shape
carat
color
clarity

Double claw prongs on a .75ct?

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

The obsessive planning for my future engagement ring continues...

I am now decided on an oval solitaire and will likely be getting around 0.7-0.75 carat. I really like the double claw prong look, but am concerned this will overpower a diamond of this kind of size.
My other option would be 6 prongs, but I would prefer look of the double.

Does anyone have any advice and/or pictures of double claw prongs on a similar sized diamond?

Thanks!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not for double claws on stones of this size. I prefer them on around 1.25 and up. Unless you're working with a master who can do
extremely fine double claw prongs, my vote is no. IMO, double claws makes the stone look less round on smaller stones. It just takes
up too much space on the circumference of the stone.

I would prefer to see 6 fine claw on a round (Or 4) for a stone this size. People will differ though. Perhaps you want it to look less round?

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your feedback @tyty333 .
I am planning on an oval, not a round, if that makes a difference.
I don't like some 6 prong settings where the oval looks more marquis shaped, but would consider something like this (disregard the halo):
6A7F9811-56FA-4B26-819A-DDBB3701D66B.jpeg

Is this look less likely to overwhelm the diamond?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I would go with 4 prongs. I don’t think 6 are necessary nor attractive. And yes, I think double is overkill for your size. I used to be totally into prongs, but now I’m all about have the least amount of prong necessary. I just don’t want someone saying to me, “Oh, what pretty prongs”... I want the diamond to be noticed, not what’s holding it in.

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
What are the measurements of the oval you’re thinking of? Is it more spready?

Do you have an inspiration pic of the double claw prongs you might like?

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
What are the measurements of the oval you’re thinking of? Is it more spready?

Do you have an inspiration pic of the double claw prongs you might like?
I don't have a specific diamond identified yet, it will depend on the setting price etc before I can determine the final budget for the diamond.

Yes, I'd like something like this but simplified (no pave), potentially made by someone like David Klass:

27D49F1F-4CCE-4C1E-B484-D06D06B9FDAA.jpeg E1A75904-D77C-45D5-83EC-29B31B84B5E0.jpeg
ps. I realise this example has a much bigger centre stone.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have good taste in settings...that one is very expensive even minus the pave!=)2

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Haha, yes I know, which is why I unfortunately won't be going with this exact one!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results