shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you refrigerate a frosted cake? need help !

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Need opinions ----

Baking a large single layer "Texas" chocolate sheet cake (Thank you Paula Deen)

it is frosted with a butter/sugar frosting.

Do I have to refrigerate it? I need to bake this thing today - to serve on Saturday.
Can I leave it out, covered? I''ve always refrigerated cakes with a butter or sour cream
frosting, but dunno? I really need that refrig space too that the cake would take up !!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
bebe - yes you should refrigerate. First and foremost the frosting will harden... or possibly melt depending on how much butter you are using. Also sugar once liquified to a certain extent needs to be refrigerated!!
35.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I would refridgerate it.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe you can super-wrap the cake, leave it on counter, refrigerate frosting in a bowl and frost cake closer to event? You'd have to remove frosting in sufficient time in advance for it to soften to spreadable consistency. Either that, or lower racks in fridge as much as possible above cake, then stack other items in open space, using cookie sheets to create extra levels?

Sounds YUM!!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What is the ambient temperature in your home? Do you have a cool, dry place to store it?

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, definitely refrig it until you''re going to serve it. My hubby likes his frosting chilled and a little hard, so I don''t take it out until he''s ready to eat it. But normal people (LOL!) like their frosting the way frosting was intended to look and taste, so just take it out 15 to 20 minutes before you''re going to serve it.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
party is Saturday, I have to bake this cake to day (Fri.) so perhaps I can bake the cake,
then as Vintage said, refrig the frosting and let it soften tomorrow before I frost the cake
not a bad idea !!

any other thoughts? I can let the cake sit out, wrapped up real tight you think?

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I have no issue letting the cake sit out for 1 day, and have done it often.

YUM! texas sheet cake:)

April20

Ideal_Rock
If you''ve got room in your freezer, I''d saran wrap that cake TIGHT and freeze it. Let it thaw out the day you need to frost it. When the cake thaws, it''ll be even more moist than it was to begin with. I used to do this ALL the time when I was doing wedding cakes.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
don''t know what I''ll end up doing, but gotta do something.

can''t freeze it. My frig and freezer are both packed. And these are individual Sub-Zero''s, not small
at all.

cupcake bakers. what do ya''ll do ?

April20

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I leave cakes out frosted when I dont have room in my refrigerator. As long as the house is cool, the frosting should be fine. The issue is really melting. Leaving butter out doesn''t bother me- I leave butter out ion the counter in a butter bell and there is no issue, so I figure the same applies to frosting. I only start to refrigerate them from the start when there is cream cheese or something in the frosting. As long as the cake is whole, it won''t go stale.

I''ve left the sheet cakes out for a bit too, but not for long periods, so I''m not sure how quickly they dry out. Are you talking about the sheet cake with the poured butter/sugar chocolate frosting? If so, that stuff sets up really quickly. I think it''ll be fine out.....

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/28/2010 4:35:33 PM
Author: April20
Honestly, I leave cakes out frosted when I dont have room in my refrigerator. As long as the house is cool, the frosting should be fine. The issue is really melting. Leaving butter out doesn''t bother me- I leave butter out ion the counter in a butter bell and there is no issue, so I figure the same applies to frosting. I only start to refrigerate them from the start when there is cream cheese or something in the frosting. As long as the cake is whole, it won''t go stale.

I''ve left the sheet cakes out for a bit too, but not for long periods, so I''m not sure how quickly they dry out. Are you talking about the sheet cake with the poured butter/sugar chocolate frosting? If so, that stuff sets up really quickly. I think it''ll be fine out.....
As long as the cake is in a cool place, I would do this as well.

If drying out is a risk, make a tent with moist (not wet - you don''t want drups!) towels.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
thanks for all the help. I''m hoping I can squeeze it in the frig later tonight.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results