shape
carat
color
clarity

Down to two stones....which one?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joker382

Rough_Rock
Both are Whiteflash "A cut above" within my price range. To me they seem almost identical, which one does everyone recommend? Does a difference of 1.1 and 1.5 on the HCA mean anything?

Stone One: $8236
To save you time, here is the HCA Grade:
Light return: Excellent
Fire: Excellent
Scintillation: Excellent
Spread: Very good
Total Visual Performance: 1.1 - Excellent withing TIC range

. Report: AGS
. Shape: A Cut Above H&A
. Carat: 1.238
. Depth %: 61.6
. Table %: 56.3
. Crown Angle: 34.8
. Crown %: 15.3
. Star : 52
. Pavilion Angle: 40.7
. Pavilion %: 43
. Lower Girdle %: 75
. Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
. Measurements: 6.87-6.90X4.24
. Light Performance: 0
. Polish: Ideal
. Symmetry: Ideal
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible

Stone Two: $8494
HCA report:
Light return: Excellent
Fire: Excellent
Scintillation: Excellent
Spread: Very good
Total visual performance 1.5 - Excellent Within TIC range
. Report: AGS
. Shape: A Cut Above H&A
. Carat: 1.215
. Depth %: 61.7
. Table %: 56.4
. Crown Angle: 34.9
. Crown %: 15.1
. Star : 53
. Pavilion Angle: 40.8
. Pavilion %: 43.1
. Lower Girdle %: 76
. Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
. Measurements: 6.83-6.85X4.22
. Light Performance: 0
. Polish: Ideal
. Symmetry: Ideal
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible

diasurfer

Rough_Rock
color and clarity?

joker382

Rough_Rock
Whoops, the first one the 1.238 is H, VS2 and the smaller one 1.215 is H, VS1

joker382

Rough_Rock
Here is the link for the first one (1.238) to see the sarin, ideal and aset pictures
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Diamond_Details.aspx?idno=273569

Here is the second one (1.215):
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Diamond_Details.aspx?idno=273559

Please don''t ''steal'' my diamond selections.....I have been working hard to find ones that I liked...lol I am definitely going to buy one of these two, I have made up my mind with that part.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2007 7:21:40 PM
Author: joker382
Here is the link for the first one (1.238) to see the sarin, ideal and aset pictures
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Diamond_Details.aspx?idno=273569

Here is the second one (1.215):
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Diamond_Details.aspx?idno=273559

Please don''t ''steal'' my diamond selections.....I have been working hard to find ones that I liked...lol I am definitely going to buy one of these two, I have made up my mind with that part.
If you are worried about someone taking them, please call up WF and reserve them!! These stones fly off the shelves fast from the PS community and other customers as well.

diasurfer

Rough_Rock
I''m sure they''re both excellent choices. A real toss-up. Assuming both are totally eye-clean, I guess I would go with the slightly larger, slighter cheaper VS2. Have you asked someone at WF to put both stones in front of them and compare/contrast? That''s what I did when I had three very similar WF stones to choose from (same color, clarity, and carat, 2 ACA and one ES) and one emerged as the clear favorite.

joker382

Rough_Rock
good point.....they are officially reserved....thanks for the tip, I just got off the phone with them. Now I can sit back and take in everyone''s advice (PLEASE GIVE SOME). And if you know of a better deal, or think I can do better than I am totally up for that also.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Have you confirmed that both are eye clean? Assuming they both are, I''d go with the 1.238ct H VS2, because it''s slightly larger and cheaper. Both are beautiful though. You can''t go wrong with ACAs!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, hard choice! I''d rather have the larger one, but I also like VS1! So it''s a toss up for me! Both are terrific!

joker382

Rough_Rock
These are the images from the different reports. I do not know what to look for in the ASET, so I would appreciate any input.
Here is the 1.238 stones pictures
ASET

AST_AGS-8452703.jpg

joker382

Rough_Rock
Hearts and Arrows

H_AGS-8452703.jpg

joker382

Rough_Rock
Lastly, the ideal scope.

IS_AGS-8452703.jpg

joker382

Rough_Rock
Now here is the second stone, the 1.215
ASET:

AST_AGS-8452602.jpg

joker382

Rough_Rock
Hearts and Arrows

H_AGS-8452602.jpg

joker382

Rough_Rock
and the ideal scope......Now what do I look for in all of these????

IS_AGS-8452602.jpg

joker382

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know what the blue area on the hearts and arrows photo is at about 2 or 3 o''clock? or the extra green in the ASET photo at 1 and 8 o''clock?

I am new to the process of analyzing IS images, but my first thoughts when looking at them are that the first diamond seems to have more consistent coloring and less hot spots at the base of the arrows, while the second IS image has somewhat surprising contrast in the table-- I know some lighter coloring is expected but this one seems much more noticably lighter in the table than others I have looked at--yet it has a MASSIVE quanity of hot spots toward the base of the arrows in that second IS image.

Thus my rough conclusion would be that the first diamond would be more balanced between scintillation and brilliance, whereas the second diamond would be heavily in favor of scintillation and have a bit less brilliance. Though I am sure both are beautiful as they are ACA (though I have never seen any in the person, the very process of how they are selected along with images and data I have gathered has convinced me they must be ;-).

Non theless I think it is something to ask the people at ACA and find out, and then if it is true it is certainly something to help make the decision between such similar diamonds.

joker382

Rough_Rock
When you say it has "surprising contrast" and "massive hot spots" what does that mean? Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Well, first of all don''t take my word for it, it is just something to find out more about.

Secondly, the contrast in the second stone is if you look at the two diamonds, you will see that there appears to be much less red under the table than under the other IS image, and in other IS images in general. However, I suppose it could be caused by a number of things and thus may not be representing what I think it represents--a little bit less light return than ideal under the table.

However, if you look at the base of the arrows you will see HUGE black areas. Compare the base of those arrows to the base of other arrows and your other diamond''s ideal scope. You see how many more black areas there are? My understanding is that this will create alot of sparkle.

Thus my first impression is that the second IS image will not be quite as bright, but will have tremendous sparkle, but the first one will have a pretty common balance of the two.

But this is not meant to be taken as fact, only a few differences in the two IS images that you should find out more about, and a possible interpretation to suggest and check if it is true or not.

joker382

Rough_Rock
Do you (or anyone) know what the green areas are in an ASET photo? or what I should be looking for? I noticed that the second one has more green at 1 o''clock and 8 o''clock.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://diamonds.pricescope.com/firescope.asp

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ags-grading-system-aset-angular-spectrum-evaluation-tool.30509/

1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don''t even need to look at all those images on an ACA! I promise you won''t be able to tell the difference! ACA''s are the cream of the crop, so you need to choose whether you want the tiny size difference on the VS2 or the higher VS1 clarity. That''s the only decision-making factor here, IMO.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2007 11:57:46 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
You don''t even need to look at all those images on an ACA! I promise you won''t be able to tell the difference! ACA''s are the cream of the crop, so you need to choose whether you want the tiny size difference on the VS2 or the higher VS1 clarity. That''s the only decision-making factor here, IMO.
100% agree

joker382

Rough_Rock
Diamondseeker.....if you were buying them, which would would you get....slightly bigger, slightly less clarity, or slightly smaller with a little better clarity???

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2007 12:13:18 PM
Diamondseeker.....if you were buying them, which would would you get....slightly bigger, slightly less clarity, or slightly smaller with a little better clarity???
i know! i know! pick me! pick me! i know what she would pick!
10.gif

joker382

Rough_Rock
Will you sparkle in the light for me and look beautiful??

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2007 12:18:01 PM
Author: belle

Date: 7/3/2007 12:13:18 PM
i know! i know! pick me! pick me! i know what she would pick!
10.gif
Ditto that...
31.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2007 12:27:24 PM
Will you sparkle in the light for me and look beautiful??
hahaha....i meant, pick me to answer the question!
9.gif

diamondseeker would pick the higher clarity.
2.gif

you just need to decide what is the most important ''mind clean'' issue for you. if they are all equal, price may be the only factor.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results