shape
carat
color
clarity

Does my diamond look "flat"? Or am I getting stressed out for nothing?

rcharlotte

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
This is my first post here. I heard this is a great community with a lot of diamond experts so I'm hoping you will weigh in and help me figure something out about my diamond ...

Here's the story, I got engaged a little while back and my fiance and I chose the diamond together. We thought we were really on top of things, researching a ton about diamond angles and the varying quality of grading labs etc. We settled on my current diamond and at first I was reallllly happy about it. It sparkles like crazy, it's the carat weight I had hoped for (1.02), GIA triple Excellent, and it was within budget.

However, now that I've been wearing it a while (6 months) I'm noticing small things about it. Specifically, that in some lighting it appears quite "flat" on top. I pulled up my certificate and did a bit more research and I'm wondering if this has to do with the 34 degree crown angle and the 59% table. We knew that a 59% table was going to be slightly out of ideal range and would sacrifice some fire but we were OK with that because of our budget. I didn't expect it to make the diamond look flat on top though. When I look at some of my friend's diamonds closely, they seem to round out more on top. But maybe their stones are cut too deep and their crowns too high? Who knows...

I've posted some photos below. As I'm no diamond expert, my question for you all is about the 34 crown angle and 59 table. Does this combination cause a diamond to look flatter on top? Is this a bad thing? Or are these dimensions still within "excellent range"? I'm not looking for my diamond to be 100% perfect, but I do want to know if this "flat" look I'm seeing is a real thing or if I'm become too obsessed and this is nothing to be concerned with.

Thank you in advance for you thoughts!

IMG_20180328_173853.jpg IMG_20180420_174830.jpg IMG_20180730_105917.jpg IMG_20180729_121837.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is your stone still within the return period? I just think if it bothers you then get one with a smaller table/higher crown.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Find the GIA report number, post it up, and run the numbers through the HCA tool under the Tools tab at the top of the forum :)

rcharlotte

Rough_Rock
The GIA report number is 6225912477.

When I run it through the HCA tool, it scores a 1.7, which looks to be a great score. It obviously doesn't tell me anything about whether the top of the diamond "looks" flat or not though ... I guess it's a personal preference?

There is still time for me to exchange it for another diamond If I want but I'm trying to get some unbiased opinions on if this is an issue or not. I don't want to go through the exchange if this is all in my head haha! I think I've stared at it so much I don't really know anymore, which is why I was hoping to get your opinions :).

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is your stone still within the return period? I just think if it bothers you then get one with a smaller table/higher crown.
Agree. I used to have a 59 table and I always felt that way. It might just be your personal preference but that’s why you are lucky that you have a return possibility. I find that I need a few weeks to really understand the nuances of my diamonds. For me, love at first sight doesn’t work. Is it really a hassle to return?

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it looks beautiful.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks pretty to me.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When was the last time it went in an ultrasonic or was professionally cleaned.

I found my diamonds would bother me when they were dirty,

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a beautiful diamond to me.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When was the last time it went in an ultrasonic or was professionally cleaned.

I found my diamonds would bother me when they were dirty,

I second this... and I think you did a pretty good job. It looks beautiful. However, if it really bothers you, then exchange for a smaller table and/or higher crown angle (which is what makes it look "tall" on top).

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, can you post a photo of the profile of the diamond (not tilted)?

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The big table is causing the diamond to look flatter because the table is, by definition flat, so you have a larger flat facet than a diamond with a 57% table. It still looks nice, but if you would like your diamond to look less flat a smaller table% and higher crown angle would help.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 on cleaning, could be impacting your perceptions. The top part is going to be a little more squat than something with a higher crown, and it's also going to sparkle differently as you mentiined. I think it looks quite nice but you could go spend some time some stones of different proportions and see what you think. It may be you prefer this silhouette after all once you've evaluated some others, or you decide you really do prefer tiny tables and puffy crowns.

Hard for others to weigh in b/c it really comes down to personal preference. =)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lighting is the biggest variable, even the best cut RB looks flat in diffused flat lighting.
Due to different ratios of virtual facets they all have a different look but the will all go flat looking in very flat lighting. CFL(curly light bulbs that replaced the round ones) lighting is one such lighting.

These are good numbers:
Depth
Table-to-culet depth, expressed as a percentage of average girdle diameter for round shapes or width for fancy shapes.

60.3%
Table
59%
Crown Angle
34.0°
Crown Height
14.0%
Pavilion Angle
41.0°
Pavilion Depth
43.5%
Star Length
50%
Lower Half
80%

Last edited:

rcharlotte

Rough_Rock
Lighting is the biggest variable, even the best cut RB looks flat in diffused flat lighting.
Due to different ratios of virtual facets they all have a different look but the will all go flat looking in very flat lighting. CFL(curly light bulbs that replaced the round ones) lighting is one such lighting.

These are good numbers:
Depth
Table-to-culet depth, expressed as a percentage of average girdle diameter for round shapes or width for fancy shapes.

60.3%
Table
59%
Crown Angle
34.0°
Crown Height
14.0%
Pavilion Angle
41.0°
Pavilion Depth
43.5%
Star Length
50%
Lower Half
80%

Hi there, thanks for your response and explanation about the lighting. I'm somewhat relieved to hear that there is certain lighting that can make all MRB diamonds look flat. You mentioned that those were good numbers - are you talking about the numbers from the GIA certificate for my diamond?

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It appears to me there are 2 definitions of "flat" here. 1) Literally flat, physically, like a piece of paper. That is likely due to the table size and crown angle making the literal top surface of the stone look low and hence "flat". And 2) "flat" in the optical reference - meaning no "depth" to the light performance of the stone.

As KarlK said, and I trust him, the numbers are good - they play nice together. BUT - the table is large. Perhaps OP needs to see more traditionally ideal cut stones with smaller tables and higher crown angles in order to determine differences in performance under various lighting conditions, as well as personal preference.

Maybe a trip to a local Hearts on Fire dealer would be helpful?

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
It looks beautiful to me also, but if it is going to keep bother you, then maybe you should get another stone. You can hear from 1000 people that the stone looks beautiful, but, you are the one wearing it.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The crown height is 14% so it's not a pancake. If you got a same carat weight stone but with a smaller table and higher crown, you'll likely lose diameter (face up size).

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi there, thanks for your response and explanation about the lighting. I'm somewhat relieved to hear that there is certain lighting that can make all MRB diamonds look flat. You mentioned that those were good numbers - are you talking about the numbers from the GIA certificate for my diamond?
Yes, I copied and pasted the numbers from the GIA report.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Copy of the GIA report posted below. Also, included the AGS proportions chart. As @Karl_K pointed out, the numbers are very good and the stone appears very beautiful with great overall specs. Red circle indicates precisely where the angles land; however, the blue circle is a more realistic due to rounding & averaging of GIA values.

Also, while this isn't quite a 60/60 diamond I think the following article is helpful:
https://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/diamond-education/60-60-diamonds-1503.htm

But really it boils down to this, if after properly cleaning your stone, you still feel it isn't what you want then now is the time to return the stone and get something more to your liking. If you let us know the vendor and budget constraints we can try to help you find something that may be more to your liking.

6225912477.png Capture.PNG

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
HCA score is NOT everything! HCA is just the light return seeing the stone from above. But every diamond is 3 dimensional and profile view is also important. My personal preference is 55% table because such smaller table gives nicer profile.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A profile shot would be helpful - went back and looked at your pics, at the angles you've taken the pics it does not look flat to me. Jmo.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results