shape
carat
color
clarity

Dravite Tourmaline

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I won this 1.58 ct tourmaline on ebay for a whopping $1.29. I had never even heard of dravite tourmaline before, but it seems to be just a fancy name for brown tourmaline. I am interested in learning if the stone is a somewhat rare shade of tourmaline, but regardless, I am quite happy with it, especially for the price. I am planning on setting it in a simple rose gold ring to highlight its warm tone.

dravite.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, dravite tourmaline is a fancy name for brown tourmaline although it is also supposed to be from a specific location, hence the name. It is actually a very common coloured tourmaline.

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
It's a pretty stone!

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That looks like a Champagne color, a better 'Dravite' color. Nice gem, basically you did 'win' it because $1.29 would not likely pay for either the rough stone or the cutting. Best regards, Lee

seraphim

Rough_Rock
Trade
Champagne tourmaline is certainly a better name than Dravite. The cutting, photography and marketing fees must of been several times more than what you paid!!

beau-wy

Rough_Rock
Trade
Dravite IS used in the gem trade for all brown tourmaline, however, dravite is a specific mineral variety within the boron silicate mineral family collectively known as tourmaline. Most of the faceted gem "dravite" is really brown elbaite, which comprises the vast majority of faceted gem tourmalines.

By contrast, rubellite, indicolite, verdelite and achroite are merely gem trade color designations for elbaite, and have no mineralogical meaning.

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
I won this 1.58 ct tourmaline on ebay for a whopping $1.29. I had never even heard of dravite tourmaline before, but it seems to be just a fancy name for brown tourmaline. I am interested in learning if the stone is a somewhat rare shade of tourmaline, but regardless, I am quite happy with it, especially for the price. I am planning on setting it in a simple rose gold ring to highlight its warm tone.

dravite.jpg
Nice stone, would you mind sharing the name of the seller if you remember?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice stone, would you mind sharing the name of the seller if you remember?
This thread is 7 years old,so I'm not sure the poster is around on the boards anymore.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I just posted yesterday! :lol: I just checked and the seller (us-gems) is no longer on ebay.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just posted yesterday! :lol: I just checked and the seller (us-gems) is no longer on ebay.
Yay! Sorry, I just wanted to warn the poster of how old the thread was.

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies I checked both the date thread and the OP last post so I decided to give it a shot. Thanks again to both of you :D

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
If you know sellers on eBay that sell stones for such cheap prices please let me know

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results