shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you ... RE-GIFT?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, what are your thoughts on re-gifting?

I mean... if it's something I think is nice, just not to my personal taste and I can't return it... I do it.

If it's something I'd never in a million years buy? I offer it to people honestly (telling them it was a gift and that I don't have any use or desire for it) or donate it.

But I don't think 're-gifting' is inherently bad. John however abhors it. He doesn't at all mind the "Hey I got this as a gift and don't want it, do you"... cause it's not gifting. But actually gifting something again gives him hives.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, no and no.

Your reputation will never survive if caught - you will forever be known as THE REGIFTER.
41.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
If I get something, and someone else REALLY likes it when I don''t care much for it, then yes, I will re-gift. Otherwise I try not to, I feel bad. Lol.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fi's mother buys all of our Christmas presents at the dollar store. No, she's not poor, she's just cheap. Because of the sheer number of dusty plastic candle holder's I've received from her, I feel no shame in regifting to her.

I do not regift to anyone else.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I do re-gift, if is something I will not use, but I don''t do it as a present. I offer to my family or someone that would like to have it. If nobody wants it, I donate it.
25.gif

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy, I'll ditto your husband on this one.

Our notorious regifting friends are also the ones who underpay horrifically when a group goes out to dinner together. I'm pretty sure the two are correlated.
14.gif

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I don''t regift, but I will donate it for a raffle, auction, or to a charity.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I''ll give it to someone else, but not as a present. I''ll also make sure they are 100% aware that it was a gift to me first, mostly to avoid the original gifter finding out. I feel bad doing it, but if I''m not going to use it and someone else really likes it, why not?

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy,
This actaully got me thinking about wedding registries. Walk with me here:

What if a bride gets two of the same thing she registered for. While looking over the registry of a friends wedding that is coming up, she notices that said friend has registered for the same thing. Can the bride give this as a wedding gift?

I don't ever re-gift. Thing I like I use, and things I don't particularly care for usually sit in my closet and end up getting donated to GoodWill next spring.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I do not regift, mostly for the same reason TG mentioned.

I know a notorious regifter. One of her problems is she waits til the last minute to do anything.
Some of the gifts we have received from her are so obvious.
She is a teacher and many of the things just reek of teacher gifts. I''ve also received
out of date nasty chocolate bars from her. Little trinket, junky stuff. One year she gave us a Christmas basket
full of stuff. The basket was the same one I gave her the year before. I assumed she
used it at some point to house a plant because there was dirt under the shredded paper. !
I''m not the only person to get these gifts, she does the same to others. What is amazing is
she thinks we don''t know or realize it.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 2:22:06 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Fi''s mother buys all of our Christmas presents at the dollar store. No, she''s not poor, she''s just cheap. Because of the sheer number of dusty plastic candle holder''s I''ve received from her, I feel no shame in regifting to her.

hehehhe.

No, I don''t regift. I just let it sit there un-used, cluttering up all the space we don''t have in our house.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
No, my FI and I do not re-gift. The only time we''ve thought about it was during a White Elephant Gift Exchange (with the same group of people from the previous gift exchange), so it humorous.

ETA: Last year FI and I gave "a date in a box" complete with a lovely bottle of Boones Farm "wine". This year the recipient of the BF re-gifted the wine to use with her gift this year
6.gif
It was funny; however the person receiving the two year old bottle of Boone''s Farm probably didn''t think so!
2.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Does White Elephant count as re-gifting? Because I LOVE that.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I will do the same thing as some others here....If I get something that I just won't use but think it is nice, I will give it to friends but tell them it is something I got. I used to be a Kindergarten teacher and the sweet little kids would shower me with little gifts for every holiday imaginable. There are only so many candles, coffee mugs and picture frames a house can hold!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have once. I was given a drinking game for my bday one year and never used it as I''m not a big drinker. For Christmas that year, my Kris Kindle in work was a big partier and was always out boozing and having fun, so that was given as the Kris Kindle present. She loved it and didn''t stop talking about it for ages so at least someone got use out of it.
I don''t think that there''s anything too bad with regifting, if the other person will like it.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
No. I love buying gifts to much to take the easy way out!

I will sell something in a garage sale, donate it or give it away...but I''d never regift under the pretense that I paid for it.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 2:21:31 PM
Author: TravelingGal
No, no and no.

Your reputation will never survive if caught - you will forever be known as THE REGIFTER.
41.gif
Once a relative gave my son a book for Christmas and the daughter of that relative announced to everyone that they were given the book but already had it so they decided to give the extra one to my son.

It's been at least six years and I still think of that incident!

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
NO, NO, NO!!!
29.gif
OK, let me tell you my PERSONAL experience with this.

My SIL...biggest...re-gifter...ever...and has been busted at least twice and still continues:

SIL was my MOH in my wedding. At my shower which she threw for me, she gave me this beautiful wedding album that had hand embroidered white lace and silk all over it. Sounds tacky but it was really pretty. About 2 months after our wedding, I was filling the album. On the front, it had this cut-out where you can put a photo in the front cover...it had what I thought was just a "stock" filler florally picture in there. When I pulled it out to put a photo in there, I realized it was really a gift card that said "Best wishes on your wedding M & C (Brother and SIL), Love ____________". I was terribly hurt and upset. I took all the photos out and promptly threw the album in the trash.

About a year later, SIL and I were at a mutual friends baby shower. After the mom-to-be opened the gift from SIL which was a front carrier, and everyone had finished oohing and aahing about it, another girl at the party stands up right then and there and says "well, I guess C didn''t like that gift when I gave it her 3 months ago"! OMG...so busted, right in the middle of the baby shower. Dead silence. Agony.

So, my advice is to never, never re-gift!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 2:21:54 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
If I get something, and someone else REALLY likes it when I don''t care much for it, then yes, I will re-gift. Otherwise I try not to, I feel bad. Lol.

Ditto, but I''m always upfront about the fact that I''m re-gifting. Otherwise I dunno, I''d just feel dishonest somehow...

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont re-gift per se, but I save things I dont want for my little cousins in India. For instance, when I''ve recieved a nice perfume as a gift or a handbag that wasn''t entirely my taste - I just store them in my closet and when I go visit, I take them with me (with lots of other things that I get them, ofcourse!!)

Other times I''ll offer it to a close family member/friend, letting them fully know that I got it as a gift and dont need/want it. With some of my friends, we routinely exchange things that we get and dont like. Just 2 weeks ago my friend got a necklace from her grandma that wasnt her style - she sent it to me telling me she didnt want it and if I like it I could keep it.

But if the gift is really crappy, I just throw it away.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting viewpoints. I''ve been re-gifted to and it doesn''t really bother me unless it''s basically trash.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I''m guilty of this. We got some nice stuff (like an all clad marble cheese board thingy) for our wedding that we hadn''t registered for, and we just don''t have room for extra stuff, so yes, I''ve given it as a gift if I genuinely think someone else will want/use it.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/16/2009 2:22:06 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Fi''s mother buys all of our Christmas presents at the dollar store. No, she''s not poor, she''s just cheap. Because of the sheer number of dusty plastic candle holder''s I''ve received from her, I feel no shame in regifting to her.

HAHAHAHAHHAHA.....hilarious!! Does she ever realize it''s a re-gift???

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 2:48:44 PM
Author: meresal
Gypsy,

What if a bride gets two of the same thing she registered for. While looking over the registry of a friends wedding that is coming up, she notices that said friend has registered for the same thing. Can the bride give this as a wedding gift?

I don''t ever re-gift. Thing I like I use, and things I don''t particularly care for usually sit in my closet and end up getting donated to GoodWill next spring.
Noooooo - because there''s likely no gift receipt, and it won''t show as being purchased off the registry!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 2:48:44 PM
Author: meresal
Gypsy,

I don''t ever re-gift. Thing I like I use, and things I don''t particularly care for usually sit in my closet and end up getting donated to GoodWill next spring.
Well, I think in that situation, the bride would return one to the place she registered at, assuming it was bought off her registry. Then re-buy for the bride off her registry. The problem is if you re-gift it, it won''t come off their registry, and they might be stuck with two of whatever it is.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t drink white wine and was given a bottle for Christmas. A really nice bottle of wine. My boss drinks white wine so I gave it to her for Christmas less than a week later. There was no chance of anyone finding out unless my boss knew flat out that I couldn''t afford the wine.

My great-aunt and uncle in-law regularly re-gift. Not anything useful, but out of date bath gifts. I missed this last Christmas, but apparently everyone was really upset, again, it''s not the first time that they''ve been caught out.

Most gifts I don''t want are given to charity. My husband thinks it''s rude to ask if someone else wants it in case the giver ever finds out.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don''t re-gift. If it''s not my taste, I''d be unwilling to give it to someone else because there''s a strong possibility they wouldn''t like it either. If, however, I''ve been given something that I don''t care for and someone else admires it, I happily give it to them so that the item will be appreciated and used. But not in front of the original giver, that would be rude.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never re-gifted, but I have done the "I got that for X. You want it?" Or I just return the item.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
I don''t regift gifts but I do reuse gift bags and tissue! I am sometimes paranoid I will forget where it came from and "regift" it though.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I usually don''t re-gift actual gifts, but I have been known to pay for friends'' wedding gifts using a gift certificate that was meant for me.
11.gif
That sort of ties into meresal''s question...I received a gift certificate for my shower that I''m using to buy a friend''s wedding gift from her registry.

I also reuse gift bags and tissue paper, Julia! Glad I''m not the only one!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results