shape
carat
color
clarity

Does "a deal" mean getting "a lot" regardless of quality?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You know how sometimes two things you see can synthesize? For me, it was a brilliant observation by Haven in a recent thread (can't remember which one or I would link - was it Wink's "Mad About Paper?") about how for Americans, it seems like getting a "deal" was more important than anything else, be it getting a "quality" piece, or even necessarily knowing what you were getting: when you compare this to the "quantity vs. quality" debate that you see over and over and over again, it explains a lot about the current trends, since it's pretty unusual to get a deal on a benchmark piece ... my own feeling about colorless stones aside, you don't see a lot of firesale prices on D IF stones.

And in other news, on Feministe (feminist blog), there was a recent thread about the soda ban where somebody patiently explained that it wasn't necessarily that people even WANTED 32 ounces of soda at a time: it's just that if you are charging almost as much for 16 ounces, most consumers will feel like it's a no-brainer to get more bang for their buck ... even when the "bang" in question is actually a big sugary unhealthy thing that you should be having less and not more of.

Hmmmmmmmm.

In the space between those two observations, I feel like there's a significant point being made about latter-day social values.

I know this applies to me to a certain extent: originally when I got my anniversary ring, I'd been angling for maybe a two carat stone. When I found a two and a half, I JUMPED. And happily, it fit the bill in terms of everything else I'd been looking for ... but frankly, I know me, and if instead of being a high-clarity, low-color transitional cut round with fluorescence it had been a blue-white marquise, or a golden-glowing cushion, or what-have-you, if it was a) enough of a deal, and, b) big enough, I would have been tempted. It's those two qualities, value and size, with size being non-negotiable, that mattered most to me.

Now, for me, "value" equals quality ... the things I leave out of the equation are condition (I will take a battered to hell piece of vintage Buccellati over a brand new shiny chain-store thing) with a certain flexibility concerning actual preference. You know Mrs. Salvo's thing about how a deal is only a deal if you're getting exactly what you want? Well ... I want a lot of things. So I'm like the anti-Mrs. Salvo - deals come and deals go, but it's worth paying full price if I'm feeling really persnickity ... which is, I suppose, what Mrs. S has been saying all along, with the exception that she actually passes up on the "deals" along the way like a clever minimalist, and I hoard like a crazed magpie.

But - where was I? tangent! - I think for a lot of people, the proportions are even more skewed, and the "deal" outweighs almost anything else ... quality, beauty, desirability ... anything except size, as per soda serving-size and in fact, our general super-size society.

When did quantity become the biggest marker of value? Did it, or am I just sleep-deprived and rambling? TALK TO ME, peoples!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Re: Does "a deal" mean getting "a lot" regardless of quality

DH and I were having a similar discussion the other day with respect to food in the US. It's all about "more bang for your buck" when it comes to eating out these days, and the "more bang" comes from "more food" not "better quality." I use to be one of those people who thought it wasn't worth it to spend $15 on an entree unless the portion was huge and I could take half home. Now I spend $20 on an entree that's the perfect size for one meal and it's quality is FAR SUPERIOR to that $15 hunk of crapola I was eating (twice!) before. And you know what...the $20 meal is the WAY BETTER DEAL.

I don't know if it started with the restaurant industry...of if it's just entrenched itself there...but I think in much of the US, "a deal" DEFINITELY means "a lot!"

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

re food: many that are the first born of those that lived through the Great Depression have values and were taught that one cannot trust that something will be there for you later. we horde and buy accordingly. in these economic times [depression/recession, your pick] it can be much the same thing. i agree its not so much that anyone wants 32 oz soda but marketing was effective and if you have a family, it could be a better deal.

re goods: one of my lessons was that if its not what i really want, its not a deal. again, having parents that came through the depression and myself growing up working class poor had me settling for less. took some time to realize that its not a deal if its not what i want and that i do not have to settle for less.

before one gets to down on the citizens of the US [and i can do that myself], remember economics plays a big part of this. i remember as an adult someone asking me if when i was a kid didn't i get my shoes at Macy's. no, i was never even in the store until i was in my 20's. i was lucky to have more than one pair of shoes [a pair for school and a dress pair] and they came from Karl's.

i also think that marketing for "things" and the idea that one with the most "things" is the most successful has infliltrated our society. again, perhaps a reaction to the Great Depression when one just did not have food much less things. these types of economic stress have long term and reverberating affects.

i no longer have to settle for less just because its a "deal/bargain". but it was a learning lesson. i live in a very different economic class now but i still retain frugal ways.......not a bad thing. but its a balance of quality and price point for me with all things.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Zoe - I know what you mean! With food, I still have a holdover from having been broke for so long where I still carry things home like a rat to gnaw on the next day. But I think we're unusual in that - for many people, it seems to equate to eating way more than you want on the spot. I don't know how to explain that, though I'd be really interested in seeing a gender breakdown. For some reason, I feel like woman are likelier to do the doggie bag than men are - even when we should all be going for the quality comestibles!

MoZo - Oh, not to down Americans - I am one! - but I'm being specific because, well, it's what I know. I feel like it IS more universal, though - despite all the "French women only have 5 things in their closet, but they're all CHANEL" hype, I feel like this attitude is going global. And diamonds seem like as good a tracker of it as anything else ....

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I don't know if it's going global, but there are more adverts in Scotland for things being on sale etc than there were even a couple of years ago. The concept of a deal in the American sense isn't one that's really known here (I had never heard the term before PS) although maybe it's the same thing we would refer to as a bargain. Not sure if the terms are completely interchangeable, although the concepts are probably similar. In Scotland, we are, to use a stereotype, notoriously mean. ;)) Interestingly, I don't think that results in us looking for bargains, or deals, if you prefer. It just stops us buying the thing all together. Obviously it is changing a bit, and online research / shopping is probably doing a lot to change it, but it isn't as significant here (yet). It isn't something that factors into my buying decision process, I must admit. My father always drilled into me that if you have to look for a reduced price, you can't afford the item. Now, I know that goes against the whole idea of looking for a deal, and it comes from a different cultural mindset entirely, but I can't quite shake it off. I don't want to pay over the odds for something, but I'm interested in paying a fair price, and don't need to feel like I got it for the absolute lowest possible price.

I'm curious now about how much that is just my personality, how much is related to upbringing, and how much is cultural. My cousin is horrified by the way I shop - she's a New Yorker, and swears she never paid full price for anything yet. I believe her, she's awesome. :))

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi,

I think a deal is a deal when you can equate value to cost, not quantity. When a woman is in the process of making a decision on buying a Louis Viutton bag I don't think she says I can buy 20 other bags if I don't buy the Viutton.(maybe 2 or 3) The LV is quality-is handmade with the finest leathers, and of course is limited in quantity. She just compares the cost of one to the other. The same in diamonds, its just what things matter less to you. Why wouldn't you buy a 2.50 ring if the cost was less per carat with the same specks as the 2 ct. If the specks were not the same you just decide if size is the most important. Many woman do decide on size in diamonds.

On occasion I will decide to buy more of something if I can use the product. I found an Ebay vendor who was selling paintings done by his father, who painted for a living all his life. Henry Kissinger owned one, President Carter owned one, and the list went on and on.
I bid on one and won. It was great-oil on canvas- 18x24 for 200.00. I went back to the son and asked him to let me do some buy it nows. I bought 5 different ones and I don't have any nicer paintings than these. His prices went up so much I probably wouldn't buy any now. I did get caught up in the deAL. tHE LAST PAINTING i PD 450.00 . It was worth it.

Food is anothr story. Immigrants came here to the world of plenty. it was cheaper here than any where in the world. We had big portions at home. My mother thought she was able to give her family the best. Restaurants did offer large portions as well to entice people to come. I don't think its that way now. Panera bread doesn't give large portions. Buffets of course do.

Hunting for a deal is an American pasttime. I think people hve fun doing it. But I don't see quantity as the main objective. What you get for the dollar, be it great quality or something less is the objective.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock

I buy what I love, period.

Deal or not. I do not buy the huge pop, even if it's cheaper because my small hands can't hold it! I won't pay for something I can't see(D, E VVSI, IF, etc.). Diamonds for me have to be white, sparkly and eye clean....that's it, doesn't matter to me what piece of paper says, I use my judgment and my own eyes.

I don't buy an extra value meal at McDonalds or anywhere else because I don't eat the fries. Even if it was cheaper or the fries were "free". I don't buy anything for the "name". If I love the style of something, I might even buy a knockoff. I buy a lot of vintage for the quality and it's beauty but that means vintage furniture that costs LESS than new furniture.

A bargain is only a bargain if you love it. Something is only worth what you are willing to pay and might not be worth that to someone else.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

I do believe that a deal means getting "a lot" to many people. Not all people, of course, and considering we are all on PS, I imagine that as an audience, we're a bit skewed the other way.

I see examples of this all the time. We took my FIL and his companion to Vegas in January. I spent a lot of time researching great steak restaurants (they're steak and potatoes people,) and secured reservations at top-notch restaurants for every night. Well, our first night there FIL wanted to take US out as a thank you for the trip, which was lovely. He took us to a show on Fremont Street, and as we were driving to the show we saw a billboard for $9.99 steak and lobster dinner at a place called Tony Roma's. He was ecstatic! He could not wait to go there. DH and I didn't want to go there, but we couldn't stamp out the glint in my FIL's eye. We went. It was horrible. Leather "steak" and rubber "lobster", I couldn't eat mine but DH did a good job of siphoning bits off my plate when they weren't looking. We went to some of the most amazing restaurants after that the rest of the trip, and you know what my FIL still talks about to this day? That $9.99 steak and lobster dinner.

I see this so often with food in general. Buffets thrive while really high quality places go out of business.

And what about places like Costco and Sam's Club, or other warehouse stores where people can stock up on huge amounts of items? I know everyone is going to say they only buy what they need, but I see what they sell there, ALL of those things are not high quantity needs. My father once came home from Sam's Club with a lifetime supply of Worcestershire sauce. I mean, we could have supplied the entire Midwest with Worcestershire sauce for decades. And another time he came home with hundreds of Cadbury Cream Eggs. He was so proud of those purchases, because they were "great deals."

Actually, just *looking* around at Americans today, I can't believe that anyone could argue that we don't value quantity over quality. Look at the size of everything about our lives--our homes, our cars, our work schedules, our bodies! I'm often tempted to ask women around here if they're in the military, because they are driving some gigantic vehicles around these rocky suburban streets.

(One of my father's favorite things to do used to be to walk around the McMansions while they were being built and laugh at how flimsy the construction was. He loved it.)

If we valued quality over quantity, it would show in the product that is available and thriving in our country. Take a look at what the advertising execs are marketing, and which restaurants are on every corner. These are the things that people buy, that people value.

mogster

Shiny_Rock

A deal should have everything to do with value and practicality and nothing to do with quantity. I see my mother purchase things that have expiration dates from Costco in bulk quantities because they're less $$ per UOM, and she doesn't see that it's not a deal if you don't end up using all of them before they expire.

ETA: Since being given buying duties at work, I've become more conscious of what value is. For example, spending an hour to save a few dollars is not a good value. I do not pay twenty cents extra to get twice as much soda because I know I will not drink it all and then will have wasted twenty cents. SO recently purchased a print that could resell for 10x (he paid very little for it). I wouldn't have been OK with the purchase if he didn't like it or if we weren't planning specifically to resell it. I wouldn't have purchased it just because the price was undervalued.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

mogster|1339090624|3211274 said:
A deal should have everything to do with value and practicality and nothing to do with quantity. I see my mother purchase things that have expiration dates from Costco in bulk quantities because they're less $$ per UOM, and she doesn't see that it's not a deal if you don't end up using all of them before they expire.

OMG - had a very similar discussion with a friend some years back when cell phone plans were offering added night/weekend minutes hoping to move people from outdated plan offerings. "Mary" said she was going to move from our Single Rate Northeast plan (which had no roaming anywhere in the 16 or so covered states) to the more current plan because they would raise her night/weekend minutes from 3000 to 4000. She was puzzled why I said she wasn't really getting anything extra......'but i'm getting 1,000 more minutes!".

I said 'yes, but you can't possibly use them. At your current 3,000 night/weekend minutes, that equals 50 hours of talk time, or 12.5 hours per week, and 90% of your friends don't even count against that since they're with the same carrier you are." I pointed her to her bills and showed her that she was averaging 300 min. of night/weekend talk over six months, so no way would she get benefit from the extra 1,000 minutes and she was giving up the no-roaming commitment.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

The definition of "deal" varies with each individual, I think. For me, a deal is a few things.

It's getting a reasonable or better-than-expected price on a purchase I was going to make anyway.

It's getting a price-break on something I commonly use that isn't perishable (buy one, get one free on my favorite shampoo, for example). It's not buy-one, get-one-free on the house brand of mac and cheese that I'd never otherwise purchase.

For me, It doesn't mean accepting something of lesser quality than I prefer just to get a more attractive price. I'd rather pay (reasonably) more and get the thing I really like/want.

Re; the larger soda concept for $.20 more......I'm torn on that. The quality doesn't suffer (same soda); it's just the quantity increase (say 20 for $1.25 oz instead of 16 oz. for $1.00). I kinda see the added 25 cents as insurance that if I suspect I may want more than the initial 16-oz serving, I won't have to buy another entire 16-oz can (that I'm even less likely to finish than the extra 4 oz in the 20-oz bottle) for another $1.00.

While I may not drink all the added soda, I don't really have to - I only have to think that I might drink a bit more than the next smaller size to warrant it. And I'd rather be wrong for 25-cents than for $1. :)

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

Yes, value equals quality. I agree.

When I was growing up, alarm clocks, fans, washing machines, things like that were made in the US and lasted 20 years. Now they're made in China and you're lucky if you can last a day without having to return them after they break.

But we saved $.15 on Pringles the last time we went to Wal-Mart! :rolleyes:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very interesting viewpoints. I would hazard a guess that most Canadians tend to pay more for quality rather than quantity. We're not accustomed to super-size everything like you find in the US. Doesn't mean there aren't people who hoard things or go cross-border shopping even when it doesn't make fiscal sense.

I would rather pay more for exactly what I want, than shop endlessly for a deal. That means I miss out on deals pretty much all the time. I buy things on sale if possible, and I will research and try to find a deal, but in the end I'll pay full price just to get the right something. Or I won't buy that item at all and decide my life will go on merrily without it. ;)) At our stage in life, we're more willing to buy the best of something if possible, simply because we think it will last for the rest of our lives.

As for jewellery, for me it has an expiration date. I don't want to have nice rings on old lady hands. That's my personal thing. I'll give away everything I have while I'm still alive and end up just wearing a gold band at some point. I'm not at the old lady hands point yet though, and have no real idea when that will be either. But my hands have a shelf life for sure. I think I'll be into necklaces longer. Earrings not so much, and maybe a nice watch because I'm so used to having one. Everything else will go! :praise:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Timely for me! At our GTG today, Demelza and I were walking down the street and discussing jewelery and I stated emphatically, " Getting a deal matters to me more than ANYTHING!" :lol:

Of course, I meant getting a deal on *exactly what I want*, which means a high quality diamond (or whatever).

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D|1339130084|3211620 said:
Timely for me! At our GTG today, Demelza and I were walking down the street and discussing jewelery and I stated emphatically, " Getting a deal matters to me more than ANYTHING!" :lol:

Of course, I meant getting a deal on *exactly what I want*, which means a high quality diamond (or whatever).
I think of "deals" the same way--that I got exactly what I wanted.

I really don't think this is how most people view things, especially when we're talking about acquiring new stuff. I really believe a lot of people like to think they got "a steal," and that gives them more satisfaction than the item itself. Of course, one way isn't better than another. And my definition of quality may not match someone else's.

My grandparents are junk sellers, I mean, antique dealers. They sell J-U-N-K junk! But they sell it cheap, and man oh man do people LOVE haggling those prices down on that junk. I haven't spent much time with them as an adult, but I spent a couple years of my childhood in flea markets and antique bazaars, and holy cow is it a sight to see.

Just last weekend DH's uncle was all over me about our choice to travel independently in other countries. He kept saying, "If you'd just take a cruise you could get an amazing deal! All of your food is included, the room, too. You probably pay twice as much for your vacations and you have to do all the planning for yourself." His definition of a deal seems to be fewer dollars spent and more food ingested. Mine is different.

I'll admit I've never been a bargain hunter myself, anyway. I like things the way I like them, and I'm willing to save up to pay for them exactly that way. And I don't like extra stuff, so I abhor buying things in large quantities. I think this is the result of growing up with very messy, borderline hoarders, though.

My husband is a strange case--he's extremely particular about the things he buys, (the man agonized over a pair of $60 leather sandals because there was a darker spot on one of them. Should he return them? Will they just wear like this, anyway? Is this normal wear? Can I see it now? Has it gotten worse? OY!) While he's not into bargain-hunting, he LOVES returning stuff. I keep telling him he's going to get blacklisted from stores one day. I know I'd blacklist him. He'll spend months researching some product, buy it, and then return it a week later and start over. (Where is the emoticon with steam pushing out of the ears?)

Sometimes I think some people get a sort of high from the shopping experience, and that is exaggerated when they score what they perceive to be a great deal. I'm the opposite, I hate the shopping part, but I love living with beautiful things that I get from shopping.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

I care more about quality than quantity. If there is an amount off the quality item I'm buying anyway, that is a good deal for me. To get more than what I need, does not represent a better deal to me. MY DH brings home these huge bottles of mouthwash. They don't fit in my vanity. If have learned to keep smaller bottles on hand so I can fill them from the giant size bottles. If I shop for the same thing, I'll buy smaller. I purposely by food in smaller packaging in order to help with portion control.

I could buy larger pieces of jewelry, but I am very fussy about what I want, in terms of quality. I have learned, over the years, that buying a compromise gets stuck in the jewelry box and rarely, if ever, worn.

Therefore, a deal is getting what I want at a good price. If I can't reach my price point, I'll find a way to get there--sooner or later!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

lyra|1339118526|3211520 said:
I would rather pay more for exactly what I want, than shop endlessly for a deal. That means I miss out on deals pretty much all the time. I buy things on sale if possible, and I will research and try to find a deal, but in the end I'll pay full price just to get the right something. Or I won't buy that item at all and decide my life will go on merrily without it. ;)) At our stage in life, we're more willing to buy the best of something if possible, simply because we think it will last for the rest of our lives.

That's how I feel too, for the most part. I love a good bargain but I don't have the patience to search endlessly for a special coupon code online to save a few bucks. If I can find out when something's going on sale and then wait til then to buy it, that's what I try to do. If it's something I want NOW, then I'll just pay full price and be done with it.

iLander

Ideal_Rock

I don't think it's a deal to save $1 on a $10 item. I'm into saving bucks on high-end luxury stuff. Genuine Vuitton for half price, used but excellent. I could buy dozens of cheaper purses for the same money, but what's the point? I can only carry one purse at a time.

I eat at fancy restaurants during restaurant week; so top quality, bargain price. We rarely eat out, because so much of it is so bad.

I do buy a lot at Costco, and for some reason, we three manage to eat it all. :confused: I do freeze a lot of stuff, including breads (they turn out fine) so that makes a difference. But we do manage to go throw all the fruit (I buy one fruit every two weeks, only at peak season. So we have two weeks of strawberries, two weeks of bananas, whatever), meat (freezer), milk (organic so it lasts), butter (oh, lord I use too much butter!), etc., etc.

I have stopped growing :bigsmile: , and so my clothes do not need to change. I'll buy a $300 Anne Klein shirt, marked down to $100. But I will not buy 4 $25 shirts at Target, because I don't need 4 new shirts. One good one will suffice.

I don't think quantity equals a deal. I DO think a discount on high-end stuff is a deal. :naughty:

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

Speaking of getting a deal, I've noticed something that I do quite often. I'll be looking for something, in this case it's Pedoodles Island Hoopers sandals for my 2year old. They are $37 retail. He'll wear them for one season, the way his feet grow. But that means something like 6 months in CA, probably every other day. So paying the $37 isn't a bad 'ROI'. But I want them cheaper. I paid $19 for the last pair on a daily deal special. So I will scour the internet until I find them for cheaper. $19 would be great but I'd probably even pay $25...hey it's still cheaper than $37. In the end I will take about 2-3 weeks of forgetting I want them, remembering to look for them, spending a total of 3-5 hours online looking for them. I may or may not find a deal on them. In the end I pay $19, $25 or $37. But I spend WAY more money (estimated in time) looking for them, waiting on finding the deal etc. Sometimes in the end I just pay retail.

I do this ALLLLLLL the time. It's almost comical...because I know it! But I can't just pull the trigger on retail without feeling like I've exhausted EVERY option. So weird.

Speaking of... off to do one more search for Island Hoppers, then just going to freaking buy them retail!!! My kid loves these sandals.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Mara|1339216927|3212355 said:
Speaking of getting a deal, I've noticed something that I do quite often. I'll be looking for something, in this case it's Pedoodles Island Hoopers sandals for my 2year old. They are $37 retail. He'll wear them for one season, the way his feet grow. But that means something like 6 months in CA, probably every other day. So paying the $37 isn't a bad 'ROI'. But I want them cheaper. I paid $19 for the last pair on a daily deal special. So I will scour the internet until I find them for cheaper. $19 would be great but I'd probably even pay $25...hey it's still cheaper than $37. In the end I will take about 2-3 weeks of forgetting I want them, remembering to look for them, spending a total of 3-5 hours online looking for them. I may or may not find a deal on them. In the end I pay $19, $25 or $37. But I spend WAY more money (estimated in time) looking for them, waiting on finding the deal etc. Sometimes in the end I just pay retail.

I do this ALLLLLLL the time. It's almost comical...because I know it! But I can't just pull the trigger on retail without feeling like I've exhausted EVERY option. So weird.

Speaking of... off to do one more search for Island Hoppers, then just going to freaking buy them retail!!! My kid loves these sandals.

I do the same thing; I think the reason I do that is because I use to work in Retail.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

Skippy|1339245349|3212422 said:

I do the same thing; I think the reason I do that is because I use to work in Retail.

Ha ME TOO! I used to get such a great discount (40%!) on really nice brands that I find it almost impossible to pay full price.

BUT this thread actually made me do it yesterday! There's a PERFECT Rag & Bone jean jacket I've been eyeing and it keeps being sold out in my size, so I finally found it in my size and pulled the trigger yesterday. AT FULL PRICE. It hurt a little, but I think once I have it (assuming it fits) I'll get over it.

I tend to keep and wear my nicer items for years, so it really makes it worth it. My favorite jacket is a Mike & Chris leather jacket I spent way too much money on about 7 years ago, maybe more, and I wear it constantly.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

thing2of2|1339248188|3212439 said:
Skippy|1339245349|3212422 said:

Ha ME TOO! I used to get such a great discount (40%!) on really nice brands that I find it almost impossible to pay full price.

BUT this thread actually made me do it yesterday! There's a PERFECT Rag & Bone jean jacket I've been eyeing and it keeps being sold out in my size, so I finally found it in my size and pulled the trigger yesterday. AT FULL PRICE. It hurt a little, but I think once I have it (assuming it fits) I'll get over it.

I tend to keep and wear my nicer items for years, so it really makes it worth it. My favorite jacket is a Mike & Chris leather jacket I spent way too much money on about 7 years ago, maybe more, and I wear it constantly.

woohoo for a great jacket. I bet it looks fab on you!!! I do the same in regards to keeping nicer items for year and taking care of them; it is worth it!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

It can never be that way for me--as I am a label and brand hound. I never get "a lot"...and if I am lucky enough to get exactly what I want, on sale, then great. In buying brands it is like starting out in a hole--if it is a brand that goes on sale, by the time it reaches a "reasonable" level (or what "I" think is "affordable"), then it becomes a deal, but mutually exclusive from getting "a lot".

I am absolutely certain this did not make sense.... :bigsmile: :wacko:

cheers--Sharon

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

canuk-gal|1339262538|3212591 said:
HI:

It can never be that way for me--as I am a label and brand hound. I never get "a lot"...and if I am lucky enough to get exactly what I want, on sale, then great. In buying brands it is like starting out in a hole--if it is a brand that goes on sale, by the time it reaches a "reasonable" level (or what "I" think is "affordable"), then it becomes a deal, but mutually exclusive from getting "a lot".

cheers--Sharon

My fave is getting label/brand stuff for cheap! I hate paying full price for anything BUT if it's a limited edition or I know it won't last or if I find something it won't come around again (like on eBay with some prev season stuff), I'll pay more than retail sometimes.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi,

My best deals come when I am not looking for them. I think most of us have an unwritten list of things we would like to have if ....
. That is why I just like to go to look at flea markets, garage sales, pre-loved section, etc. I have always admired hand blown art glass, but thought it was too pricey for me. A real indulgence. Last week I went up to TJM to get some inexpensive large colored glass vases to put in my garden and came cross a large hand blown Murano vase. I walked up and down and around it for several minutes. You would think Iwas purchasing a fine gem. Big decision. I bought it for 40.00. The nexr day I looked on ebay and it was on there for 299.00. Must be a close out somewhere. Unexpected pleasure. Definitely, a deal for me.

Annette

Ps. One other thing I have noticed. We all like to talk about our deals. See, American pasttime.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love deals...but only for high quality, definitely not quantity! You all probably know that I have VS1 clarity in my diamond just because I like it, but my newest stone was a "deal" because it has SBF, which I love! My wedding bands are from Tiffany and Memoire because they had exactly what I wanted and I wouldn't have been happy settling for less. So I pay full price when I can't get the item exactly like I want elsewhere.

But, I have found some great deals, too, like...
* a Van Crayenest band from ebay that would likely be $3000 new for $500 in my size, no less!
*Beaudry ring 60% off at Pearlmans
*platinum WF dby necklace half of retail price on pre-loved
*5 stone diamond band in platinum at about 1/3 what it is worth
*new Tiffany diamond cross second hand,
and a few other things!

I never pay retail on clothes because dept stores always have sales or coupons. But because I have narrow feet, I do almost always have to pay full retail for shoes.

I buy high quality meats from a delivery service and then balance that out by buying staple items at Walmart! :lol:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1339275956|3212751 said:
I buy high quality meats from a delivery service and then balance that out by buying staple items at Walmart! :lol:
We do this! Well, we don't have a Walmart nearby, but we buy high quality meat and produce, but we go to a very affordable grocer for other things. Balances out!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mara|1339265720|3212637 said:
canuk-gal|1339262538|3212591 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

My fave is getting label/brand stuff for cheap! I hate paying full price for anything BUT if it's a limited edition or I know it won't last or if I find something it won't come around again (like on eBay with some prev season stuff), I'll pay more than retail sometimes.

HI:

Nuthin more satisfying than getting the good loot for cheap--stuff of fist pumps and endless satisfaction.....then you can gloat about for ages.... mrgreen:

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results