shape
carat
color
clarity

does this look like a good stone?

boxy

Rough_Rock
For those of you know how to decipher these types of images, how does this one look to you all? The stone itself gets a .8 on the HCA, and a grade 1A on the AGA. Being a newbie, I'm not sure how to interpret the idealscope images of this stone. Any help would be greatly appreciated! http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Diamonds-1/GIA-Graded-Loose-Round-Diamond-1-92-Carat-E-Color-SI2-Clarity-109243.html
Hx: I just recently upgraded by original stone from 1.05 ct E VS1 to 1.79 D SI2, 7.84 x 7.88 x 4.75, HCA 1.4, GIA triple x, faint flor, AGA 1B. I really am enjoying this new stone, but decided to remake a new ring, since my original e-ring was custom made to hold a 1 ct stone, and the jewelers could not seem to get it quite right with the new, larger stone. Anyhow, now that I'm going through the trouble and expense of making an entirely new ring, I have been debating whether or not to go ahead and get a stone that hits the 8mm size, which was my very original hope at the beginning of my search for an upgrade. If my jeweler can get this stone, and allow me to trade, as it costs 500-800 more than what I paid for the current stone(on a couple of sites), I'm wondering if you all think it is worth it. Again, any feedback is appreciated. thx!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond looks okay but I have my doubts about whether it will be eyeclean from the top and sides with that rather large feather. The feather (crack) would be beyond my comfort zone, but I am picky about clarity. Someone would really have to see the stone to tell you if it is worth pursuing.

boxy

Rough_Rock
Thanks Diamondseeker,
I appreciate your advice. I'll pass on it and stick with my current stone. I'm sure my sales assoc will appreciate me leaving her alone as well! : )

cl600500

Rough_Rock
i am not a jeweler but i do own 2 diamond rings, the E color is great i love colorless stones, but the clarity is way poor....you need to find a balance the 4 c's they are like a 4 way seesaw, the best way to get what you want is to spend more money.....my advice for you is to live within your means and get a smaller higher quality diamond. the bigboy diamond's like 2cts are not what you should be looking for sorry

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Boxy!! What are you doing??!! :lol: You have caught the bug haven't you! :Up_to_something: I agree with DS, I think that you should have this stone evaluated closely for eye cleanliness. If I remember right, that's what you didn't like about your previous stone right? I'd hate for you to have to go through that all over again. :(sad

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
cl600500|1339382290|3213494 said:
i am not a jeweler but i do own 2 diamond rings, the E color is great i love colorless stones, but the clarity is way poor....you need to find a balance the 4 c's they are like a 4 way seesaw, the best way to get what you want is to spend more money.....my advice for you is to live within your means and get a smaller higher quality diamond. the bigboy diamond's like 2cts are not what you should be looking for sorry

...annnnnnnnnnddddddddddd what are you trying to insinuate? This person can still spend only $19k for a great stone. Live within your means? "Big boy" diamond? WTF? What makes you think the OP is living outside the OP's "means" What makes anyone think this person CAN'T spend more? Perhaps...they... don't want to? Since you mention the "clarity is way poor", let's go back to a post of yours circa 1 year ago, and I do quote: :naughty:

" by cl600500 » 17 Jul 2011 22:01
COLOR IS THE MOST IMPORTANT.....THEN CUT.............screw the clarity and size......get a nice diamond that is smaller,,, over the bigger diamond with low color"

-Color: E. Check
-Cut: XXX. Check.
Clarity: SI2 - according to you, screwed! Check!

Win win win for this OP according to you! :tongue:

Troll!

End.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

You're quite opinionated for someone with 9 post and not 1 of them supportive or informative.

Boxy needs to find balance with the 4 C's??? Thats rich coming from someone with a E color and very poor clarity! Do you know boxy personally? I'm not sure you are in a position to determine her means or pass judgement on the quality or size of the stone that she wishes to pursue. You're right, owning two diamonds doesn't make you a jeweler nor does it make you an expert by any stretch on this forum. PS is a positive friendly environment, where we support and encourage each other to make wise consumer choices, if that isn't for you, than maybe PS isn't.

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
Christina...|1339469484|3214290 said:

You're quite opinionated for someone with 9 post and not 1 of them supportive or informative.

Boxy needs to find balance with the 4 C's??? Thats rich coming from someone with a E color and very poor clarity! Do you know boxy personally? I'm not sure you are in a position to determine her means or pass judgement on the quality or size of the stone that she wishes to pursue. You're right, owning two diamonds doesn't make you a jeweler nor does it make you an expert by any stretch on this forum. PS is a positive friendly environment, where we support and encourage each other to make wise consumer choices, if that isn't for you, than maybe PS isn't.

Seriously! Same thing I was thinking, Christina! I was kinda irked when I read this post from this troll! :mad:

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
^Ok? Right before you changed your post to "\" and to that sad face, I caught what you said...

You gave two options:

2 ct E SI2 vs 1.25 E VS1-VVS.

-Not all SI2's are the same, not all VVS's are the same, as for VS. Even within the same grading lab...the gemologist looking at the stone gives a very subjective grade. I've seen some SI2's and SI1's that I couldn't even believe received that low of a grade! That's a null point; so yes, between those two stones as options AND if my fiancee wanted a large stone, if it was a very clean SI2 I'd pick that for my fiancee any day over a smaller one, given the price of the two stones are the same...

-People have to "balance the see-saw", yes, to get what they WANT. I'm sure you know about diamond buying, hell we all do here... If you have X amount of dollars and need to maximize some particular aspect of a prospect stone, it goes without saying things have be sacrificed. Obviously for OP she/he wanted size/color.

-Going back to your post, and perhaps you should clarify what you mean when you say "screw clarity". By getting an SI2, isn't the OP "screwing the clarity" (in your eyes)? So I don't get what you mean! That person has done all of what you have suggested:

According to you... COLOR>CUT>CLARITY/SIZE. So least emphasis on clarity, right? I think what you truly mean is COLOR>CLARITY/CUT>SIZE.

-I think for most on this board: CUT>SIZE>COLOR>CLARITY. For me, CUT>COLOR>SIZE/CLARITY. See? All personal preference! If you frequent this board enough, which it seems you don't... everyone will emphasize CUT CUT CUT CUT CUT CUT CUT CUT CUT over anything else. Why? Cuz that's what really matters first.

Sorry, but your comments were in no way helpful to anyone. None of your 10 posts are. You must have not thought about your last post either, and so that's why you went back to erase it... You say she shouldn't be looking at 2ct stones, perhaps you should think about your comments before you post, sorry. Maybe I'm not sorry...I just don't know... "we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, and Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time." Will Ferrell, Old School.

BTW, you do an IDEAL job of putting people down in your posts! Great work!

cl600500

Rough_Rock
your right on everything you said, i didnt mean to put anyone down, i just would rather see someone buy a smaller diamond with better optics and light dispersion then a big diamond with inclusions thats all.... i read posts all the time about people wanting a "bigboy"------(2cts and up in my opinion) diamond with like a 15k budget and thats not going to yield a good purchase. I have a camry with only 37,000 miles on it, sure i could buy a nice car but i dont care about image or other peoples perception of me. a 2ct attracts attention its huge and to have that attention its too much for me. so see where i am coming from and by no means did i put anyone down this is who i am and what i believe

cl600500

Rough_Rock
everyone should take a chill pill, big diamonds are not for everyone sorry for speaking my mind.....and if anyone is wondering what i mean....my perfect diamond would be a 1.50ct VVS1-2 and E-F color Ideal H&A diamond, thats all nothing crazy just a simple person here talking

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
cl600500|1339481426|3214401 said:
everyone should take a chill pill, big diamonds are not for everyone sorry for speaking my mind.....and if anyone is wondering what i mean....my perfect diamond would be a 1.50ct VVS1-2 and E-F color Ideal H&A diamond, thats all nothing crazy just a simple person here talking

Well, I suppose that's the point isn't it, what's perfect for you, is different than what perfect is for someone else. Most PSers value cut above all else, because that is what gives a diamond it's superior optics and light performance, not it's color or clarity (with the exception of heavy clouding or excessive twinning wisp etc which can interfere with performance, but is not the case with the OP stone). Many would argue not to spend a premium on high color or high clarity, as you are paying for something that you can not visual appreciate with the naked eye. It's almost impossible to tell a DEF for one another when the stone is set in it's mounting. An eye clean SI1 can look as good as any VS or VVS. So if size is important to someone, considering a near colorless SI diamond can be nice option. My happy place is an H VS2, because I consider it to be the best value and it allows me to spend more budget on size, we are all different. And I have owned VVS1 diamonds and I own a SI2, when I look at my SI2 with my naked eye, it's looks identical to my VVS1. But as you said, some people want mind clean and if that's your preference, who am I to argue that it's wrong?

Perhaps you didn't mean to offend the OP with your remark, and I apologize for upsetting you if I did. As I said before, that isn't what PS is about, and we honor and value everyones opinions here, it's just helpful when they can be backed up with informative chatter rather than snide remarks. ;-)

I think that we should all just move on, I know that Boxy has and is about to embark on an amazing remake. I think that we should all be excited for her! =)

boxy

Rough_Rock
Wow, I am just reading this. I'm sorry it got a little heated!!! Thankfully it seems that all is good now.
Well, I truly appreciate all the feedback and thoughts. After seeing what my jeweler has created for my ring remake, I think I am finally set and happy with my current stone after all. I do believe that my quest for a larger stone has come to an end...........for now. ;-) Thanks for all your help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results