in general, I'm not recommending one of your options over the other because I haven't studied them.

Last edited:

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
For me if I was going to buy an older cut, I'd want one that is actually old, not a recut because that would take away some of the romance of having an older diamond for me. And having one in an original setting would be even cooler. I like the idea of a historical piece vs a new one cut in an old style.

This is the exact same for me. But an original setting can be hard to find! But how cool would it be to have a piece that is 100+ years old. I love that old world charm.

RunningwithScissors

Brilliant_Rock
This is the exact same for me. But an original setting can be hard to find! But how cool would it be to have a piece that is 100+ years old. I love that old world charm.

Right! With a true old diamond (or diamond and ring) you can dream about all the cool places it has been, like dances with ladies in beautiful old time dresses, or fancy dinners or old romantic proposals. It just has a mystique to it.

Mreader

Shiny_Rock
Right! With a true old diamond (or diamond and ring) you can dream about all the cool places it has been, like dances with ladies in beautiful old time dresses, or fancy dinners or old romantic proposals. It just has a mystique to it.

Ok now I am reading about re-cutting and I think I may have misunderstood - I just thought it was cut in such a way to repair the chip or smooth edges - but now I'm reading that "recut" can mean trying to change it to a MRB. I would not want that at all. It seems I need to ask more questions.

Mreader

Shiny_Rock
Yeah it is annoying when they say DM for pricing because we are just browsing to get a feel for it. I think #3 looks nice in the video - well much nicer than what it looked like in the video. How do you feel? I think you need to look at lots of videos so you get an idea of what you like and what to look for.

I'm the most intrigued by 1 now. I was saying that I'm not in a hurry, but now I cannot stop thinking about 1, in large part because the price is so good for a 2ctw...I plan on calling the vendor tomorrow just to get more questions answered over the phone.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I'm the most intrigued by 1 now. I was saying that I'm not in a hurry, but now I cannot stop thinking about 1, in large part because the price is so good for a 2ctw...I plan on calling the vendor tomorrow just to get more questions answered over the phone.

Oh no hahaha what have I done? I think #3 is still nice. I think for some vintage dealers they would not think about re-cutting an antique diamond and preserve it in it's original state. But if there is a chip that causes structural issues then you would hope that they could fix that before you buy it. Or the other option is to reset it into a bezel but then you would lose the original setting. Ahhh decisions decisions. I came across a similar dilemma a few months earlier. I was tossing up over this diamond that I love but did not have an original mount. There was another diamond ring that was all original - diamond and setting but the diamond was dead to me. So in the end I got the loose diamond. I have dreamed about finding a nice antique setting for it but geez it is pricey.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which ever you choose make sure the vendor has a good return policy. With old cuts, it's really hard to know how they will perform until you have seen them in person, unless you have multiple videos in a variety of colored and lighting environments. As long as you have a week or two to return it, you will just need to buy it and see for yourself. I didn't comment because I find OMCs difficult to evaluate from pictures. And the video shared was under jewelry store lighting, which is almost tantamount to fraud to me. :lol-2:

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Top Luxury Classic Pieces
    Top Luxury Classic Pieces
    Style File: Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge
    Style File: Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge
    Diamond Prices - January 2021
    Diamond Prices - January 2021

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.