shape
carat
color
clarity

Do Zircons Have Indented Naturals?

plummiecat

Shiny_Rock
I just purchased a ring with a beautiful Cambodian peach-brown zircon. I noticed under the loupe that there is a small chip along a facet junction. I know zircons can chip, but I’m wondering if I’m seeing an inclusion rather than damage? i purchased the ring online so I can return it but it is one of a kind. Thank you for any help.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without seeing a picture and based on the location, my guess is a chip.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, I agree with @chrono. I had one I wore quite sporadically for a few years, and when I louped it, I was surprised to see as much abrasion/chips as I did along facet meets.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I just purchased a ring with a beautiful Cambodian peach-brown zircon. I noticed under the loupe that there is a small chip along a facet junction. I know zircons can chip, but I’m wondering if I’m seeing an inclusion rather than damage? i purchased the ring online so I can return it but it is one of a kind. Thank you for any help.

It really could be either.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zircons are prone to facet wear and chipping, especially in pre loved pieces. Someone once said “don’t look under magnification or it will depress you”.
I think signs of wear / age is pretty typical for most antique or vintage pieces. If it’s a natural or induced chip the choice to keep or return, assuming vendor accepts returns, is your decision to make.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Zircon are notorious for facet abrasion. I would just think that’s from wear.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
As Gene said, it could be either. Could have been where a natural was and popped out during cutting, polishing, or a chip.

Hard to say.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results