shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you think Princess studs are old fashioned?

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't think that the princess cut is "too old fashioned". Personally, I like round brilliants as studs as I don't like the look of my earrings being off kilter with one another. I do own a pair of ideal square cut stones that where originally studs and I had them made into drop earrings set on one point.

Yes, this is the reason for my preference for round studs too! I fiddle with studs when they’re in my ears and spin them (probably bad for stretching my piercing!) and the angles on any square cut would end up being off kilter with each other. It would probably not be noticed by anyone other than me, but would annoy me if I caught a glimpse in a mirror. I love a linear shape anywhere else though and agree with other posters that trends come and go so wear what you most enjoy.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I personally think round studs are easier to wear because as previous posters have said any other shape is easily askew.
That would bug me but it’s personal preference.

However If you love the princess shape wear them, if that is the shape that drew your eye and your heart leapt for then that is the right decision!

Also what’s dated to one will be timeless to others.

Have you looked at the thread on what metals people have in their jewelry box? There are a few comments about yellow gold jewellery not being very fashionable at the moment but to me it feels more current than anything else. So we all have different perspectives.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I would get what you like but since youre asking I do think they're outdated and now I can only picture them being worn by rappers or "Karens".

This cracked me up. Rappers and Karens are quite opposite ends of the social spectrum!

After looking at lots and lots of diamond studs online, I think I'd go for the princess cut. As someone else mentioned, everyone has the rounds.

Princess cuts are something a little different. To me, that's a plus. Princess cut engagement rings were the in thing a few years back and now seem to have passed out of fashion but, as has also been mentioned, all that comes and goes. And anyway, that's engagement rings, not earrings.

I don't mind if the squares don't sit straight on my ears but I don't like studs that are not symmetrical, such as pears, emeralds, ovals etc. To me, those are the ones that look "off" when they're not sitting straight on the earlobes.

One other consideration, if you might want to get earring jackets, I think you'd have a lot more options for them with the round studs than the princess cut.

Last edited:

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for your comments. I love the princesses so much that I bought two pairs. One at 0.5ctw and 1ctw.

I purchased and tried on many round studs but felt it wasn’t as special as the Princess. I can’t really explain it but it may have to do with the fact that I like fancy shape more. :dance:

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone for your comments. I love the princesses so much that I bought two pairs. One at 0.5ctw and 1ctw.

I purchased and tried on many round studs but felt it wasn’t as special as the Princess. I can’t really explain it but it may have to do with the fact that I like fancy shape more. :dance:

Yay!!! Can we see some ear shots! Congratulations :kiss2: I'm sure they are beautiful on you!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:
Can't wait to see them

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE princess cuts, and the only reason I'm a round shaped gem girl in general, is I find the pointy edges of the princess cut to be uncomfortable. If it were a pair of earrings I would be wearing every day, I'd want them to be as comfy as possible, which for me would probably be RB.

I don't think the LOOK of the princess cut in a stud is dated, to me at least. And even if it is to others, in a few years, princess cuts will be all the rage again anyway. Square cuts of all kinds make my heart sing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results