shape
carat
color
clarity

dreaded bow tie in marquise?

angel_nick

Rough_Rock
im SO excited! i just got in my marquise!! of course ive been gawking at it all day and im noticing the bow tie. at times it almost looks like there's a permanent black stripe east to west across the marquise. im planning to pair it with a stetting that has baguettes next to it and pave rounds. would a different setting help the bow tie? am i just stuck with bow ties in marquise? i havnt seen a million marquise in my time. i do know its a reflection of my self in the lighting but it just seems to be there more than not. what is everyone's opinions?
(have i been gawking at it to long? LOL!)

marquise brilliant cut
.90 carat F color VS1
fluorescence strong blue
measurements 8.70 x 5.16 x 3.33 mm
64.5 % depth 61 % table width

vlcsnap-2012-10-02-18h27m32s228.png

vlcsnap-2012-10-02-18h27m49s144.png

vlcsnap-2012-10-02-18h05m48s245.png

vlcsnap-2012-10-02-18h03m32s167.png

cmaha33

Rough_Rock
Hi! My ring-to-be consists of a center marquise with two pear sidestones; all are AGA Cut Class 1A, but they still have that dreaded bow tie. Just like you mentioned, though, it is only in certain lighting. But even with their bow tie flaws, I love them and can't stop gawking at them, too :tongue:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's got one. But it doesn't look like it's a huge one and it looks like it blends at certain angles.

I wonder if setting it east west might help. Can you try playing with it? Try it wrapped in an aluminum foil 'bezel'... What I'd really do is take it to local jewelers and set it into different semi mounts they have. I'd wait a while and see it what it likes. All the fancy shaped diamonds I have had and very strong 'opinions' when I took them to good jewelry stores and tried them in different settings. Some loved step cuts, others loved halos, some looked great with pave but not halos and others just went deal next to baguettes. I find that trying them out in different settings really lets me know what flatters the stone most.

I swear I'm not the only one that's noticed the diamond personality thing. I realize it makes me sound like a hippie kook.

angel_nick

Rough_Rock
thank you for your comments. i really appreciate it. ive been toying around with the east to west and it seems to me that the bow tie .. or depth of the marquise is more noticeable that way. ive also been playing with the height of it as well. im noticing that when its closer to my finger i dont see as much dark than when it sits high. does this make sense with the way light bounces through a diamond? im curious to know if the settings with side stones im considering will help hide the bow tie? also will the height if the claws help the bow tie as well?

pzalepepl1-10888869t240.jpg

_1164.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the second setting. I don't know about the height of the setting affecting it. I can't answer that, I'm sorry.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
This is really strange because I'm not especially an east-west gal, but I wonder what that second setting would look like with the diamond set east-west, as long as the diamonds on the band are outside the edges of the marquise.

liz

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results