shape
carat
color
clarity

Does A wedding ring have to be round? Do you have an unusual shaped wedding ring? Please share!

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I found a ring that I really like and is within the price range for my fiancé.
As we are spending quite a bit of money on my engagement ring (having to have it redesigned and remade in platinum because I'm allergic to the gold it exists in), I want to get something that is within budget and still can look good on my size US 8/UK Q finger.

I have not got small hands, and so need to have a medium/large size ring for it to look good in terms of scale. I'm not keen on having a simple round wedding ring with a dusting of diamond chips, it really doesn't really do it for me.

All of the bands We've looked at within our budget are tiny (2 - 2.5mm), and make my hands feel enormous!

However, I have found a ring that I really like in a local store. , and it ticks all the boxes:

- it's a lovely design - as a crossover, it a bit similar in design style to my e-ring
- the setting is beautiful, substantial (no holes behind the diamonds, solid platinum) and in millgrain, which I love
- 950 platinum 5.6g
- 10 some very pretty good grade diamonds (VS1 clarity, H colour) 0.40 total weight
- it is pre-owned, but in excellent condition. I don't have a problem with that, because we would prefer not to contribute to the environmental impact of mining new diamonds.

However, is not a continuous round ring.

I am feeling a bit under pressure with regards to the shape of a wedding ring. I showed these images of the ring to a good friend of mine (see below). She thought the ring was lovely, but said shouldn't wedding rings be a continuous circle, to show a continual connection between the husband-and-wife. Which spun me out into the space of wedding ring doubt!

My partner and I are not traditionalists in any sense of the word. We are both designers ( I have a fine art background and create fashion, he has a digital graphic design background). we are both drawn to good design over convention, so conventional traditions don't really play into our relationship. But I've never been married before... so am unaware of the Emotions behind the traditions. for example, our parents looking at our ring and thinking our marriage is doomed!

I've posted an image of my engagement ring to show the ring I will be wearing, but not on the same hand. My plan is once we are married, to wear my engagement ring on the right hand, and my wedding band on the left. But knowing me, I'll probably switch things up a bit!

What are your thoughts on this matter? Do you have any thoughts around someone not having a traditional circular wedding band?
Thanks so much!

OEC Engagement ring (swoon - Five more weeks before I receive it back from its update)

IMG_1589.jpg fullsizeoutput_499b.jpeg

Ring considering as a wedding ring...
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
I think it's nice how it echoes the "swirl" motif of your engagement ring and if you are wearing it on separate hands, why not? No need for it to be round!

Aww, thank you! I really like the motif too.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think wedding rings need to be round. It only matters that you love it!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love it! What’s important is that it’s meaningful to you. My husband and I have rolling trinity bands for our wedding bands. I normally have a philosophical reason for everything, and I don’t even for these. We just like them and they aren’t boring (we play with them all the time). We wanted something somewhat unique because it’s our love and it’s special to us.

There is a lot of symbolism about spirals as a higher order of circles because the spiral adds another dimension of growth and evolution. It’s evocative of your unknown future and all that you hope to build in your life together.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! May you both be richly blessed!

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
I love it! What’s important is that it’s meaningful to you. My husband and I have rolling trinity bands for our wedding bands. I normally have a philosophical reason for everything, and I don’t even for these. We just like them and they aren’t boring (we play with them all the time). We wanted something somewhat unique because it’s our love and it’s special to us.

There is a lot of symbolism about spirals as a higher order of circles because the spiral adds another dimension of growth and evolution. It’s evocative of your unknown future and all that you hope to build in your life together.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! May you both be richly blessed!

Hi there, I think you've hit the nail on the head - its meaningful for us. I also love the 3D visual description for the spiral, it appeals to the artist in me, and the ring also symbolises to me two independent entities (the front of the ring)t who are still joined and committed together (the back of the ring). We are both very different people, literally chalk & cheese! Yet we've been together for 10 years, so something works: I believe a big part of it has been maintaining our independence in the relationship.

I love the story behind the Moi et Toi /crossover ring, which is more appealing now I have the spiral meaning into the mix.

And Like you, I love a story behind an object, just dislike the constraints of tradition, when they do not serve a purpose other than maintaining status quo or is aesthetically displeasing to to the eye.

thanks for the encouragement!

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
I don’t think wedding rings need to be round. It only matters that you love it!
Thanks! Well, I've been obsessing over it for several days... and believe its the one! I'm glad the round issue is now put to bed.

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
Both are so pretty but that engagement ring is amazing! Lucky lady

Thank you! we were very lucky with the e-ring, as I had no idea what an OEC diamond was until a few weeks ago, and fell quickly in love.
Its taken 1 1/2 years for us to find the right e-ring, having had a few hickups on the way (bad jeweller experience, and discovering my gold allergy! )

And considering I'm in London, England, there are very few good OECs here. My e-ring his was actually owned by a French lady who brought it here, and kept it hidden under her floorboards for many years - until her daughter found it amongst pairs of Boucheron diamond-encrusted earrings (£35,000), 5ct aquamarine rings, and diamond jewellery that was all 'price on request!

So I am feeling very lucky indeed!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I :love: that band

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
It is stunning! Looks amazing on your finger, and the band looks like a single Helix - the double version of which is DNA! You could always reply, to those who are new to the idea of unusual wedding rings, that it is the oldest shape in existence, much more eternal than a circle.... ?

Anyway, wishing so much love and happiness for you! Can’t wait to see the final ring!

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
It is stunning! Looks amazing on your finger, and the band looks like a single Helix - the double version of which is DNA! You could always reply, to those who are new to the idea of unusual wedding rings, that it is the oldest shape in existence, much more eternal than a circle.... ?

Anyway, wishing so much love and happiness for you! Can’t wait to see the final ring!

Very profound! I really love that helix being the oldest shape in existence! Can’t wait to share that with my Fiancé: Science is his God!
I love your perception, and I certainly Love that both my rings have significance that goes beyond conventional tradition , which suits me just fine.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Do you think the two rings could spiral together on your finger? They might interlock, but only of the jeweller knows of that idea and it would only work if the center stone is repositioned. Never mind it’s a silly idea, I’ve just had way too much coffee this morning. :geek2::geek2::geek2:

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! we were very lucky with the e-ring, as I had no idea what an OEC diamond was until a few weeks ago, and fell quickly in love.
Its taken 1 1/2 years for us to find the right e-ring, having had a few hickups on the way (bad jeweller experience, and discovering my gold allergy! )

And considering I'm in London, England, there are very few good OECs here. My e-ring his was actually owned by a French lady who brought it here, and kept it hidden under her floorboards for many years - until her daughter found it amongst pairs of Boucheron diamond-encrusted earrings (£35,000), 5ct aquamarine rings, and diamond jewellery that was all 'price on request!

So I am feeling very lucky indeed!
What a story!
I am so happy it was found and you got it instead of it sitting under floorboards forever.
Your ring is one of my new favorites:kiss2:

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
What a story!
I am so happy it was found and you got it instead of it sitting under floorboards forever.
Your ring is one of my new favorites:kiss2:

So happy you’ve found a new love :appl:

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
Do you think the two rings could spiral together on your finger? They might interlock, but only of the jeweller knows of that idea and it would only work if the center stone is repositioned. Never mind it’s a silly idea, I’ve just had way too much coffee this morning. :geek2::geek2::geek2:

You design you!

Because the OEC diamonds are quite warm and behaved quite differently to modern brilliant ones, I think I’m going to keep them a separate rings one separate to each other.

The OEC ring has real art deco crossover feel, as well as a 50s cluster look which I quite like.

We were thinking of redesigning the ring using the OEC diamonds, but I really want to the shape and how unusual it is. And as they say, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. So we are doing some minor adjustments i.e. aligning the stones and refine the setting.

Now I’m really pleased to have another unusual ring- just paid for it today!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Here's a story: I wore a ring not unlike yours as an 'I am married if you have to ask' - decoy. It worked - random strangers took it for a wedding band; one or two questions over some years. The ring failed - one of the open ends got yanked accidentally, so the design has this issue.

2c

Last edited:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
'I am married if you have to ask' - decoy.
We should start a thread on decoy wedding rings - when i was training as a Tour Manager, my instructors advised female professionals to put a wedding band in their pocket and if (when) the need arose, to slip it on and wear. Something about cultural differences...

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
871D5ACA-5EDB-4607-930F-96F72A978DDB.jpeg
Here's a story: I wore a ring not unlike yours as an 'I am married if you have to ask' - decoy. It worked - random strangers took it for a wedding band; one or two questions over some years. The ring failed - one of the open ends got yanked accidentally, so the design has this issue.

2c

Hey, thank you. I like the clever decoy ring idea!

Regarding the putting onto things issue - it’s good to know. I will have it insured,, especially as it’s in platinum so might be a bit softer than other metals. However, I’ve got a ring and I’ve worn for over 20 years that is a crown (See below with Jethro my blue Burmese boy!). it seldom hooks onto things. But I will be careful!! FBAB1705-944E-475A-8BE2-787F38B7C4EA.jpeg

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
We should start a thread on decoy wedding rings - when i was training as a Tour Manager, my instructors advised female professionals to put a wedding band in their pocket and if (when) the need arose, to slip it on and wear. Something about cultural differences...

Hahahahahhah
All my single ladies, all my single ladies- put your hand up!!!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely love this ring & the ideas of spirals & helix! Far more interesting than a plain round band!

I say wear whatever makes your heart sing. And your engagement ring is knock out beautiful! I am also in the UK & last year we sadly lost an older resident in our tiny village. All they found under her floorboards was rot :lol-2:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@InsecureSweetGirl @CloverBuddha Culture indeed... I have since moved countries, no more ring. In New Country there seems to be quite some hunt after - engaged women - since the fallen naturally defect from the random liaisons, or so I am told by someone who knows.

Dam' if you do - dam' if don't.

You tell me...

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
:devil:
I absolutely love this ring & the ideas of spirals & helix! Far more interesting than a plain round band!

I say wear whatever makes your heart sing. And your engagement ring is knock out beautiful! I am also in the UK & last year we sadly lost an older resident in our tiny village. All they found under her floorboards was rot :lol-2:

You’re terrible !! Hahahahahhah
:lol:

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the ring love everyone! I’m feeling it too.

I love how this unusual wedding ring is causing such a wealth of interesting info and stories!

It arrives Monday and then off to be resized. I will post a photo of it before she goes off.

Feeling lucky :)

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
@InsecureSweetGirl @CloverBuddha Culture indeed... I have since moved countries, no more ring. In New Country there seems to be quite some hunt after - engaged women - since the fallen naturally defect from the random liaisons, or so I am told by someone who knows.

Dam' if you do - dam' if don't.

You tell me...
Yikes! :-o

Reactions: AV_

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I love the ring! You don’t have a conventional ering, so why have a conventional wedding ring? The most important thing is that you can see yourself wearing it everyday!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both rings are beautiful. How do you plan to wear them?

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
Both rings are beautiful. How do you plan to wear them?

Thank you :)

My e-ring will be work in my left hand until I’m in married ( still have another year, can’t wait!)
. Then I’ll swap it over to be my right-hand ring. I’m left-handed anyway, and as the OEC diamonds are quite precious and the ring is in platinum, it’s probably best I wear it on my non-dominant hand to protect it more.

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
I love the ring! You don’t have a conventional ering, so why have a conventional wedding ring? The most important thing is that you can see yourself wearing it everyday!

I like your style! Thank you.

The wedding band is arriving tomorrow so I’ll let you all know what it looks like. Fingers crossed!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results