shape
carat
color
clarity
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PriceScope Upgrade Completed
    For issues, questions and comments click the link below
    https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pricescope-upgraded-comments-and-issues.229551/

Dismiss Notice

Does your SO know how much you paid for your jewelry?

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Dancing Fire, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Dancing Fire
    Super_Ideal_Rock

valeria101 likes this.
  2. PintoBean
    Ideal_Rock

by PintoBean » Aug 10, 2017
    Oh gee, a benefit to being a widow!:whistle::eek2::confused2::lol:

caf, sarahb, ame and 6 others like this.
  3. OoohShiny
    Brilliant_Rock

by OoohShiny » Aug 10, 2017
    LOL @ PintoBean :D

@Dancing Fire - does yours? ;-)

Mine doesn't - when we got back off the holiday that I asked 'the question', she wondered about the specs so I told her, and she then spent that weekend looking in shop windows with her sister to try and work out how much I spent lol

It's nowhere near as much as if I'd bought the same spec from a B&M over here!

4. elle_71125
    Brilliant_Rock

by elle_71125 » Aug 10, 2017
    I think he has a general idea that it's a lot. :whistle:
    I'm pretty sure if I added it all up, I'd shock myself. :confused2::lol-2:

Hayley87, Calliecake and mochiko42 like this.
  5. missy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by missy » Aug 10, 2017
    Absolutely. I always tell him before (or right after LOL) I purchase bling. Seriously though I do tell him out of respect because we share our finances so if I am making a significant purchase I let him know. We always check with each other first. We are a team and work together towards our goals. And his philosophy in life is a great one anyway that I know many PSers SOs share. "Happy Wife Happy Life" :lol::bigsmile::appl::halo:

foxinsox, Hayley87, caf and 1 other person like this.
  6. baby monster
    Ideal_Rock

by baby monster » Aug 10, 2017
    Ballpark. I tell him before buying big items but he forgets.

7. ac117
    Brilliant_Rock

by ac117 » Aug 10, 2017
    Yep...this! :lol-2: We don't combine all of our finances but we still tell each other about any significant purchases.

8. Bluegemz
    Brilliant_Rock

by Bluegemz » Aug 10, 2017
    Yes, 100%... we make all major purchases together...we share finances and decisions. if he doesn't like a jewelry piece, then I will not buy it, though this rarely happens. I'm really grateful that we share a similar taste, and go jewelry browsing together. He's extremely kind and generous.

9. Calliecake
    Ideal_Rock

by Calliecake » Aug 10, 2017
    He 100% knows. I would probably be the one that was shocked if I added it all up. I'm lucky my husband believes the phrase "Happy wife, happy life" .
    We always discuss large purchases.

My husband can tell me what we have spent on just about everything the past 10 years, damn Quicken. Although I have to admit it came in handy when planning for our retirement.

Hayley87 and mrs-b like this.
  10. mrs-b
    Brilliant_Rock

by mrs-b » Aug 10, 2017
    All our accounts and CC's are joint, so there's no way to hide it. We don't buy things above a certain level without consulting the other, so the other evening, when I told him I wanted to upgrade my e-ring, he seemed to steel himself and said..."How much are you looking at spending?"

I told him, and he sort of gripped the sink a tad tighter, tried to make his face not look like this - :-o - smiled stiffly, and said, "Sure!"

He's a stand up guy. :)

foxinsox, Hayley87, caf and 6 others like this.
  11. StephanieLynn
    Brilliant_Rock

by StephanieLynn » Aug 10, 2017
    He has to know since our accounts are joint and we live on one income currently. I also consider his opinion although we have polar opposite taste in jewelry which was very apparent when I picked out a new setting recently :lol:

12. Queenie60
    Ideal_Rock

by Queenie60 » Aug 10, 2017
    Same - however, most of the time my husband doesn't care to know the price. I do most of the purchasing for our home, etc. He's too busy most of the time to care. And he trusts my judgement 100%, knowing that I've done my research prior to a large purchase.

ceg likes this.
  13. soxfan
    Ideal_Rock

by soxfan » Aug 10, 2017
    I totally lie. :lol::lol::lol:

msop04, mochiko42, canuk-gal and 7 others like this.
  14. elle_71125
    Brilliant_Rock

by elle_71125 » Aug 10, 2017
    Love and totally agree with this. My DH and I share finances too so I always ask first, if it's over a certain (pre-specified) dollar amount. He does the same. Honestly, I think he has a better idea of what my collection is worth than I do. :lol:

I just saw an article online the other day that said "happy wife happy life " is actually true. The article claimed that if a wife is happy, her husband is also significantly more happy (and likely to live longer). :kiss2: Though it did say that if a wife is sick (and obviously unhappy :blackeye:) her hubby is rated as being more happy. o_O Something about men liking to take care of us. :roll2:

Hayley87, FeFeV and ceg like this.
  15. Austina
    Brilliant_Rock

by Austina » Aug 10, 2017
    Of course! We've always had joint finances, so he'd know anyway :lol:

All high end items have been gifts from him (after I've chosen them and told him what I want :D ) and major purchases for everything are discussed and decided on jointly.

elle_71125, FeFeV and valeria101 like this.
  16. ceg
    Shiny_Rock

by ceg » Aug 10, 2017
    We have a set spending limit in which any purchase above the limit must be discussed. This was highly suggested by the priest who married us since we have different pholosophies on money. He's a saver and I am a spender. Although the limit has changed through the years we still go with the rule. With that said, all our accounts are joint and readily available to see purchases. I always ask (or tell!) him when I want to purchase above the limit. Lucky for me he never asks how much! I just say it's above the limit but I am sure he has an idea. I guess he's given up a little of his conservative money views and I don't ask for anything we can't comfortably afford. It seems to work for us.

FeFeV and valeria101 like this.
  17. Asscherhalo_lover
    Ideal_Rock

FeFeV likes this.
  18. valeria101
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by valeria101 » Aug 10, 2017
    If only it carried interest ...

19. tyty333
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by tyty333 » Aug 10, 2017
    More or less...I tell him but I'm sure he doesnt remember! I dont really spend that much on jewelry so its not a big deal.

20. Akalahab
    Rough_Rock

by Akalahab » Aug 10, 2017
    The only thing I don't explain to DH is groceries. Everything else is a joint decision, mostly because I'm a saver and have trouble spending money without him convincing me it's worth it!

FeFeV likes this.
  21. marcy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by marcy » Aug 10, 2017
    :lol-2: I hope not.

canuk-gal and monarch64 like this.
  22. FeFeV
    Shiny_Rock

by FeFeV » Aug 10, 2017
    I spend freely and rarely check our account... I'm very much like a child in many ways. My DH pays all of our bills, sets savings goals, allocate specific funds to my different projects, and all other responsible "grown-up" stuff. I like to coupon a little bit, price compare, as well as haggle and negotiate final costs. My DH knows the cost of all jewelry I purchase even if we don't discuss it because he monitors the activity on our account. He's my ultimate bestie so I like to run jewelry and fashion purchases by him for taste input rather than price critique.

23. autumngems
    Brilliant_Rock

by autumngems » Aug 10, 2017
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no

24. betty6333
    Shiny_Rock

by betty6333 » Aug 10, 2017
    most of it ! :whistle:

FeFeV likes this.
  25. Dancing Fire
    Super_Ideal_Rock

FeFeV and OoohShiny like this.
  26. luv2sparkle
    Ideal_Rock

by luv2sparkle » Aug 10, 2017
    We always talk about large purchases and usually alternate them. Like if I get a a 2k piece of jewelry then he gets the next big purchase for himself. It just works out great that way for us. It makes me think more about what I want to spend knowing that he would get the next happy. We usually don't spend a lot more than that. Although he did just get a new truck that was pretty close to 100k-does that mean I get to spend that much? Hmmmm....I just thought of that.

ac117, OoohShiny, foxinsox and 2 others like this.
  27. LLJsmom
    Ideal_Rock

by LLJsmom » Aug 11, 2017
    Yup. He spent it too.

FeFeV, monarch64 and Dancing Fire like this.
  28. canuk-gal
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by canuk-gal » Aug 12, 2017
    HI:

Well, he bought my radiant ER so yes he knew. And yes to the Yachtmaster since he likes watches and tries them on.

As for ALL the rest? Nope. Not sure it is on his radar. My Father was a jeweller/owned his own business hence I have been buying and changing jewellery with my own (earned) money all my life. Given that, he doesn't question my judgement about what I buy because he knows I am informed and do my research.

cheers--Sharon

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    FeFeV likes this.
  29. madelise
    Ideal_Rock

by madelise » Aug 12, 2017
    Not really... he doesn't want to know. As long as I pay my credit cards and don't go into debt, he's okay with it. If I tell him exact #s he may freak out.

He sees the general monthly statements and gets bewildered with how much I spend, but won't comb through the lines.

I pay my own credit card bills.

Bluegemz and OoohShiny like this.
  30. FeFeV
    Shiny_Rock

by FeFeV » Aug 13, 2017
    Sharon, you're my idol. :geek2: