shape
carat
color
clarity

Down to final two: 3 ct AGS000/H/SI2 vs 3 ct GIAVGXG/J/SI1

Mark2014

Rough_Rock
Many thanks to many of you. I learned a lot in the last weeks. After having reviewed many diamonds (online and in stores) I have it down to the final two.

Diamond 1: AGS000/H/SI2. I purchased this diamond from a NYC vendor and it is currently being shipped. I have seen pictures and a video and here is the AGS lab report: http://www.agslab.com/reportTypes/pldqr.php?StoneID=104069731014&Weight=3.03&D=1 It was also confirmed to be 100% eye clean but looking at the report I am a little skeptical.

Diamond 2: offered by a local jeweler and I have seen this diamond already in person. It is a GIA VG/X/G (HCA 1.0) but to me it looks very nice. It is a J but looks quite white due to the blue fluorescence. It is a SI1 but it looks extremely nice (although it does seem to have a feather that goes through the girdle). The lab report is here:
http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pag...&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=6147167712

On Monday I will go back to the local jeweler where I can compare both diamonds. Nevertheless, I would really appreciate your feedback if you had to chose between these two. In my last other thread I posted pictures on diamond 1

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Down to final two: 3 ct AGS000/H/SI2 vs 3 ct GIAVGXG/J/S

Don't get the J. I wouldn't even consider a MRB with only good symmetry. Wait for the H to arrive and tell up what you think. There is a chance that it's eye clean because the main inclusion is twinning wisps.

Roqsteady

Shiny_Rock

That h si2 looks like a winner if it's eye clean!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

Mark2014|1394907581|3634703 said:
Many thanks to many of you. I learned a lot in the last weeks. After having reviewed many diamonds (online and in stores) I have it down to the final two.

Diamond 1: AGS000/H/SI2. I purchased this diamond from a NYC vendor and it is currently being shipped. I have seen pictures and a video and here is the AGS lab report: http://www.agslab.com/reportTypes/pldqr.php?StoneID=104069731014&Weight=3.03&D=1 It was also confirmed to be 100% eye clean but looking at the report I am a little skeptical.

Diamond 2: offered by a local jeweler and I have seen this diamond already in person. It is a GIA VG/X/G (HCA 1.0) but to me it looks very nice. It is a J but looks quite white due to the blue fluorescence. It is a SI1 but it looks extremely nice (although it does seem to have a feather that goes through the girdle). The lab report is here:
http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pag...&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=6147167712

On Monday I will go back to the local jeweler where I can compare both diamonds. Nevertheless, I would really appreciate your feedback if you had to chose between these two. In my last other thread I posted pictures on diamond 1

Cut is king do not buy a good or very good RB go with the AGS000 as long as its eye clean

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with the others, I would eliminate the second one completely. I also wouldn't personally want an SI2 in a 3 ct stone. I'd far rather have an ideal cut at 2.5 cts with great cut, color, and clarity. There are a lot more diamonds in the world than these. I'd look more if I were you.

Mark2014

Rough_Rock

Thank you all.

diamondseeker2006|1394914240|3634740 said:
I also wouldn't personally want an SI2 in a 3 ct stone. I'd far rather have an ideal cut at 2.5 cts with great cut, color, and clarity. There are a lot more diamonds in the world than these. I'd look more if I were you.

I agree with you if the stone was really for myself. If you'll also see my very first thread on PS you'll see I had indeed selected first two stones with ideal cut (and H&A even) of 2.5 cts. Nevertheless, after I took my FF to a local jeweler she totally lit up when a 3 ct diamond was placed on her finger (after trying a 2 ct and a 2.5 ct). The one at the local jeweler (a different one than mentioned above) was even far worse than the GIA VGXG (diamond 2) and yet my FF loved it. So, I figured I will have to go with 3 ct but if I want to maintain my 30k budget something had to get sacrificed... Hence I chose for a S!2 (and trust me, I had MANY online and local vendors proposing me stones...). I do realize there is a certain durability risk but as long as it is eye-clean I think I will just stick with the diamond I have already purchased. If I would have had another month (or two!) to search I might actually have done so but I have to say I am pretty excited about the AGS000 I have in transit to me. As the others stated, I so hope it is eye-clean (but even if it won't I probably still will think long and hard before sending it back). One thing is for sure, I will never propose again! :D

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock

Take it to an appraiser as soon as you receive it. I'm just worried about the feathers.

Mark2014

Rough_Rock

For those of you that have been helping me in my search, here is the latest:
I currently have the 3.03 ct AGS000 H SI2 in my possession and took it to the local jeweler that offered the 3.01 ct GIA VGXG J SI1 (with HCA 1.0). While there they also showed a 3.01 ct GIA XXX I SI2 (with HCA 4.9!!). The local stones were offered for $30k (GIA VGXG, ring included) and $32k for the GIA XXX. Both GIA stones really had stunning clarities. I honestly couldn't understand why they were graded SI1 and SI2 (I attached the lab report of the new stone). My AGS000 stone had a much worse SI2.

Now, to ME, all three stones looked identical. They all looked eye clean to me but the local jeweler (and two people of his staff) said my AGS000 stone was not eye clean (of course, they want me to buy from them so not really a surprise I guess). I also looked at all three stones and couldn't tell a difference in color nor performance, despite the HCA score of 4.9 for one (is it the lighting used in the shop?). Under the loupe, however, you can tell a huge difference with my AGS000 stone being the worse. This afternoon I will be taking the stone to an independent appraiser but I am not quite sure what to ask. Just if it is eye clean? If it is worth the price I paid ($30k)? Should I go with one of the local stones with better clarities?

Attachments

• giaxxx_2155825609_3.pdf
    539.9 KB · Views: 59

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mark, I would not go for the one with the 4+ HCA score. Yes, jewelry store lighting is designed to make ALL stones look good! I understand that in your case, size is the most important factor for your future fiancee. It would be great if you could take the other stone and the AGS stone to the independent appraiser and let him/her tell you the pros and cons of each stone. It sounds like you are on the right track, and I am sure she is going to love the stone you choose!

Mark2014

Rough_Rock

Thank you. Indeed I was considering buying one of the local stones as well and then have the appraiser provide feedback. But I ended up not doing so but do have printed copies of the lab reports so hopefully these will be of help as well.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

With regard to the 3.03 H Si2, the good thing about features like twinning wisps and graining is that they are sort of amorphous and many times invisible to the naked eye. However, if they are pervasive enough in the stone they can significantly degrade actual light performance (even if the diamond is cut to ideal specs). Since twinning wisps are listed first on keys to symbols, they are the primary clarity feature and grade setter. In 'comments' it is mentioned that there are even more that are not plotted, along with some graining.

It is likely that the stone will be a little sleepy, even if it is eye clean. It is also likely that it still looks pretty, especially in good lighting and to the untrained eye. Just be aware that as the stone gets a little dirty with normal wear, light performance will drop off even more. It would be a good idea to be vigilant in keeping this diamond as clean as possible.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is excellent advice from Bryan!!!

Mark2014

Rough_Rock

The appraiser also confirmed that it is an eye-clean diamond. She did say that she would have graded it I1 but then she said "who am I to judge AGS". In any case, the appraised informed the inclusions did not pose a durability risk and that was really what I wanted to hear. So, for me it is a keeper! Indeed, I have looked at the stone under many different light conditions and it has been very pretty. I have taken duly note of keeping the stone clean :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results