• A. Yes

Votes: 28 45.2%
  • B. No

Votes: 34 54.8%

• Total voters

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the design and I love it with the other band but I don’t love the milgrain closeup Nala - it’s a bit bobbly for my taste. I don’t dislike the ring by any means but I would prefer hand done milgrain.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I love the design and I love it with the other band but I don’t love the milgrain closeup Nala - it’s a bit bobbly for my taste. I don’t dislike the ring by any means but I would prefer hand done milgrain.

Same. So, it would depend on the price for me. Did I like it enough to overlook the milgrain finish?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the look Nala!
To my eyes (and probably because of the close-up) it looks like an elegant cord around the diamonds and not so much like milgrain. But I love the look of this band

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's more "beading" than milgrain (was probably cast this way not applied as a finish) but there's nothing wrong with that! It'll be less likely to wear down over time and that's not a bad thing.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
It's more "beading" than milgrain (was probably cast this way not applied as a finish) but there's nothing wrong with that! It'll be less likely to wear down over time and that's not a bad thing.

this! Agree with asscherhalo lover...

it also depends on the communication that you had with jeweler PRIOR to making this eternity.
Have you seen their work prior to engaging them to do this for you?
did you provide an inspiration picutres of what YOU WERE LOOKING FOR in an eternity with milgrain. Were you specific about this and the outcome of it? WHat type of discussions were had before and perhaps during the processing of this ring did you have?

FWIW, i do not think the 'milgrain' looks cheap, i think it is more of a beading effect like what asscherhalo lover mentioned. For me, it seems too big for this kind of a ring with the smaller stones. Some ppl like this look as evidenced by what others have mentioned that it looks great. However, for me i prefer a different look. Which i sense, is what you are after and not what you got. Hence, it really depends on the communication that you have had in the past/ during and now post fabrication of the ring.

As a bit of background.....

I have a solitaire with milgrain. i supplied inspirational pictures, and i knew it was going to be cast. i raised it at the CADs stage that i thought the milgrain was too obvious. Yes, it is 'bigger'/ different BUT, it also means that it will not wear down as quickly as hand applied milgrain.

After it was completed, i did not like the look of the cast milgrain. Fortunately, with the design, there was enough gold for him to polish down the milgrain to make them smaller. i think he eventually polished it all off and hand applied the milgrain. Which gave it more a subtle bead/vintage look that i was after.

Hopefully you can discuss your jeweler on what you are hoping to have received, and what you actually received.

Good luck.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same. So, it would depend on the price for me. Did I like it enough to overlook the milgrain finish?
So I would love to reply to everyone. But I’m gonna reply to this as it stands out and might change the course. Lol. This is actually a Costco band that is being sold estate. It is 1 carat. And it is priced at 675 dollars. I’m still on the fence.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with others than the finish is beading rather milgrain. I do not think it looks cheap at all but for my own tastes and to my own eyes the size of the beading is too large and overwhelms the diamond melee.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So I would love to reply to everyone. But I’m gonna reply to this as it stands out and might change the course. Lol. This is actually a Costco band that is being sold estate. It is 1 carat. And it is priced at 675 dollars. I’m still on the fence.

As a member of the Trade, I am not allowed to comment on individual pieces, whether mine or someone else's.

I would like to comment in general when buying something in an estate. When you can buy a piece for less than it would cost to properly make it, BEFORE you add in the cost of any gems involved, then it comes down to, "Do YOU like it enough to part with the price being asked?"

If no, then either negotiate a lower price, or walk away. If yes, then buy it and take joy in knowing you got a great price.

Wink

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think it looks cheap, just less refined than other examples of milgrain that we sometimes see on this site. But if you were sitting next to me on a train for example I'd be eyeballing your lovely rings and cheap wouldn't cross my mind.

Reactions: D&T

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock

you are still on the fence- why?
What is it that you are deliberating on?

Price v beading???

@Wink is spot on.
What you feel and what you like, only you can decide. Then comes the price.

Another way of deciding is use a coin, which I read online about being on the fence of something and needing to make a decision.

Heads = keep
Tails = return

Throw the coin in the air.

When it’s in the air listen to your mind- what does it say? heads or tails?

That is you answer.

But that is only one way to decide. There are many.

Good luck!!!

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
this! Agree with asscherhalo lover...

it also depends on the communication that you had with jeweler PRIOR to making this eternity.
Have you seen their work prior to engaging them to do this for you?
did you provide an inspiration picutres of what YOU WERE LOOKING FOR in an eternity with milgrain. Were you specific about this and the outcome of it? WHat type of discussions were had before and perhaps during the processing of this ring did you have?

FWIW, i do not think the 'milgrain' looks cheap, i think it is more of a beading effect like what asscherhalo lover mentioned. For me, it seems too big for this kind of a ring with the smaller stones. Some ppl like this look as evidenced by what others have mentioned that it looks great. However, for me i prefer a different look. Which i sense, is what you are after and not what you got. Hence, it really depends on the communication that you have had in the past/ during and now post fabrication of the ring.

As a bit of background.....

I have a solitaire with milgrain. i supplied inspirational pictures, and i knew it was going to be cast. i raised it at the CADs stage that i thought the milgrain was too obvious. Yes, it is 'bigger'/ different BUT, it also means that it will not wear down as quickly as hand applied milgrain.

After it was completed, i did not like the look of the cast milgrain. Fortunately, with the design, there was enough gold for him to polish down the milgrain to make them smaller. i think he eventually polished it all off and hand applied the milgrain. Which gave it more a subtle bead/vintage look that i was after.

Hopefully you can discuss your jeweler on what you are hoping to have received, and what you actually received.

Good luck.

Thank you for sharing this. I was aware there was a difference in milgrain but not enough about the specific processes to ask. I am shying away from having a band migraines because I want it so delicate and subtle and. I don't know this bench.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
FWIW, I like the ring, I'd prefer more delicate milgrain but for the price (assuming the stones sparkle) I wouldn't kick it out of the proverbial jewelry box.

Would this be for a stack or to wear with an engagement ring? I'd be pickier if it was for my ering.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the advice. Update: i went back to see it and I was not thrilled. Can’t put my finger on why. Lol. So I just passed.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala probably for the best if you just couldn't like the ring. TO me it looks like beading instead of milgrain. My expectation of milgrain is smaller and finer looking.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the advice. Update: i went back to see it and I was not thrilled. Can’t put my finger on why. Lol. So I just passed.
The ring reminds me of a design that is very popular with moissy eternity bands. Maybe that's where the "cheap" feel is coming from for you?

*Comments were not meant to disparage this design or moissy in general*

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I don't think it looks cheap, just less refined than other examples of milgrain that we sometimes see on this site. But if you were sitting next to me on a train for example I'd be eyeballing your lovely rings and cheap wouldn't cross my mind.
Absolutely! I'd be thinking, lucky person has good catholic taste.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results