shape
carat
color
clarity

Downton Spoiler

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Just finished watching yesterday's episode and still honking like a goose even though DH keeps saying "it's just a tv show". Why did they kill Sybil?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Re: Why did they have to kill Sybil???

lulu said:
Just watched yesterday's Downton. Still honking like a goose even though DH keeps saying "it's just a tv show". Why did they do it?

Wow, really wish you hadn't put that in the title. I haven't had a chance to finish the episode.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock

psss...some people probably haven't watched yet. Maybe change the title? Just want you to avoid any angry over a spoiler... :wavey:

And yeah...WTF Downton?

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock

Anyone got the DVD set arriving tomorrow?

Even though I already know a lot of the spoilers from reading some of the Brit articles, I still enjoy watching the episodes. Reading about it just isn't the same as watching it.

liz

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Thanks lulu. At least it won't be spoiled for anyone else (I saw the original title)...at least I know to have a box of tissues nearby.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, wasn't thinking!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I SO wanted to log on first thing this morning and ask the same thing, Lulu, so you are in good company! I hated watching it, because you just knew where it was going; it was like a slow motion train wreck. Noooooooo! I hope its not all downhill from here, with accusations, anger and inability to forgive :(( I hope for them a good transition to the modern age and happiness!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Just watched it. Holy crap. That was pretty haunting, with the doctors standing around watching and the whole family being helpless.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
I cried :(( and immediately texted my gf who also watches the show. Poor Sybil... she was my favorite! And I feel so bad for everyone. If only they had listened to Dr Clarkson! Now that wee babe will grow up without a mommy.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1359436170|3366188 said:
Just watched it. Holy crap. That was pretty haunting, with the doctors standing around watching and the whole family being helpless.

That's what I'll remember, and what made it such a powerful scene. That a___hole doctor standing there one minute with his chest all puffed out and the next looking scared and desperate, while everyone else just begged for someone to DO something...

And yes, Sybil was my favorite too. I wonder what the actual statistics were in that day and age for death during childbirth?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I looked it up, Minou -- in England from 1700 to 1935 (when they began using sulfa to prevent puerperal infection) it was 4 to 5/1000 live births. Now it is 0.1/1000. They were smart to use eclampsia as a cause for Sybil's death because pre-eclampsia can now be diagnosed w/several tests that they didn't have in Downton days. It is apparently more common with 1st pregnancies. The article I read said eclampsia can be prevented by removing the placenta -- why wouldn't those drs. have done that? Maybe some of our medical types know?

From reading Brit newspapers I knew this was coming -- thought it was really well done. Admired her seizure acting -- that was brutal! I hope things don't get all soapy too, with anger & resentment. I like the other 2 sisters best.

Was glad to see they're starting on getting Bates out of jail -- that was getting old. He needs to return to Downton & get into wrangles with Thomas & the new guy.

--- Laurie

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Beth always dies. Every single time.

I mean, I get that she wanted to pursue other projects, and I respect that. But oh man, this week KILLED me!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Aw man, you guys have got more surprises coming alright.

D

Deactivated member 42515

rosetta said:
Haha, right?

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooooo dear, I wonder what we're in for next. My friends who've already seen S3 keep saying things like that :tongue:

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
rosetta said:

Seriously? The Sybil thing already destroyed me. :errrr: :errrr: :errrr:

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
What is it with everyone and 'wanting to pursue other projects'? If they weren't committed, they shouldn't have accepted the part in the first place! :angryfire:

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
mayerling|1359491148|3366696 said:
What is it with everyone and 'wanting to pursue other projects'? If they weren't committed, they shouldn't have accepted the part in the first place! :angryfire:

But I think I read that initally it was supposed to be a 3-year deal, so now that time is up and people want to move on. I don't blame them, because getting typecasted can ruin careers, plus it might be kind of boring after a while...? I was 'spoiled' on Sybil's death by a Facebook comment from the ITV page, so I knew it was coming but wasn't sure how. When she started acting weird, I knew it was eclampsia and she was done for.

I'm with Rosetta and YT, have seen all of Season 3 incl. the Christmas Special so won't say any more about it.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
rubybeth|1359492024|3366709 said:
mayerling|1359491148|3366696 said:

But I think I read that initally it was supposed to be a 3-year deal, so now that time is up and people want to move on. I don't blame them, because getting typecasted can ruin careers, plus it might be kind of boring after a while...? I was 'spoiled' on Sybil's death by a Facebook comment from the ITV page, so I knew it was coming but wasn't sure how. When she started acting weird, I knew it was eclampsia and she was done for.

I'm with Rosetta and YT, have seen all of Season 3 incl. the Christmas Special so won't say any more about it.

I also think that, from what I've seen, British TV tends a little more towards shorter term contracts. It doesn't seem like they're bound to a role for however long the station wants to run it, and it seems like there is more of a tendency to kill off/get rid of characters and use it to spike ratings and get renewed interest in the show. I mean, everybody that watches Downton is talking, and now everybody wants to know what happens next. If Sybil had just stayed good old Sybil, I doubt that would have happened. It kind of makes sense to me, honestly.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
I heard a rumor that Gwyneth Paltrow is interested in doing a role on Downton. If she does land a (preferably recurring) role, I'll be giddy with excitement :appl:

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1359464624|3366306 said:
Was glad to see they're starting on getting Bates out of jail -- that was getting old. He needs to return to Downton & get into wrangles with Thomas & the new guy.

--- Laurie

+1. I really want to see Bates out of that whole prison situation and move on, hopefully with some sweet scenes with Anna too!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Love this show !! Would be sad to see it go away, it's one of the best on.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rubyshoes|1359500057|3366827 said:
I heard a rumor that Gwyneth Paltrow is interested in doing a role on Downton. If she does land a (preferably recurring) role, I'll be giddy with excitement :appl:

I have really mixed feelings about big gun names joining the show now. I love the fact that I am being exposed to British actors that I largely had not seen prior to Downton Abbey. So to start sprinkling in "special guest stars" like Gwynneth Paltrow, or Shirley McClaine seems completely unnecessary to me. Why fix or supplement what ain't broken to begin with? It is so good just as is..

And all of you who've seen Season 3, Puhleeeeeeez, Sybil was enough! I can't take too much more! We're all so fond of them we don't want any more complications that can't be sorted out ;(

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
I sobbed. I was really struck by they way the docotors just stood back and let her die. Im guessing there really was nothing to do when a woman gets to that point, but so different than how House would have handled it!
I saw a spoiler on a website that i thought was the big ending but never saw this coming!
I really liked Sybil and I have to say I love the costuming.
Im debating on ordering the DVD set and just plowing through it or savoring each episode as it comnes.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I've been watching the DVDs yesterday and this evening. Highly recommended! I'm on episode 8, then I'll watch the Christmas special, then I'll probably start with the first episodes--after the special features. I enjoy watching when I can "rewind" when I want to.

liz

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So tonight is the season finale, right? So Sad. ;( :(sad ;( :(( They shouldn't be allowed to make such short seasons...wahhhh!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh crap. Bummer. Nooooooo! Why do they have to go kill off all my favorites? And we all saw that one coming too, didn't we? Just like that, its over? Will there be another season, or are we just left hanging, wondering whatever happens to them all? Arrrrghh.

D

Deactivated member 42515

I hated it too. I was very very angry.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1361150816|3382736 said:
So tonight is the season finale, right? So Sad. ;( :(sad ;( :(( They shouldn't be allowed to make such short seasons...wahhhh!

As far as I know, the UK television industry has much smaller budgets than its US counterpart. All shows have short seasons.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I had purchased the season 3 DVD and saw the season finale last week- I was stunned! I couldn't believe it- my favorite character!! I believe I've heard the actor that played Matthew is on Broadway now- anyone know for sure? There is another season- and I'm sure they'll be bring in another cutie patootie for us to watch- but still- I will miss Matthew terribly!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results