shape
carat
color
clarity

Down to Two Choices: Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

skinsfan

Rough_Rock
I asked a friend of a friend to send me some certs based on criteria I had... He didn't exactly match what my specifications were, but came close... I didn't discuss price with him yet. I searched for similar stones with pricescope and couldn't find matches that were close enough to give me an estimate as to a fair price.

Being that the Width in the second stone is more in line with a better cut, and assuming Depth, Crown, and Pavillion are almost identical, why did the second stone score worse in the Cut Advisor?

Also, should I be worried about the "Moderate Blue" Flourescence and Thick Girdle in the second stone? I read that some Flourescence can be a good thing.

Any thoughts on the two stones below as to which is better, assuming I can afford both and a rough estimate as to a fair price?

Size: 1.20
Measurements: 6.82 - 6.74 x 4.2
Clarity: SI1
Color: G
Depth: 61.9
Width: 61
Crown: 15
Pavillion: 44
Girdle: Medium, Faceted
Polish: Good to Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Cutlet: None
Flourescence: None
Cut Advisor: 3.9

Size: 1.24
Measurements: 6.89 - 6.83 x 4.25
Clarity: SI1
Color: G
Depth: 62.0
Width: 59
Crown: 15
Pavillion: 44
Girdle: Thick, Faceted
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Cutlet: None
Flourescence: Moderate Blue
Cut Advisor: 4.3

Many thanks!
Tom

moediamond

Rough_Rock
Hi Skinsfan,

These diamonds are either EGL or AGS certified.
AGS certs will also have "angles" posted, which would give you a more accurate HCA grading.
As far as fluorescence, that only helps J & K colors look nicer. Being a G color, a moderate blue might darken the stone a bit.
Here's my opinion:
Stone #1
With Polish being good to very good- it shouldn't be both, it must be one or the other.
Stone #2
As long as this stone is a few hundred less, it could be worth it- also you should see this stone to find out if the fluorescence bothers you.
Thick girdle is fine for prong setting or bezel settings.
Extremely thick girdles only look good in bezel settings.

As far as price, that's a whole topic in itself.
Every cutter sets their own prices and the vendors mark it up depending on what profit they either need or look for.
Some sell at 0% off RapSheet and others as much as 50%.
However $4300 to $4800 per carat is a fair range.
Once you find out the prices, compare them to stones listed here in pricescope- there are many nicer stones around.

:))

skinsfan

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for your responses...

They are indeed IGL certs (ugh, I know). I won't be able to get the angles (if he even has them) until early next week as the gentlemen is away on vacation (he really is :)... his assistant did say I can stop by to see them though.

I have a copy of the certs, they do say "good to very good"... although I am under the impression that polish isnt all that important, so even if it is good, I SHOULD be ok... guess I would need to see them.

If those stones are only worth $4800/c, I can definitely do better... I was planning on a budget of 7k or so for the main stone... but I am having a hard time finding a nice sized one that is still very good quality. Unfortunately for me, my girlfriends friends have quite the large rocks... I am certain they will be comparing them... but I dont want to sacrifice quality for size.

You know, this is worse than buying a car :(

Thanks very much for the info Moediamond... I think you convinced me to keep looking.

moediamond

Rough_Rock
You're very welcome.
Glad to be of help.
Advice: you could look at GIA certified Ideal G VS's in the 1."teens" (1.13 to 1.19) range if you budgeted yourself for up to $7K. You will find alot of beauties there

:bigsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results