shape
carat
color
clarity

Dream Ring... Do you have yours, or are you still searching?

• Thread starter MTHealthyLiving
  • Start date
M

MTHealthyLiving

I have recently fallen IN LOVE with EC's and thought I wanted one for my dream ring.
However, I'm really uncertain what the best specs are given the way they are cut.

So with all of your expertise, what would you suggest to get the most bang for your buck?

I'm a color and clarity sensitive person.
Ideally I would love something in the 3ct. range, but I do know in some cases you can shave a nice chunk off of the price by going "just under" a certain carat weight.

I would love a bezel setting, as I'm just hard on stuff, and I'm not sure why but I love that look. I really love many of CVB's designs, and I really want to stay away from round and marquis cuts. Have plenty of rounds already and don't like marquis.

Also, show me your dream rings if you have them, or a picture of what you want one day!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!
I could look at that thread all day!
I’m in LOVE with EC, but boy those Asschers are sure pulling me in too!
Beautiful!
What kind of budget do you have for this endeavor?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will this be a rhr? Are you still working on your yogo reset?

M

MTHealthyLiving

Will this be a rhr? Are you still working on your yogo reset?

I think it will be a wear for super fancy events with my wedding band ring. We own a business so we do a lot of fancy social events.
The yogo reset is at the jewelers as we speak. It’s stll going to be about three more weeks, and let me just say the wait is killing me! Lol! My yogo will be my everyday ring to wear with my wedding band. I’ve decided I quite like the idea of multiple rings for different days/events. =)2

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it will be a wear for super fancy events with my wedding band ring. We own a business so we do a lot of fancy social events.
The yogo reset is at the jewelers as we speak. It’s stll going to be about three more weeks, and let me just say the wait is killing me! Lol! My yogo will be my everyday ring to wear with my wedding band. I’ve decided I quite like the idea of multiple rings for different days/events. =)2

Love the idea! Tho I would rock a carat every day! Is hubby on board this time? I ask Bc he had a hard time with the reset.

M

MTHealthyLiving

Love the idea! Tho I would rock a carat every day! Is hubby on board this time? I ask Bc he had a hard time with the reset.

He says if I pay for it I can do whatever I want. He wants a classic car, I want a big diamond... Lol!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He says if I pay for it I can do whatever I want. He wants a classic car, I want a big diamond... Lol!
Like his new attitude! Can’t wait to see what the experts find you!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have my dream ring, but I'm also not looking. What I mentioned in your other thread about putting the ring away and just forgetting about it really works for me. It saves money and arguing about financial priorities. I'm only in my 30's so I have plenty of time to win the lottery and then get a dream ring :mrgreen:

You have a great budget! It's great that your DH is on board. What are you currently learning toward? Where have you looked? Is your budget for your setting and stone?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have recently fallen IN LOVE with EC's and thought I wanted one for my dream ring.
However, I'm really uncertain what the best specs are given the way they are cut.

So with all of your expertise, what would you suggest to get the most bang for your buck?

I'm a color and clarity sensitive person.
Ideally I would love something in the 3ct. range, but I do know in some cases you can shave a nice chunk off of the price by going "just under" a certain carat weight.

I would love a bezel setting, as I'm just hard on stuff, and I'm not sure why but I love that look. I really love many of CVB's designs, and I really want to stay away from round and marquis cuts. Have plenty of rounds already and don't like marquis.

Also, show me your dream rings if you have them, or a picture of what you want one day!

Hi MT,

The others have given you great advice! As for specs, with cut proportions there are no hard and fast rules, images are essential to be able to pick a great EC or Asscher. You could go for one of the new branded Emerald Cuts which have been created for beauty and performance, the EC's are new to Good old Gold and there's also the Octavia Asscher created by our own Karl K, again created to maximise beauty and optical performance.

So if you wanted to make it easy, I'd suggest seeing what's available there. Or it's on a case by case basis for analysis which we can help you with.

Colour and clarity. I wouldn't suggest dropping below VS for clarity as step cuts can show inclusions more easily than rounds for example and it's prudent to check eye cleanliness to be sure in a sizeable EC to be safe. Colour is up to personal preference but I'd say reliably graded ( GIA/ AGS) D to H to be safe.

Last edited:
M

MTHealthyLiving

Hi MT,

The others have given you great advice! As for specs, with cut proportions there are no hard and fast rules, images are essential to be able to pick a great EC or Asscher. You could go for one of the new branded Emerald Cuts which have been created for beauty and performance, the EC's are new to Good old Gold and there's also the Octavia Asscher created by our own Karl K, again created to maximise beauty and optical performance.

So if you wanted to make it easy, I'd suggest seeing what's available there. Or it's on a case by case basis for analysis which we can help you with.

Colour and clarity. I wouldn't suggest dropping below VS for clarity as step cuts can show inclusions more easily than rounds for example and it's prudent to check eye cleanliness to be sure in a sizeable EC to be safe. Colour is up to personal preference but I'd say reliably graded ( GIA/ AGS) D to H to be safe.

Thanks so much! You have given me a great amount of info to run with!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lorelei GOG doesn't have branded emerald cuts to my knowledge. Jonathan is no longer with GOG. He has his own company, August Vintage. But he has recently cut a non-diamond prototype and hasn't started cutting diamonds yet.

But for MT, here is his site where you can see other beautifully cut stones!

https://www.augustvintageinc.com/

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oooooh yay, MORE JEWELS!

I have my dream ring. If my wife said to me one day "oh hey, let's upgrade that 2.937ct ACA for a 4 carat" I wouldn't turn her down. But that's not gonna happen ;-)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lorelei GOG doesn't have branded emerald cuts to my knowledge. Jonathan is no longer with GOG. He has his own company, August Vintage. But he has recently cut a non-diamond prototype and hasn't started cutting diamonds yet.

But for MT, here is his site where you can see other beautifully cut stones!

https://www.augustvintageinc.com/

I thought he had just begun production with EC's from other sources and I checked with him re GOG status but I probably got it wrong!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just the one prototype. It will be a wonderful day when he is able to stock his beautiful EC diamonds!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just the one prototype. It will be a wonderful day when he is able to stock his beautiful EC diamonds!

Good to know, I think I got confused with threads here and the videos on other sites if you see what I mean.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just called GOG. No signature emerald cuts from them. No EC's from August Vintage Inc either, tho I believe Jon was talking about it, and has been for a while. Maybe one day - a girl can dream, right? :lickout:

ETA And you obviously already know that! This thread is moving too fast for me!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am all for multiple rings! I have two e-rings (aside from my original one), and being on this forum always tempts me to get more!

Are you wanting us to help you find a stone? People here with experience with ECs can help you.

I am fortunate to have two diamond e-rings I really love. Well, the round (August Vintage European Cut) isn't set in it's final setting yet, but I love the diamond! The other is an antique asscher.

2016-12-29 10.00.30 b.jpg

M

MTHealthyLiving

I am all for multiple rings! I have two e-rings (aside from my original one), and being on this forum always tempts me to get more!

Are you wanting us to help you find a stone? People here with experience with ECs can help you.

I am fortunate to have two diamond e-rings I really love. Well, the round (August Vintage European Cut) isn't set in it's final setting yet, but I love the diamond! The other is an antique asscher.

2016-12-29 10.00.30 b.jpg

Your rings are beautiful! And that asscher! :love:
Yes, advice on a good stone, and setting ideas. Have pictures in my head, but there’s so much out there to be open to, I don’t want to miss out on great ideas!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been thinking about this question. I sometimes play around with the idea of starting over and getting a step cut or a super ideal. My “dream” ring is a E or F antique emerald cut.

However I do recognize that a part of this itch is a result of me not having anything else I need with regard to my OEC. It’s stunning. I remember the first time I received it loose in the mail. I could not believe that it was really mine. Then I got Victor to make a setting for it. Then it was DONE. But now I have nothing left to do with it?! So my mind just wanders and wonders. I think this is the dreamring I never knew I wanted. I would bet money that if I got my dream ring I wouldn’t love it the way I love my set now. I’m fickle and ungrateful. :roll2:

So no. I don’t have my dream ring because it will always be the ring that I DON’T have.

And I can’t do multiple rings. I can only be loyal to one.:lol-2:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, @LLJsmom, it's kind of like children. I hear people with one child say they don't think they could love another one like the one they have, but there's plenty of room in the heart to love more! :lol:

I love the two e-ring diamonds I have, and I am quite sure I could add an AVC, antique emerald cut, and antique oval and love them all, as well!

But I agree with the point about dream rings being something we don't have. Because the things I dream of, I won't ever have! :lol: (I am extremely thankful for what I have, though!)

naivemelody

Rough_Rock
Brian Gavin has a line of ideal ECs - nothing that big on the site, but maybe worth an ask.
And yes I have my dream ring :D not the trendiest shape but I love it!

M

MTHealthyLiving

I’ve been thinking about this question. I sometimes play around with the idea of starting over and getting a step cut or a super ideal. My “dream” ring is a E or F antique emerald cut.

However I do recognize that a part of this itch is a result of me not having anything else I need with regard to my OEC. It’s stunning. I remember the first time I received it loose in the mail. I could not believe that it was really mine. Then I got Victor to make a setting for it. Then it was DONE. But now I have nothing left to do with it?! So my mind just wanders and wonders. I think this is the dreamring I never knew I wanted. I would bet money that if I got my dream ring I wouldn’t love it the way I love my set now. I’m fickle and ungrateful. :roll2:

So no. I don’t have my dream ring because it will always be the ring that I DON’T have.

And I can’t do multiple rings. I can only be loyal to one.:lol-2:

I love your perspective!
I too wonder if I’d ever be truly satisfied with what I think would be my dream ring. I LOVE EC’s now, but once I got it, would I fall in love with ovals or asschers? Would it ever end? Lol!

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What I've really come to appreciate is how much my tastes and my idea of "dream" has changed over time and exposure to jewelry.

Last year I thought I had lost my engagement ring and had the opportunity to shop for a new one and I was going to get my 'dream" ring: a cushion split shank. I spent TEN YEARS determining that was my ideal. :whistle: I'd tried on several of them and KNEW 100% that's what I wanted. (Very different from my plain shank asscher halo I'd misplaced).

I ordered a lovely cushion with everything I thought I wanted including fabulous light return. When it got to me I was left cold :eek2:. Long story short, I ended up with a lovely K color transitional. And I was quite happy. (Then I found my original ring and things got complicated :roll2:).

Now, I've "always" been a fancy girl. Not a fan of MRB for me personally. And I'd seen a lot of MRB, super-ideals, 60/60, etc over my tenure here. But I started working with HPD who only carries MRB's, as a social media manager and I had the opportunity to wear the ring and diamond in my AV for 24 hours NEXT to my transitional. Little bugger stole my heart. And NO ONE was more surprised by that than me. :lol-2:

Additionally, I've "always" preferred four prong for solitaire settings on rounds. I even got one for my transitional... which is why I am NOW a fan of 6 and 8 prong settings. o_O

So... while my experience is probably unique to me, I'd caution you. Just when you think you've figured it all out, your ultimate preferences might surprise you! :geek2:

Spend as much time WEARING whatever it is that you think you love before committing to it.

Last edited:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the threadjack, but @LaylaR is the ring in your avatar your new ering? What happened with the transitional? Is there a thread with it anywhere?

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Sorry for the threadjack, but @LaylaR is the ring in your avatar your new ering? What happened with the transitional? Is there a thread with it anywhere?

Hi @foxinsox! Sadly, no the ring in my AV is not mine. Long story short (to comply with vendor rules) it was an exhibition piece (I would never wear a client's ring) and John Pollard and Wink let me play with it for 24 glorious hours, I made the picture my AV as I wanted to keep a small part of it for myself, since it stole my heart.

Unfortunately, I do not have pictures of my transitional on PS. By the time I'd purchased it I was a vendor and bound by vendor rules. Once I found my original ring, I had to chose between keeping my original and the transitional (the insurance company had to be paid back), and since I am more sentimental than I'd thought, I am selling (privately, nothing to do with HPD) my transitional and keeping my original.

:wavey:Your pugs are adorable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results