shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone have a Kindle???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
My DH bought my one for Christmas, however, mine is backordered until March!! Oprah made them hot, I suppose. But, I guess it''s a good thing its backordered since the rumor is Amazon will be launching Kindle 2.0 sometime early 09 and I could cancel the exsisting order to get the new one instead...

But, I''m interested on what everyone''s thoughts were about the Kindle in general?

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I just did a quick poke around the internet and the general consensus is that Amazon will be coming out with 2.0 in the early first quarter of 2009, there is also supposed to be a model more specifically geared to students coming out in the first half of 2009. I''m really interested in owning one of these so when you get it let me know how it works out! I have a mac so a device that didn''t need to interface with my mac would be great!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello, our of touch much? LOL. I thought you wanted to set something on fire. ROFLMAO.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/30/2008 2:25:18 AM
Author: Gypsy
Hello, our of touch much? LOL. I thought you wanted to set something on fire. ROFLMAO.
Hahahahaha! Too funny.

I am curious about them, would love to see one in action.

vslover

Shiny_Rock
I got my Kindle in July and love it. It goes everywhere with me and I love that I don''t have to carry a stack of books with me everywhere I go now!

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
A friend of mine has one, and I got to play with it. It''s very cool. She travels a lot for work, and this lets her bring a bunch of books with her without actually lugging them around. She finds it especially helpful for her research (she''s a literary scholar and novelist).

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I had never heard of it before, but looked it up and it looks really cool.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I really wanted one! But the problem is I love re-reading the books I have, and there''s no way I''d pay for them again for the electronic version. Too bad they can''t figure out a system so I can get e-copies of all the books I currently have so I can read them on Kindle (as impractical as that would be, I still want it to happen
3.gif
)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve used one before, but in my opinion nothing beats a good old-fashioned paperback.

My mother can''t wait to get a set for her middle school, she''s a big fan.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Nate got me one for my birthday back in September. I really enjoy it.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
your book, once bought, stays on your Kindle, so you can re-read it if you wish.,

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Since my Kindle is backordered, if the 2.0 comes out, I will cancel my current order and get the new one instead.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Kindle users - does it make your eyes hurt at all?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2009 12:15:42 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
your book, once bought, stays on your Kindle, so you can re-read it if you wish.,

Ooh that''s good. Unfortunately, I have rather large book collections at both my parents'' house and my apartment - if only I could transfer those to the Kindle!

If, however, the new Kindle, or the student version or whatnot, supports law school textbooks, I will totally order one in a heartbeat!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/2/2009 12:26:18 PM
Author: Elmorton

No, and I have horrible eye issues.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I really may have to look into this - I''m such a big reader, and we are constantly accumulating stacks of books (much to DH''s dismay). I worry that I would miss the tactile experience of a book though - I love opening up a new one, curling up with one on a rainy day, dogearing the pages, etc...yeah I know, cheesy
20.gif

But I''ll be interested to see what newer generations bring.

vslover

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/2/2009 12:26:18 PM
Author: Elmorton

no...it really is designed to be JUST like reading paper. It''s great...no eyestrain at all and you can control the size of the print also...make it bigger as your eyes get tired!

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been thinking about getting one, but it''s hard for me to give up the good ole Library! I love being able to get and read books for free and I''m there at least twice per week. Then I can buy the ones I truly enjoy. Maybe it is time for change though...you guys are starting to sway me over to the Kindle side. I will probably wait for 2.0 though.

Thanks for your reviews!
1.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 12:11:11 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
I really may have to look into this - I''m such a big reader, and we are constantly accumulating stacks of books (much to DH''s dismay). I worry that I would miss the tactile experience of a book though - I love opening up a new one, curling up with one on a rainy day, dogearing the pages, etc...yeah I know, cheesy
20.gif

But I''ll be interested to see what newer generations bring.

I feel the same, AG. I love the other sensory experiences from reading!

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2009 5:17:22 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

Date: 1/2/2009 12:15:42 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor

Ooh that''s good. Unfortunately, I have rather large book collections at both my parents'' house and my apartment - if only I could transfer those to the Kindle!

If, however, the new Kindle, or the student version or whatnot, supports law school textbooks, I will totally order one in a heartbeat!
This works until you run out of room. Converting it to another format so you can save it is a real pain. That''s the downside.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I''ve had my Kindle since November and I love
30.gif
it.

The pros:
Reads just like a book, after the first 5 minutes you forget it''s electronic.
No headaches.
Instant gratification - want a book? Click and 30 seconds later you''re reading it.

The cons:
Initial cost.
Too easy to spend $$$, it''s like crack
32.gif

Since I read 9-11 books a week and books average around $9.99 each, you can see where this is heading. I imagine I''m well over $600 worth of books already. I need to wean myself back to the FREE library which is right across the street from my condo but the Kindle is just sooooo easy.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 4:02:09 PM
Author: purrfectpear
I''ve had my Kindle since November and I love
30.gif
it.

The pros:
Reads just like a book, after the first 5 minutes you forget it''s electronic.
No headaches.
Instant gratification - want a book? Click and 30 seconds later you''re reading it.

The cons:
Initial cost.
Too easy to spend $$$, it''s like crack
32.gif

Since I read 9-11 books a week and books average around $9.99 each, you can see where this is heading. I imagine I''m well over $600 worth of books already. I need to wean myself back to the FREE library which is right across the street from my condo but the Kindle is just sooooo easy.
Do you have any trouble getting titles you really want to read? I''m not a bestseller list type reader, most of the tme.

I think Kindle books should cost less than 9.99 personally.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I''m with the tactile folks. I''m intrigued... but I''d miss the smell of books, and the heft, and turning pages. That sense of bittersweet accomplishment when you turn the last page...
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results