shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone else have friends that they can''t share new jewelry purchases with?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ndpwood

Rough_Rock
I have a few friends who I know are suffering in the current economy. I feel like showing them my new ring would be a bit braggy, so I haven''t said anything unless they notice. My husband and I started out with nothing, so to me there is no shame in being smart with your money, but it is nice to have friends that I can share my excitement with!! Thank you PS! (Even though I am relatively new and not so regular, you guys are so great! The nicest forum people ever!)

exoticisabella

Shiny_Rock
Ooooh! New bling? Do show!
9.gif
And yes, I do feel that way but for a different reason. I
30.gif
pawn shops and buy a lot there. So, it looks like I have more money then I really do and I know that my coworker get a little green (even though I tell them how little I spent).

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe it's just me, but I do not wear my flashy diamonds around friends I know who are struggling in this economy. In fact, I feel guilty even wearing a new coat or shoes around them! When it comes to creating a fashion statement, I'll wear a scarf rather than a diamond pendant.

ETA - what is the update on your 5-carat diamond? Any photos?
2.gif

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don''t have any friends I feel I could geek out with over my jewelry the way I do online. Part of it is the economy, and part of it is that they''re just not jewelry people ... I am *very* glad to have PS!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have anyone who really is into jewelry that much, so it wouldn''t matter if I was sheathed in diamonds. I do have a couple coworkers who notice jewelry but they don''t really want to sit and have a whole conversation about the cut or setting.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I dont wear my really good or favorite jewelry these days mainly because a few friends that know im struggling to make ends meet want me to sell off the bigger pieces.They dont understand the re-sale market and even though I have been selling off the smaller pieces(just sold a gold chain and vintage handmade gold and turquiose pendant last week)they think that I SHOULD TAKE ANY OFFER on the bigger pieces(like 10%-20% of retail on a Rolex ect....ya right
29.gif
)...anyway I agree that its better not to discuss luxury items with those who are struggling in today economy,but dont stop wearing your jewelry...just dont discuss dollar amounts if the subject comes up.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I don''t show off my jewelry to friends or family. My brother has been unemployed for months, and you just can''t show off any new purchases. If your friends do notice, just say, yes, we are very fortunate. For indeed, you are. There are people who have worked hard, and have lost everything.

Enjoy your beauties, and feel free to share them with your PS friends.
36.gif

wsu12

Brilliant_Rock
I feel your pain, I cannot show my MIL or my SIL any new purchases...They have voiced their opinion multiple times about how my husband spends way too much on me. My husband is buying me an eternity band for my birthday next month and he has asked that I do not wear it in front of them. It''s the same with designer handbags and premium denim, etc.

ndpwood

Rough_Rock
MC, I got the ring. I can''t take it off because I love it soo much. I do need to photograph and post it soon! Thanks for asking:)

ndpwood

Rough_Rock
We are lucky to have such wonderful husbands. My husband spoils me too, and I know my MIL rolls her eyes as well. We did buy her a house though, so she is spoiled by us too and has no reason to say anything:)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My friends and I celebrate each others' joys and successes, and not only when we're in good positions, ourselves. We can celebrate one friend's promotion even if another was just laid off. We comfort each other as needed, and we celebrate with each other at every opportunity. That's what good friends do.

I've never understood people who believe others' choices have anything to do with them. I find it rather selfish of someone to take it personally when another person chooses to do *anything* for themselves, especially when it's something like buying a piece of jewelry. Selfish, of overly sensitive.

I'm very glad to have friends who can be happy for me no matter what, and vice versa.

ETA: All that being said, we rarely discuss new jewelry purchases, anyway. But, I would never hesitate to wear new jewelry around others, least of all my friends.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a colored stone gal, so luckily for me most people don't really have a good idea of how much most of those cost. Most people I know probably couldn't ID the gem in my new ring, much less have a price range associated with it.

I wore my tsavorite ring back to the inlaws place this Thanksgiving, and I got compliments but no raised eyebrows since they don't really recognize any gem that can't be found in a mall. They just thought it was very fitting for the Christmas season since it's a pretty green
9.gif

Honestly, the only person I actively brag and gush about jewelery over in real life is my buddy Jstar who I met here on PS! Even if my family and friends were super wealthy, I think they'd get sick of my rambling about colored stone projects. Good thing there is PS and other avid rock lovers who can share my excitement!

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
That''s what I have you guys for.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Talking about jewelry in my social circle is typically like talking about how much money you have - it''s just not right. I literally have two friends who understand my love of jewelery and will not only talk openly, but bring it up. Other than that, talking about jewelry is limited to simple compliments only. That''s why I''m on PS. :) But, regardless of the times, I''d wear what I have. It''s akin to buying a new car and showing up in it - if that''s what you''re driving, then that''s what you bring!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do try to avoid the topic, or at least, I don''t do show-and-tell. Not because if I brought it up, my friends wouldn''t be happy for me, but because I don''t want to rub in the fact that some of them might not be in the position to enjoy luxury items right now.

None of them care about stones the way I do, anyway, so they just roll their eyes
1.gif

ndpwood

Rough_Rock
Haven, my dearest friends are that way! I am thrilled for them with their life victories and vice-versa. I have one friend, however, who lets my victories get in the way of our friendship. I really like her and find it heartbreaking that we cannot be closer because she lets material things (albeit mine) get in the way of that:(

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/29/2009 4:42:38 PM
Author: ndpwood
MC, I got the ring. I can't take it off because I love it soo much. I do need to photograph and post it soon! Thanks for asking:)
if i owned a 5 ct i would bragg about it in front of all my friends.
16.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 9:14:52 PM
Author: ndpwood
Haven, my dearest friends are that way! I am thrilled for them with their life victories and vice-versa. I have one friend, however, who lets my victories get in the way of our friendship. I really like her and find it heartbreaking that we cannot be closer because she lets material things (albeit mine) get in the way of that:(
I''m sorry, but that person doesn''t sound like a friend to me. That''s a shame.

My friends don''t really discuss purchases like jewelry with each other, because that seems akin to talking about money and we just don''t do that. However, if one of us notices a great piece of jewelry on a friend''s hand that we haven''t seen before, we will of course say we love it or comment on how pretty it is. The conversation usually ends there, though.

I''ve only known one person who fixated on others'' material things, we didn''t really hit it off.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results