shape
carat
color
clarity

does your wedding have a theme (not just color)?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
this is really based off of 27 dresses, that movie had some crazy themed weddings

are you having a themed wedding or have you been to an interesting one?

i''m far too traditional and not creative enough to come up with a theme, it took me forever to even settle on a color scheme
3.gif
but it would be great to hear everyone''s stories or ideas
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven't been to any themed weddings. Well... there was one. I don't know if it was an intentional theme or just the couple trying to show off how much money they could spend on strange flower arrangements in fushia and orange. My husband still calls it the "Tequila Sunrise" wedding cause with the colored lighting effects and the rose studded giant lollipop looking arrangements (GIANT) on each table (Plural, three large ones of differing heights--tallest one was 7 feet high off the table-- and then six satelliete lollipops on each table... tables that COULD have sat 10 easily but only seated six because of the GIANT lollipop arangements), and the fushia and orange satin draped everywhere (including the ceiling)... where the bride was the ONLY thing in white (plates were GOLD, chairs were GOLD, MOB wore fushia, MOG wore orange, BMs wore ... you guessed it fushia and orange... I swear, you can't make this stuff up) he said he felt like "he was drowing in a tequlia sunrise". So yes... even just having a color scheme... if taken WAY THE HECK TOO FAR (I wish I had pics), could result in an (unexpected) theme.

I think we also went to one where it was supposed to be a 'spring garden' theme. But well... it wasn't well done and it was for a good friend so I just think of it as the wedding where I tripped (straight out of the shuttle bus, while completely sober) in my (brand new) Carmen Marc Valvo gown and killed my (favorite) Stewart Weitzman Heels, but was fed awesome food and discovered that Mikado Silk is THE best fabric EVER for a wedding dress if you want to look elegant, cool, unruffled and gorgeous (which the bride did).

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 1:42:37 AM
Author: Gypsy
I haven''t been to any themed weddings. Well... there was one. I don''t know if it was an intentional theme or just the couple trying to show off how much money they could spend on strange flower arrangements in fushia and orange. My husband still calls it the ''Tequila Sunrise'' wedding cause with the colored lighting effects and the rose studded giant lollipop looking arrangements (GIANT) on each table (Plural, three large ones of differing heights--tallest one was 7 feet high off the table-- and then six satelliete lollipops on each table... tables that COULD have sat 10 easily but only seated six because of the GIANT lollipop arangements), and the fushia and orange satin draped everywhere (including the ceiling)... where the bride was the ONLY thing in white (plates were GOLD, chairs were GOLD, MOB wore fushia, MOG wore orange, BMs wore ... you guessed it fushia and orange... I swear, you can''t make this stuff up) he said he felt like ''he was drowing in a tequlia sunrise''. So yes... even just having a color scheme... if taken WAY THE HECK TOO FAR (I wish I had pics), could result in an (unexpected) theme.

I think we also went to one where it was supposed to be a ''spring garden'' theme. But well... it wasn''t well done and it was for a good friend so I just think of it as the wedding where I tripped (straight out of the shuttle bus, while completely sober) in my (brand new) Carmen Marc Valvo gown and killed my (favorite) Stewart Weitzman Heels, but was fed awesome food and discovered that Mikado Silk is THE best fabric EVER for a wedding dress if you want to look elegant, cool, unruffled and gorgeous (which the bride did).
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
oh gypsy, i wish you had photos of that tequila sunrise wedding

aww, sorry to hear about your trip and your poor shoes
7.gif

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Our theme is love...

Just kidding, no theme here :p

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes: marriage.
9.gif

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
We were contemplating having a ''diamonds and pearls'' theme but then I kept seeing things that I loved that didn''t fit the theme so we scrapped it.

Diva0413

Brilliant_Rock
No theme. Just Fall season colors.

daught3rofEve

Rough_Rock
I''m more or less going for a "timeless/vintage" feel for the wedding.... like 20s, 30s feel. Not necessarily "flapper style". haha.

Kinda like how Fireflies in a jar reflect a youthful, playful tone,
3.gif
if that makes sense. I use the term "Fried Green Tomatoes" because the "get to gethers" featured in that film, really show what I''m talking about. Just really focus on family, and as far as decorations, what they would have had around the house at that time (wildflowers, mason jars, galvinized pails) that type of thing.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
The only themes I''ve really seen are seasonal, like a fall theme with fall colors, and then pumpkins and leaves for decoration. We''re doing a winter/holiday theme which really just means we''re serving eggnog, giving out ornaments, and have Christmas trees in the corners.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know if this is a "theme" - but we had fleur de lis in many aspects of our wedding - we had them on all of our STDs and invites, our cake had a fleur de lis design, and other things.

This, apparently, made people think that we loved fleur de lis, so, in turn, we received platters, bowls, vases, candleholders, etc all in fleur de lis patterns. Which we love them and they are always a reminder of our wedding and our "apparent" theme!

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Our reception will more than likely end up being more like a giant Halloween party since we are encouraging our guests to wear costumes and cut loose.

There are bits and pieces of Nightmare Before Christmas scattered throughout our ceremony and our reception decor but everything isn''t centered around just that. Our day has Halloween undertones throughout but I think we''ve managed to keep it tasteful. I guess we''ll see in a couple of months whether we pulled it off or not!

aliciagirl

Shiny_Rock
I guess ours is more of a theme than just colors... we are doing a vintage theme. With feathers and lace and I''m doing a birdcage veil. It kind of spills over into the colors, which are grey/pewter, ivory, green and blush. The space is kind of rustic, so it''s not going to be like Old Hollywood vintage (I totally wish...
30.gif
) but we are doing what we can to make it look old fashioned and glamorous!

DiamondsforDee

Shiny_Rock
No theme or colors here. I''m the anti-bride. I can''t get behind everything matching. Some matching is nice, but I did go to one wedding this spring that looked like a high school prom. Everything was red, black, and silver. It was crazy overboard and I just felt bad cause it made their really expensive wedding look pretty tacky.

I don''t recall ever going to a theme wedding, but I think if done right it could be really cute. While not my style, I think the halloween wedding could be a ton of fun.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 9:47:06 AM
Author: Keepingthefaith21
Our reception will more than likely end up being more like a giant Halloween party since we are encouraging our guests to wear costumes and cut loose.

There are bits and pieces of Nightmare Before Christmas scattered throughout our ceremony and our reception decor but everything isn''t centered around just that. Our day has Halloween undertones throughout but I think we''ve managed to keep it tasteful. I guess we''ll see in a couple of months whether we pulled it off or not!
wow, this sounds like a fun theme, i definitely would want to see photos of your wedding
9.gif

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 9:14:42 AM
Author: purselover
The only themes I''ve really seen are seasonal, like a fall theme with fall colors, and then pumpkins and leaves for decoration. We''re doing a winter/holiday theme which really just means we''re serving eggnog, giving out ornaments, and have Christmas trees in the corners.
this sounds like a fun wedding as well, christmas always makes me feel happy
4.gif

jeg80

Rough_Rock
I''m still a "LIW" but my boyfriend has made it clear that he would like a firefighting theme to our wedding
23.gif

He has been in the fire service for over 16 years and and absolutely loves anything fire/rescue related so he would like some elements of that in our wedding. He already said he would like an honor guard (firefighters in thier dress blues holding pike poles lined up down the aisle) and that will be kind of neat I think. As for other elements of firefighting at a wedding reception, I''m at a loss b/c of course I want to keep it classy as possible...as in no flames on anything
14.gif

Actually, if anyone has any suggestions that would great...I can use all the help I can get
35.gif

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 3:46:44 PM
Author: jeg80
I''m still a ''LIW'' but my boyfriend has made it clear that he would like a firefighting theme to our wedding
23.gif

He has been in the fire service for over 16 years and and absolutely loves anything fire/rescue related so he would like some elements of that in our wedding. He already said he would like an honor guard (firefighters in thier dress blues holding pike poles lined up down the aisle) and that will be kind of neat I think. As for other elements of firefighting at a wedding reception, I''m at a loss b/c of course I want to keep it classy as possible...as in no flames on anything
14.gif

Actually, if anyone has any suggestions that would great...I can use all the help I can get
35.gif
A few ideas:

Give out red hots/cinnamon candies for favors.

Dance to a song by Firehouse during the reception. LOL

See if you can drop by the firehouse for pictures on the day of the wedding. My cousin had the ladder truck stop by his reception and they took some great pics!

Cousin also cut his cake with a fireman''s ax, SUPER cool.

Have red velvet cake.

Use red and orange calla lilies - they remind me of flames!

Hope this helps!

ams0124

Brilliant_Rock
We don''t really have a "theme" but I''ve been calling our wedding "Mountain Chic"...I want to incorporate the feeling of winter in the mountains without the asscociation of log cabins and antlers. My goal is to bring the feeling of the outdoors, inside but make it feel warm and inviting...our color palette is various shades of dark purples, mainly eggplant, black, and silver highlights...

I hope it turns out as good in real life as I see it in my head.
1.gif

Vancity

Shiny_Rock
jeg80 - how about having a cute Dalmation doggie as your ringbearer or flowerdog?
9.gif

As for themes, I was once invited to a biker wedding. The bride had a custom made white leather 2 piece suit made for the occasion (if there was ever a girl who had the body to rock white leather pants, it was this chick.) Unfortunately, instead of the jacket looking like a cute feminine bolero, she ended up looking more like Elvis in the *fat* years
9.gif

I''ll never forget the *ROAR* of the Harley''s as they were approaching the wedding venue. Nearly made my eardrums bleed. I think some of the elderly guests had to change their Depends
9.gif

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
FI decided on a bird theme! Not over the top or anything, but we really like birds and nests and that sort of thing. Our invitations will have birds on them, and our place card holders will be nests. nothing super fun or exciting, but enough to make the look of the wedding cohesive i guess
20.gif

jeg80

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much equestrienne and vancity for all your ideas
36.gif

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
We had a beachy Mexican theme but it wasn''t overt, in-your-face, or over-the-top.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Sort-of, but not a kooky over-the-top theme. It was calla lilies. They were the only flower used in the bouquets. They were also on the archway and sweetheart table centerpiece, cake, favors, invitations, decor (framed pictures and large artificial potted calla lily plants), and many other aspects of the wedding that I''m forgetting.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
We are incorporating scrabble into various little parts of the day, the most noticeable will be the scrabble cake :)

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
We are having a bali styled wedding with bali flags, lots of candles, paper lanterns, day beds, and frangipani flowers. Some of the drinks will be cocktails that we love to drink when in Bali, I''m tossing up on whether or not to have some Bali Bintang beer... it tastes great when you are in Bali, but not so good when you are at home.
1.gif

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...well it''s around Christmas, so there will be Christmas trees and decorations in the venue. But really the "theme" is just cosy, indoors, candlelit, by-the-fire, warm and romantic...all the fuzzy, merry stuff about the holidays
2.gif

My parents were at a vegas themed wedding, where there were card tables and roulette slots outside for people to wander out to after dinner. It was well done, and a great novelty, cos Ireland is a long way from Vegas, and I think most people still have glamourous notions of it.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
i have an apple orachard theme! invites had apple trees, centerpieces have branches and apples, carmel apples as favors, lots of apple red and granny smith green.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
I''m doing a Moroccan theme. I''ve got hookahs, some Moroccan lanterns and pillows for the lounge funiture and patio area. I''d love to get Moroccan leather poofs, but they''re too $$
7.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
We don''t have a theme, we''re just doing what interests us. We will have beer on tap, custom pint glasses as favors, and pub trivia, so I guess it''s slightly pub themed
2.gif

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 7:45:59 AM
Author: charbie
i have an apple orachard theme! invites had apple trees, centerpieces have branches and apples, carmel apples as favors, lots of apple red and granny smith green.
wow charbie, that''s pretty cool, is there a reason you picked this theme?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results