carat
color
clarity

Does anyone here play pool?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love playing pool.
There is a perfect blend of skill vs. luck and play vs. work.
I find the game endlessly fascinating.

I'll go to a billiards hall to study/practice lessons that I get from a book, and go to a bar to play others to refine my game and just chill out with a beer.
It runs from 50 cents to a buck for a game and can be a fun way to spend an evening.
Almost everyone I meet is very nice and cool.
Very rarely are there rough guys, though occasionally I'll met a guy to takes the game too seriously and nit pics about the rules.
I never play for money, nor have I ever been asked to.

I love to study, work hard, practice and get better.
Oddly, my game is all over the map.
I miss easy shots and nail some very hard ones.
It's like playing the piano in that you are never finished learning and improving.

15 years ago I bought a good cue (stick).
It's made by McDermott, and was around $200.
I picked this price point because IMO with anything more expensive you are mainly paying for fancier inlays and cosmetics.
Performance-wise, mine is a fine cue, but looks very modest.

Recently I left my cue in its case my trunk in the sun.
The finish cracked on the butt ... the half of the stick that is furthest from the tip that hits the ball.
I called McDermott to see what it would cost to fix it.
They said it's free, and I have a lifetime warranty.
I told them I don't have the receipt from 15 years ago and they said, no problem just mail it in.
Whoa! Awesome!
What a great company ... I recommend a McDermott cue to anyone who plays. Fine product, excellent service.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to play quite regularly but took a break of some years......now I play a mere 4-6 times a year.
I used to be good......now i'm merely having fun.
every once in awhile I make a shot and people look at me like they can't believe I could make that shot.
like I said, I used to be quite good..........
sigh.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I'll play at a bar if they have a table. Sometimes I'm god-awful and sometimes I'll pull off amazing shots. I just play for fun against my husband.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1371939844|3470634 said:
Recently I left my cue in its case my trunk in the sun.
The finish cracked on the butt ... the half of the stick that is furthest from the tip that hits the ball.
I called McDermott to see what it would cost to fix it.
They said it's free, and I have a lifetime warranty.
I told them I don't have the receipt from 15 years ago and they said, no problem just mail it in.
Whoa! Awesome!
What a great company ... I recommend a McDermott cue to anyone who plays. Fine product, excellent service.
used to own a Meuuci cue before it was stolen. when was playing pool Joss and McDermott was very popular too.

MrsAkin

Rough_Rock
I do and I really enjoy practicing my game when I see a pool table. Actually my husband taught me to how to play 2 years ago during a ski trip and I beat him my first time of playing- it's almost instinctive for me. He used to be cool about it but now we get more competitive with each other. :naughty: It's so much fun to see people gathering around the table to watch us play.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for this topic, Kenny. I grew up with a pool table in my basement, but don't play much the last 35 years...but ocassionally do.

My parent's moved to a retirement home, and they have one there.

This Friday I'll be with friends at a high school reunion, and may suggest we go to some place where we can play...thanks to this post.

For all the reasons you've said...I enjoy the game, too.

Ira Z.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Growing up my family had a pool table and I always enjoyed playing. Then in graduate school we had a bumper pool table (not the same but I still enjoyed it) and I was pretty good and was the reigning champion while I was in school lol. I haven't played pool for a very long time but I keep joking with my dh that when we finish the attic I want to put a pool table there. For some reason he is not thrilled with the idea but I have a feeling there might be a pool table (and a puppy or 2) in our future. :cheeky:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to play a lot of snooker.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results