shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you size your rings for your ring finger or other fingers?!

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello everyone!

It has been a long time coming, but I finally have a new project about to start.

I purchased a Paraiba oval some years ago and never got it set. This stone is finally finding its forever home!

My problem is... I don’t know which finger to size it for (first world problems much?)

I worry that as I get older and my fingers go up in size with life changes that I won’t be able to wear it which would be a shame!! I know, I could always resize. However, the design of this ring is such that I would not trust anyone other than the jeweller crafting it to resize, which makes things difficult as said jeweller is overseas. The setting itself is going to cost me... a lot. So I would like to get it right and not worry about resizing in the near future.

So! Are most of your (non e-rings) sized for your ring finger too? Your right hand ring finger? The middle finger?! Index?!

My left and right ring fingers are the same size (4.5) but my middle finger is a little bigger at 5.5... and the index probably 5.75. I’m trying to decide between 5.5 and 4.5...

This will be an occasional wear ring.

I own another ring (a band) by this jeweller already in a size 5.25. Although it has crossed my mind that perhaps I would want to stack the rings, I do worry things might get a little tight on my chubby 5.5 finger, especially with the size of this stone (10x7) and the design of the setting for this ring and the existing band!!

For those who have seen my old ring stacks, there is ‘negative space’ galore!! But even with all that negative space, my fingers are rather short and stubby and I’m not sure I could pull off a 10x7 stone and a band!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
May I ask who’s making the setting?

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
If you are okay with wearing it on either your right middle or ring finger, I'd probably size it for the middle and then if sizes go up it would still fit your ring. I have some right ring finger rings that used to fit my middle finger before I had babies and my ring sizes on my right hand went up about a size.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@JPie , kataoka of course :)

It will be a custom oval snowflake ring to fit my Paraiba. I needed a special setting for this stone, and although I considered a variety of vendors... for the size and colour of this, I could think of no one better.

Because I’m located in Australia, I really want to get the sizing right. I would honestly trust no one but Mr Kataoka to resize a kataoka ring...

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JPie , kataoka of course :)

It will be a custom oval snowflake ring to fit my Paraiba. I needed a special setting for this stone, and although I considered a variety of vendors... for the size and colour of this, I could think of no one better.

Because I’m located in Australia, I really want to get the sizing right. I would honestly trust no one but Mr Kataoka to resize a kataoka ring...

I was hoping you would say Kataoka! I’m sure it will be stunning. If I were you, I’d size it for your middle finger. My fingers went up in size about a year or two ago, and all my middle finger rings started to fit my ring fingers.

You could always use one of those ring sizing coils when you want to wear it on your ring finger.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone for your input! I think I will size it for my middle finger :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only wear rings on 3 finger: two on the left (ring and middle fingers) and middle finger on the right; and only wear one ring on each hand at the same time.
I only have 3 rings to wear on the right hand depending on occasions, and a few more for the left.
I size the rings for my left hand according to which finger I intend to wear them, based on stone size and setting design.
Larger stones and settings will go onto the middle finger, more dainty ones for the ring finger.
I have 2 metal sizers, one is a thin band, the other is a 5mm wide band, as I discovered to my cost that wider settings require bigger sizes when I was setting my birthday Amethyst from Richard Homer.
My ring sizes go up as I aged for certain, and I had to have them resized about once every 10y or so.

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have rings sized for every finger including pinky and thumb
i actually worry about two i had sized for index finger because there are stones in the band and one is channel set and they are slightly on the big size in the winter but my index is same sized as thumb
ive never been brave enough to go out with too many fingers glamed up but i like to wear Pinky, ring finger and index and them maybe 2 on the other hand but the other half gets a bit anti and asks questions like what did that cost?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am lucky in that firstly my fingers are the same size on right and left, and secondly my thumb/pointer/middle fingers are all the same size. So I have to decide between ring, middle, or other.

With my paraiba I chose to size it for my middle finger because it gets knocked around less than my ring fingers I feel, and I've seen people on PS break tourmalines and I wanted to minimize my risk of that. I only size for my ring finger if I'll wear it as an alternate engagement ring. A lot depends on size/color/type of stone and type of setting.

If the setting is how I think it will be, I honestly don't foresee a problem with a competent jeweler resizing it... so I would just pick whatever finger you want and not worry about it.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@distracts seeing your gorgeous Paraiba ring made me finally decide to set mine! I left the stone with kataoka a year ago meaning to start this project but due to some life changes, put things on hold for awhile. I needed a bit of a push to get it going!

My stone is included so I do worry about breaking it. The point about the middle finger getting knocked around less is a good one. I think I will size it to fit my middle which leaves me with space to move should my size increase in the future.

Kataoka’s rings/bands are incredibly thin (well under 1mm to my eye!) knife edges with milgrain all the way around on the thinnest edge, hence my reluctance to have anyone touch the ring once it is made. Although I have worked with some very talented jewellers (CVB, DK), I would worry that to seamlessly obtain that level of detail again, I need to send it back to kataoka which would be a pain!!

@JPie have you had any luck with finding another jeweller to resize your rings?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Crystal_Dreams I was able to meet up with Anis in NY when I needed my ring sized, and he took it back to Japan with him. They shipped it back to me when it was done. This was before they opened their NY flagship.

I recall Anis saying that having another bench resize their jewelry voids the warranty, so I would suggest confirming that to be sure. That was never a deal breaker for me because like you, I don't trust anyone else to do it!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@distracts seeing your gorgeous Paraiba ring made me finally decide to set mine! I left the stone with kataoka a year ago meaning to start this project but due to some life changes, put things on hold for awhile. I needed a bit of a push to get it going!

My stone is included so I do worry about breaking it. The point about the middle finger getting knocked around less is a good one. I think I will size it to fit my middle which leaves me with space to move should my size increase in the future.

Kataoka’s rings/bands are incredibly thin (well under 1mm to my eye!) knife edges with milgrain all the way around on the thinnest edge, hence my reluctance to have anyone touch the ring once it is made. Although I have worked with some very talented jewellers (CVB, DK), I would worry that to seamlessly obtain that level of detail again, I need to send it back to kataoka which would be a pain!!

@JPie have you had any luck with finding another jeweller to resize your rings?

If you worry about breaking it, and aren't looking to wear it with a band, also ask to get it set as low as possible. Also if you have it sized to fit your middle finger and you go up in size, if your ring finger isn't larger than it, you can always use one of those plastic spiral things that goes on the back of the ring to make it fit. Not exactly stylish but it'll work for you to wear it until you can sort out resizing.

I am thrilled to see the final result of this ring! His pieces are so delicate and lacy I can hardly believe they're metal.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Perhaps consider putting sizing beads in it that could be removed when your finger size increases? (I say "when" bc it is a virtual certainty, on of few such outcomes in life!)... though I dont know if that is any less invasive than a full resize.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My latest problem with this ring has evolved :(
Although I have had many things set previously, none have ever been by this jeweller, or with a stone like this.

They are asking me to purchase insurance on the loose stone (which in Australia, is simply not available), to protect against potential damage during setting.

I’ve never insured a stone for setting before. Usually it’s not a big issue as the (diamond) isn’t terribly included or the person selling me the stone is the one setting it.

This Paraiba IS included. The jeweller has certainly worked with Paraiba tourmaline before, but the details on the contract make me nervous. It essentially says if the stone cracks or is damaged, then I have to take the loss so they highly recommend insurance.

I know the jeweller is highly skilled and this is just to protect them, but it does make me worry...

Thoughts? Has anyone ever purchased loose gemstone insurance in Japan?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My latest problem with this ring has evolved :(
Although I have had many things set previously, none have ever been by this jeweller, or with a stone like this.

They are asking me to purchase insurance on the loose stone (which in Australia, is simply not available), to protect against potential damage during setting.

I’ve never insured a stone for setting before. Usually it’s not a big issue as the (diamond) isn’t terribly included or the person selling me the stone is the one setting it.

This Paraiba IS included. The jeweller has certainly worked with Paraiba tourmaline before, but the details on the contract make me nervous. It essentially says if the stone cracks or is damaged, then I have to take the loss so they highly recommend insurance.

I know the jeweller is highly skilled and this is just to protect them, but it does make me worry...

Thoughts? Has anyone ever purchased loose gemstone insurance in Japan?

Where is your jewelry normally insured? Do they have a thing like JM does where they don't insure loose stones but they DO insure for 30 days while setting? I too would be hesitant if the bench is not insured and you can't get your own insurance. HOWEVER I think it's great that they told you this up front because many jewelers do not tell you if they are not insured for damage or loss of your stone, and people only find out if something goes wrong. I always ask, but not everyone does.

Do they have an option they recommend? Can you purchase insurance in Japan if you are not located there? Can they purchase insurance which you reimburse them for? Hopefully other Australian members will chime in with Australia-specific options.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I did some research this morning and unfortunately no one here insured loose stones period. He also looked around in Japan and it was not possible for me to purchase it there.

The risks of setting this stone are going to be inherent to the stone, which I chose to purchase inclusions and all. I do appreciate that they are very upfront about it all though. Knowing that they at least work with Paraiba tourmaline regularly so they are familiar with its qualities is reassuring. I have also seen the skill of this jeweller before and there is no doubt in my mind that he is incredibly skilled. He works on pieces and details so fine I would need a magnifying glass to see it properly. Although I am nervous about this stone being set without insurance, I don’t feel I have much choice if I want it set. He is happy to set another stone that would be less easily damaged in its place, but this is the setting I have always dreamed of for this particular stone, so I’ll have to keep my fingers crossed that it all goes according to plan!!

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For what it’s worth, my ring size at age 20 was size 5; at age 60, it is 7. :(2
I have tried to compensate for larger fingers by upgrading the size of my stones...;)2

I like your method of compensation!! :)

Lately at the age of 33, I feel like my fingers have become a smidge bigger already... i suspect I’ve always been somewhere between 4.25 though my rings are sized for 4.5. I’m definitely feeling like more of a 4.5 nowadays...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just more forward. If the stone is damaged, you can replace it with something else so the settng is not a waste. I know that possibility sucks, but its a low probability outcome and simply a risk you must take.

Have you asked them if you can pay THEM to insure it on their own policy?

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have. Unfortunately they are unable to add it to their policy as they insure their stones at time of purchase!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results