shape
carat
color
clarity

Does this constitute animal cruelty?

soocool

Ideal_Rock
A neighbor from down the street with whom I and most of my neighborhood are not on speaking terms has 2 dogs. One is a 5 year old boxer who he keeps indoors because on numerous occasions the dog (despite the invisible fence - probably doesn't replace the batteries in the collar) has gone after other dogs who are walked on a leash. The other one is a 13 year old white lab that they keep in the garage and is outside most of the time. She does not wear a collar and is covered in sores. She is a somewhat friendly dog, however not so much towards other dogs. She roams the neighborhood freely and on several occasions has almost been hit by cars. Last week she got into my neighbor's garbage, knocking the can over and pulling out the bags and eating whatever she could find. I constantly chase her from my yard.

My next door neighbor called the police last week about the situation because the 2 of us don't think the dog has had its shots in a long time, nor is it probably licensed. We both have dogs and are afraid to let our dogs walk around on our own lawns in fear of them contracting something from the other dog.

I feel sorry for the dog and don't want to see it harmed, but the owner is a real jerk. I almost hit the dog as it ran out into the street earlier. I think they don't care what happens to it since she is old. Do I call the SPCA and report it as animal cruelty? There is no point talking to the neighbor because when I complained about his boxer going after my dog 2 years ago, he on 2 occasions tried to run me down with his truck while I walked my dog. (we are talking major jerk).

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like definite animal neglect and cruelty to me...

I'm not sure that talking would do any good with someone who has the "heart" to treat an animal that way in the first place...I would report it - hopefully you'll help SAVE the dogs.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I'd call animal control.

That's just awful.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
what do you mean he tried to run you down? did you have to run away to avoid being hit?

can't you file a police report against him for that? i'm outraged!!

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
If the dog's constantly at risk of being hit by cars and the owner doesn't care, and it's hungry enough to scrounge neighbors' garbage for food, AND it has visible open sores and isn't getting veterinary treatment... then yeah, that's a clear case of abuse and neglect.

Report it to the SPCA.

(And if your neighbor is trying to run you over with his truck, report him to the police too.)

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I think this falls under "animal neglect/cruelty" for sure. The dog has visible sores, it is often left to wander on her own and scrounge for food.... I would call on it.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
The dog has access to shelter. If you can document that the dog does not have access to food or clean water, then that would warrant neglect. This is law in a majority, if not all states.

The best way to report it to authorities would be the sores angle. The owner would have to show that he has attempted to treat the dog. Animal welfare investigators would talk with the owner and evaluate the dog. If they believe the sores to be serious enough, they can order the owner to seek veterinary care or release ownership of the dog and have it treated evaluated and put up for adoption, or put down if it's too far gone with other unseen issues.

A report of an injured sick dog roaming the neighborhood that is living behind someone's garage, is a fast way to get investigators out.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
This sounds like a bad situation for these animals. I definitely think that you should report it. Check the ASPCA website for lots of info on reporting. You can check the laws in your state and find out who to contact.

Oh and I agree with everyone else. You should not only report the animal cruelty, but call the police if this guy is trying to run you down in a truck! Unbelievable!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone. I will call the SPCA tomorrow. They will maintain my anonymity because I don't want this neighbor taking it out on me.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Your neighbor is more than a major jerk. He's a homicidal maniac. I think it's cruelty and I would report it.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
davi_el_mejor|1291329566|2785538 said:
The dog has access to shelter. If you can document that the dog does not have access to food or clean water, then that would warrant neglect. This is law in a majority, if not all states.

The best way to report it to authorities would be the sores angle. The owner would have to show that he has attempted to treat the dog. Animal welfare investigators would talk with the owner and evaluate the dog. If they believe the sores to be serious enough, they can order the owner to seek veterinary care or release ownership of the dog and have it treated evaluated and put up for adoption, or put down if it's too far gone with other unseen issues.

A report of an injured sick dog roaming the neighborhood that is living behind someone's garage, is a fast way to get investigators out.

Very good tip, Davi. Good on you for contacting the SPCA, Soocool. Can i suggest perhaps giving them your details but requesting they not allow this person to know (i dont think they would anyway) - just so that they have you as a contact if they take the animals and there is a question of them being unadoptable or some such, that way you could find a no-kill shelter or something?

I think its great you're willing to go into bat for these poor pups, i wish there were more people like you about.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
yes its cruelty, without a doubt. And I would definately call, but not from my home phone and then I would not give my personal details. You could try to block your number too from what ever number you call, but often government phones have called ID anyway that overrides that.

I would tell them you were put in danger by him to emphasize they NOT release your personal details. I fear that if he found out it was you, he could harm you or your dog. He sounds crazy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results