Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you think this a well proportioned diamond?

jim_diamonds

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 19, 2016
Messages
12
I have selected a diamond that falls in my specs and price range. It returns a result of 1.1 on HCA and from my reseach it appears to have good proportions but I would like some of your opinions :)

Details as follows;
GIA SI1, 1.04ct J color Fl= Strong Blue [Cost £3000 or ~4,370$ may seem expensive but we have 20% extra tax on diamonds in uk :boohoo: ]

GIA Certificate
d1_5.jpg

HCA results 1.1
si1__1.jpg

Close up of actual diamond (has crystal on left of table. eye clear at 6 inches)
d11.jpg

So for the money is this a good buy ?

Would you say this diamond has a good chance of having good light return and fire? Any input would be greatly appreciated
 

HubbaBubba4

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 16, 2016
Messages
7
Hi Jim,

Sorry to ask a really irrelevant question for you but I am also from the UK and looking to purchase a diamond from the US and get it set there too, but was wondering are you getting yours set in the UK? Sorry I can't be any help about your diamond choice!! Cheers Jim!!
 

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Sep 3, 2000
Messages
6,475
The strong blue fluorescence may negate the value of the very good HCA score and excellent GIA proportions. SInce fluorescence of that strength often interferes with transparency in normal daylight, it could be that all the excellent proportions and cutting will be somewhat degraded by the change in light return created by the strong fluorescence. Yes, the proportions are "Excellent, GIA". However, that may not be the aspect that proves problematic.

This is something that no distant expert observer would fail to consider, but you may get less expert opinions which boil down to less than expert guesswork passed off as "good advice". Any apparent discount for such a diamond must be measured against the visual impact of possibly less than full transparency of the diamond. It might be a great stone and highly transparent, but we can't tell from a grading report.
 

jim_diamonds

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 19, 2016
Messages
12
HubbaBubba4|1463750769|4033959 said:
Hi Jim,

Sorry to ask a really irrelevant question for you but I am also from the UK and looking to purchase a diamond from the US and get it set there too, but was wondering are you getting yours set in the UK? Sorry I can't be any help about your diamond choice!! Cheers Jim!!

Hi, No thats fine!

Regarding your question. I am getting the diamond + mount/ring from blue nile. From what i understand they will import the diamond from America to the UK where it will be mounted to the ring. I went for this as I am going for a platium band and I want UK halmarks etc.

Be careful if you order from US site what deliver to UK addresses as their prices may not include the 20% import vat which you may end up get stuck paying (+import fees) if customs cease your ring when it arrives in the UK!

Hope that helps
 

jim_diamonds

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 19, 2016
Messages
12
Oldminer|1463753136|4033972 said:
The strong blue fluorescence may negate the value of the very good HCA score. SInce fluorescence of that strength often interferes with transparency in normal daylight, it could be that all the greatest proportions and cutting will be somewhat degraded by the change in light return created by the strong fluorescence.

This is something that no distant expert observer would fail to consider, but you may get less expert opinions which boil down to less than expert guesswork passed off as "good advice". Any apparent discount for such a diamond must be measured against the visual impact of possibly less than full transparency of the diamond. It might be a great stone and highly transparent, but we can't tell from a grading report.
Thanks for your advice!

I have asked blue nile regarding the Fluorescene and they got their 'vault manager' to check the stone to see if the strong blue FL hand any negative affect on the stone. EG. oilyness, haze or cloudy.

They have said 'Under normal lighting and viewed from a distance of 6-8' this stone is eye clean with no negative fluorescence effects. There is a small dark inclusion under the table but only eye visible at 3" or closer'

Does that mean it should be ok? or maybe its just thier opinion :S
 

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Sep 3, 2000
Messages
6,475
Of course, Eye-Visibility is "Their Opinion". One can generally trust sellers to be honest, but one must also realize why we say "trust and verify". Not everyone is a crook, not every honest person has the best eye-sight, and some folks just have no concept of what "truth" means.

If the diamond is eye-clean at 6 to 8 inches, that would be darned good. At 6 to 8 feet I'd be quite a lot more curious. You typed an apostrophe ' not a quote mark ", so you wrote feet, but maybe you meant to type inches. Even at 68. I am eye-clean at 8 feet, but not so wonderful at 8 inches. If the fluorescent effect is visible at 4 feet, or 2 feet, you need to be very concerned and need to see what they meant by admitting it can be observed at such a distance with your own or, in your situation, someone's expert eyes.
 

jim_diamonds

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 19, 2016
Messages
12
Oldminer|1463756965|4033985 said:
Of course, Eye-Visibility is "Their Opinion". One can generally trust sellers to be honest, but one must also realize why we say "trust and verify". Not everyone is a crook, not every honest person has the best eye-sight, and some folks just have no concept of what "truth" means.

If the diamond is eye-clean at 6 to 8 inches, that would be darned good. At 6 to 8 feet I'd be quite a lot more curious. You typed an apostrophe ' not a quote mark ", so you wrote feet, but maybe you meant to type inches. Even at 68. I am eye-clean at 8 feet, but not so wonderful at 8 inches. If the fluorescent effect is visible at 4 feet, or 2 feet, you need to be very concerned and need to see what they meant by admitting it can be observed at such a distance with your own or, in your situation, someone's expert eyes.
Thanks for your input!

I believe it was a typo. (but i will check) I think they meant its eye clean at (6-8 inches) and the table inclusion can only be seen if you look at it from 3 inches or closer.

So if the above statement is correct then you think the diamond is ok ;-)

This is the actual diamond under what i believe is 20x mag. so if you can see the table inclusion on the left of the table from 3 feet you must have super eyes : )
d11.jpg
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
I'm wary of the clarity, I'll be honest. I wouldn't want a mark that was visible on my stone.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    November’s Jewels Of The Weeks
    November’s Jewels Of The Weeks
    Upgrade to Five-Stone
    Upgrade to Five-Stone
    Elizabeth Taylor's Diamond Heart
    Elizabeth Taylor's Diamond Heart

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top