shape
carat
color
clarity

Downton Abbey Christmas Special 2012 - SPOILERS

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
This is a thread to talk about the latest Downton Abbey episode (Christmas Special 2012). If you haven't watched it yet, leave this thread! There will be spoilers!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, do you think Matthew really died or is it possible that Series 4 will start telling us that there will be a miraculous recovery?

Rosetta, you mentioned in the other thread that you know why they chose to end it like this. Care to divulge?

D

Deactivated member 42515

I wrote the reason why they killed Matthew but decided to erase it. Rosetta should tell us!

D

Deactivated member 42515

I'm hoping *fingers crossed* that he decides to return and there is some miraculous recovery even tho we saw his dead eyes and blood dripping down his face... :(

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Ok, here's why I think Matthew is gone forever

1. He was seen lying with his eyes open, and an earful of blood. That's usually not compatible with life (on tv) and I can't see any surgery of the time getting him out of this.

2. Friend of a friend told me the actor who plays matthew is off to Hollywood.

I may still be wrong, but it's not looking good. Shame, I liked him. Now all 3 sisters are unlucky in love (esp Sybil!!)

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Rosetta, until you posted I was wondering why he'd want to leave such a hit show but I guess if Hollywood is in the picture it's no surprise.

I don't see how they can carry on from this without jumping the shark. The Matthew-Mary romance has been a driving force for this show from the start.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
mayerling|1356961168|3343479 said:
Rosetta, until you posted I was wondering why he'd want to leave such a hit show but I guess if Hollywood is in the picture it's no surprise.

I don't see how they can carry on from this without jumping the shark. The Matthew-Mary romance has been a driving force for this show from the start.

I agree. I'm running out of characters to empathise with. I thought the best part of Mary was Matthew!

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
I agree. The best part if the show was Matthew and Mary. But he wanted to leave the show. He was on Broadway recently, so I guess he has bigger fish to fry.... Now what, Mary and the ex chauffeur getting together.. I dont see that at all. The cousin Rose will bring some drama, but I don't know how they will maintain the level of emotionality that Matthew and Mary provided.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it would have been better to maybe replace the actor and keep the character. Its not been a popular decision to kill him off. Are we allowed to talk about what happened in the last season of DA or have you not all seen it? I don't want to ruin it for anyone.

D

Deactivated member 42515

I'm seriously irked that Dan Stevens decided to leave. I just watched a movie with him in it... Vamps. I like him so much better as Matthew. Why will I watch Downton now! Matthew and Mary were my favorite! And so was sweet Sybil! Now there's Edith........

D

Deactivated member 42515

Maisiebelle said:
I think it would have been better to maybe replace the actor and keep the character. Its not been a popular decision to kill him off. Are we allowed to talk about what happened in the last season of DA or have you not all seen it? I don't want to ruin it for anyone.
Are there people that just watched the Christmas special and not the whole 3rd season before? There's things they talk about in the special that wouldn't make sense.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
It's a shame really. I think replacing the actor would have been just as bad- wouldn't have the same chemistry with Mary at all. But you can't ask an actor to sacrifice career opportunities that may not ever come again. I wish he would have stuck out one more season- then they could have moved away- gotten a post in India like Rose's parents or something and only made occasional appearances.

I will watch next season; I like all the 'upstairs family', but will probably be more interested in the 'downstairs family' unless someone new catches my attention. Maggie Smith is worth watching for all by herself.

kefira

Shiny_Rock
I had heard tons of rumors about Dan Stevens not signing for season 4, and a car crash has been telegraphed/foreshadowed for a long while on the show. So, the ending wasn't a shock to me, and truth be told, I'm sort of glad for it. I find M&M kind of dull, and DS not to be a very dynamic actor at all. Downstairs are my favorites (Thomas and Mrs. Hughes, especially), although I'd also like to see something nice happen for Edith. The Dowager Duchess is of course also right up there, too, with her zingers. I wonder if 4 will be the last season?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I watched it earlier this week and am kind of bummed, but such is life. They killed off Sybil, really nobody is safe! Have read that Dan Stevens is going to be in something else with Benedict Cumberbatch, so that could be fun, I like both of them a lot. Dan also said something about signing on for 3 years only, and that he wants to keep doing other characters, which I do think is wise before he gets completely typecasted. I liked him in the newer version of 'Sense & Sensibility,' I am sure I'll enjoy him in other things.

I do want to see what will happen with Mary and baby heir now that Matthew is gone, and I am curious if they will give her a new love interest (maybe someone 'fun' and not necessarily from her class, kind of like what Sybil did? Baby better stay healthy, though...). I am also curious about baby Sybil and Branson now that Matthew is gone; Branson and Matthew seemed to be a good team in running Downton, maybe Branson will take on more of a lead role in the management of the estate. I also think that Bates and Anna will eventually have a baby, as well. I am interested in where they are going with Rose. I think she will be like the rebel Sybil and we will get to see all of that fun. Plus, Edith--who is probably my very favorite character and I was more upset about her getting left at the alter than by any of these deaths--really deserves something good to happen for once. Maybe her editor's wife will die? Or English law will change so he can get divorced? Or, or...? Such fun! :bigsmile:

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
It's unlikely that somebody would have watched the special without having seen Series 3 so I think it's safe to talk about here.

I was just really surprised because at the end of Series 3 they had that final shot with Robert, Matthew, and Tom, which implied that they would be the future of Downton so I just don't get why they would kill him off. Surely they would have known from back then if Dan Stevens was leaving. I also think that the best thing about Mary was Matthew.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results