shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone clean their engagement ring?

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I think jewelry industry failed in educating their customers how important it is to clear your diamond engagement ring every week.
We are getting diamond engagement rings for upgrades and each time we see that the ring was not cleaned for a long time.
The combination of dirt and hand soaps we use covers the pavilions of the diamond, this has two worst effects over a diamond:

1) The light rays are absorbed in the dirt layer and the amount of reflections back are minimized, the diamond loses its brilliance totally!
2) The imperfections that were not seen due to the reflections, become visible, (especially in the VS2 SI grades)see pictures below:

diamond-before-and-after top view.jpg
before-after-ring-side-view.jpg

If you did not clean your ring for a long time it will be impossible to clean it at home with just an old toothbrush and detergents.
You need to use Ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, either step into any jewelry store, they will gladly do it (most of them free of charge), or Buy a Home Jewelry Ultrasonic cleaner, they start at $70!

This will keep your diamond engagement ring fresh and looking new.:saint:

Attachments

• diamond-before-and-after top view.jpg
    diamond-before-and-after top view.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 96
  • before-after-ring-side-view.jpg
    before-after-ring-side-view.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 20

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@david b I think you are preaching to the converted given a search for Ultrasonic on the forums pulls back at least 10 threads on cleaning your diamonds. And I know I’ve read at least a dozen more threads or discussions on the best way to clean your diamonds without using an ultrasonic. Generally as a group, we’re pretty clued up about the importance of a clean pavilion

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@david b I think you are preaching to the converted given a search for Ultrasonic on the forums pulls back at least 10 threads on cleaning your diamonds. And I know I’ve read at least a dozen more threads or discussions on the best way to clean your diamonds without using an ultrasonic. Generally as a group, we’re pretty clued up about the importance of a clean pavilion
Now if only someone would invent a 24/7 magical cleaning technique for step cuts!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Lol yeah really. I think most of us here are (rightfully) obsessed with keeping jewellery as clean as possible. After all clean jewellery is sparkly jewellery.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Now if only someone would invent a 24/7 magical cleaning technique for step cuts!

Yes!! Like those self-cleaning windows that somehow clean themselves when it rains. Oh to just be able to rinse your hand and ring in running water and ta-da!

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s Sunday, so it’s Bubbles for Baubles day. :lol: A nice gentle scrubbing with a soft tooth brush and the ultrasonic.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Step cut lady, here!! I clean them every day or every other day! No way will I risk them looking dull or dark!! I even touch them up with Rubbing Alcohol, after they’re done being scrubbed, soaped & bubbled!
No one in my area has diamonds that sparkle like mine!!! :mrgreen2:
I take them to get professionally cleaned a few times a month! :kiss2:

Last edited:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, EVERY TIME I put on my ring, I clean it first. I use a baby soft toothbrush with dawn dish soap. It's never sat dirty for more than a day. Does this mean it most likely has no build up and I don't NEED an ultrasonic? I scrub the top and under the gallery too.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, EVERY TIME I put on my ring, I clean it first. I use a baby soft toothbrush with dawn dish soap. It's never sat dirty for more than a day. Does this mean it most likely has no build up and I don't NEED an ultrasonic? I scrub the top and under the gallery too.

I think you need an ultrasonic.

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
This is very good! I was reffering to jewelers in General, not only in the PS forums and not only how to but rather why to clean.

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I would look underneeth, it should be clean as the upper part, if not , get yourself an Ultrasonic cleaner

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a pink brown diamond from GOG (search choco-berry finn) bc it's already the color of the dirty diamond in the pic above. I plan for this to be the e-ring I wear when dementia kicks in.

Otherwise, I clean my Invisalign and my diamonds in my ultrasonic daily. My Invisalign are clear and sparkly even after 2 weeks of wear, even though I apparently masticate in my sleep.

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
:lol:
I bought a pink brown diamond from GOG (search choco-berry finn) bc it's already the color of the dirty diamond in the pic above. I plan for this to be the e-ring I wear when dementia kicks in.

Otherwise, I clean my Invisalign and my diamonds in my ultrasonic daily. My Invisalign are clear and sparkly even after 2 weeks of wear, even though I apparently masticate in my sleep.

Best thing I’ve read all weekend!:lol:

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm obsessed with keeping my babies clean. Looking at those dirty photos is like 'nails on a chalkboard'. Eeeeeeek!!!!! :eek2:

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

You just made me snort out my coffee!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My jewelry is probably the cleanest thing in my home. :mrgreen2: I have taken to keeping a small brush sprayed with a spritz of Mr. Clean citrus at my sink, and every time I was my hands (probably 20x a day) I give my diamonds a quick light scrub with that brush to get any soap residue and hard water spots off. This is in addition to regular soakings in warm water & dawn dish soap. Ain't nobody got time for dirty diamonds! :naughty:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I need reminding. I never clean my stuff!

cheers--Sharon

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It would be a very safe bet that , PS members clean their rings with ultrasonic cleaners and the like at a astronomically higher rate than the general population.
I have an US cleaner on each floor and an extra one in the kitchen, for after I have cooked or done dishes.
Ive done it for years though, well before I found PS. And yes I know it is weird so I dont tell most people.

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I clean my ring everyday, sometimes twice a day. Ultrasonic with dawn dish soap

Drives me nuts if I travel for a few days and can’t clean properly!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Me too! (Invisalign) I’m on the retainer. Which my dog ate half of. (FYI) I don’t know if cats like them too.

I have come to the conclusion that some of the collected oils on diamonds is microscopic, molecular level stuff. I think my stone is clean when I sonic it and steam it, but if I soak it overnight first in dawn, the result is noticeable.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too! (Invisalign) I’m on the retainer. Which my dog ate half of. (FYI) I don’t know if cats like them too.

I have come to the conclusion that some of the collected oils on diamonds is microscopic, molecular level stuff. I think my stone is clean when I sonic it and steam it, but if I soak it overnight first in dawn, the result is noticeable.
Cats play hockey with them.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
One time I wound up with a coworker's wedding set for safe keeping overnight. It had the worst layer of gunk and grime in the undercarriage. I wonder if she noticed I returned it to her spic and span after several runs through my ultrasonic. ;)2

srke

Shiny_Rock
I usually clean mine with a good long soak with dishwashing liquid everyday plus a spa session in the ultrasonic once a week.

For the last month though I have been overseas with strict instructions not to bring any of my cleaning supplies with me :(. Wasn;t even allowed to buy any dishwashing liquid or windex once we got to the hotel either so I've had to make do with what I can scrounge up. I can see my ering looking a bit duller every day :'(

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It kills me when I see friends who look like they haven’t cleaned their rings since they got married.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pinto had a typo :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results