shape
carat
color
clarity

do you play the lottery?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if you hit the lottery would you take the payment in one lump sum or monthly? would you share your new found wealth with others?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I buy two or three tickets a month. Just the regular lotto, not the mega millions, because I wouldn't want to be responsible for 20-30 million bucks.

I'd take one lump sum and I would share it, but only with a select few individuals, like my inlaws and others who've always been here for my kids, DH, and me. Just because a person wins a ton of money, doesn't mean they're obligated to hand out cash to every family member out there, especially if you only win 2 million after taxes. That's not even enough for my husband and me to buy a home, pay the annual taxes on it, and put our kids through college.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Nope, I do not believe in it.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 3:34:52 PM
Author:Dancing Fire
if you hit the lottery would you take the payment in one lump sum or monthly? would you share your new found wealth with others?

I don''t play, but if I *did* and won, I''d take the lump sum. As for sharing it, absolutely, with family- depending on the amount, I''d make sure my parents could retire comfortably tomorrow.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We play powerball when the jackpot gets to be over 100 mill. Don't ask me why, we'd be happy winning $100! We would take a lump sum and pay off our parent's mortgages and put money away for my teenaged brother's college education. The rest would be for us. We would take a long vacation, but then continue to work.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 3:54:51 PM
Author: EBree

I don''t play, but if I *did* and won, I''d take the lump sum. As for sharing it, absolutely, with family- depending on the amount, I''d make sure my parents could retire comfortably tomorrow.
Ditto. I don''t play. I''ve bought one ticket in my life, which was when I turned 18. DH plays if it''s above 50 mil.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t play but I would take it in one lump sum. I would be generous with my siblings and my parents. Set up a trust/college fund for DD and try to live off the interest of the remaining amount.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i'am not a greedy person...all i want is one lump sum "net $10 million after tax".

buy a $1.5 mil home and built a $250K koi pond in the backyard,of course all pay for with cash. i hate monthly payments.
14.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Do I play the lottery?

I''m thinkin'' I might need to ''invest'' in my chances to win, for the sake of retirement, if my 401K gets any scrawnier!

If I won big, I would first seek the advice of an attorney and accountant, and take it in whatever manner they thought best for the sake of taxes, investments, etc.

My BFF and I have a pact; if either of us win, the other gets enough money to "take this job and shove it" at our present employment.
9.gif

How would you spend your winnings? My lifestyle would be improved, but I would secure my future before spending a dime on toys or bling. But bling will be bought. Trust me.
28.gif

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
I play in spurts, usually when I am worried about money--then i pay $1 for a little piece of paper than is worthless the next day!! Duh--I am stupid!

But I consider it entertainment tax. Hey--when I am dreaming I am the most generous person there is. In fact, I have more fun thinking of how I would share it than thinking of what I would buy for myself. Don''t get me wrong, there is a three-stone diamond right hand ring (maybe Mark Morrel) on my hand during my daydreams.

I have planned on inviting my whole office to a party and given everyone pair of WF diamond earrings-- (with back-ups of extra in case they would rather have had the princess, martini, etc) Or we all go to Nordstrom and have their personal shopper deck us out for a night on the town. Big tips for food servers, surprise money sent to people I know need it. I think it would be so fun to be able to give that little thing people are yearning for, but can''t afford, if you knew what it was--and send it anonymously. I still remember getting a $5 tip when I was a waitress --Who-hoo!!

My DH thinks I am crazy but I wait a long time before I check my tickets, in fact I avoid knowing--cos you''re always the winner until you check. Then I realize it ain''t gonna happen and I''m done-done. I stop playing and think about something else. Back to the real world.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
No. You are 12 times more likely to die in a car accident driving 1 mile to the store to buy the ticket than you are to win.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2009 3:34:52 PM
Author:Dancing Fire
We very rarely buy tickets. Don''t have a choice here, lump sum only. We don''t pay taxes like the US does though, so huge bonus if you were to actually win. Even though we don''t really play, we often have conversations about doling out our "winnings". Family first, then friends and organizations.
2.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I rarely purchase them. If I won I''d take the lump sum and buy my parents a home here in Los Angeles. I worry about them in Kansas by themselves. They''re 78, health is iffy and I''m an only child so there are no other siblings to help out. I''m saving now trying to afford a second home but it would be a stretch right now. A lotto win would be a real bonus.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Lord DF this is like playing Spaids with my father when he would
"force" my hand!
Yes- I admit it, I play the lottery.

My friend once said that only "desperate" people play the lottery.
I was too embarassed to tell her I was one of the desperate!
Oh well- I would take the lump sum and spread the wealth!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 7:16:38 PM
Author: sevens one
''force'' my hand!

My friend once said that only ''desperate'' people play the lottery.
I hope you win big my friend!!
36.gif
35.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2009 5:32:32 PM
Author: steph72276
No. You are 12 times more likely to die in a car accident driving 1 mile to the store to buy the ticket than you are to win.

OK, this seriously made me LOL!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
way to be a downer on a Saturday night Steph! ha ha you''re a glass is half empty kinda gal ain''t ya?
j/ k -
31.gif

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
Occassionally we play. BF and I agreed we would take the lump sum if we won. Maybe one day... here's to dreaming!
3.gif

Oh, I forgot to mention that I would definitely spread the wealth!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2009 5:27:00 PM
Author: HappyAnniversary

My DH thinks I am crazy but I wait a long time before I check my tickets, in fact I avoid knowing--cos you''re always the winner until you check. Then I realize it ain''t gonna happen and I''m done-done. I stop playing and think about something else. Back to the real world.
same here...i usually save three months worth of tickets before i scan them.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
''force'' my hand!

be sure to spread some towards DF.
2.gif
i''ve been very nice to you.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

sevens one--My mom has always called the lottery a "tax on the stupid." I''m sure you''ve all heard that one before, but I''ve heard it many, many times throughout my life because my father has bought lottery tickets for as long as I can remember, and my mother has called it that "tax" for as long as I can remember.

And, there''s that Shirley Jackson short story "The Lottery."

For some reason
3.gif
, I only associate negative things with playing the lottery, so I just don''t do it.

I bought a ticket once, on a day on which I felt very, very lucky. It didn''t win, so I felt stupid. And taxed.
9.gif

I don''t think it''s really a tax on the stupid, though. I think it''s a very hopeful thing to do. Maybe I''ll buy a ticket this week. If it wins, I''ll do whatever I need to do to follow Holly''s lead--help my nearest and dearest get set up to the point where they can say "take this job and SHOVE IT!"

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
true,but people still hit them. the most tickets i ever bought at one time was 350 and didn''t hit anything. ZIPPO!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 7:48:11 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

''force'' my hand!

2.gif
Get in line, I come first!!!
11.gif

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 7:23:32 PM

way to be a downer on a Saturday night Steph! ha ha you're a glass is half empty kinda gal ain't ya?

j/ k -
31.gif
Haha! No, I did play one time when it got up to some outrageously huge number and all the teachers pooled money together. We were all laughing about how funny it would be if we won and then all quit...the kids would have to have subs the rest of the year! But I really don't play because the odds are just so low and I've seen documentaries on people that have won and how it has ruined their lives in so many cases. It is fun to daydream about how to spend it though!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 8:23:16 PM
Author: Kaleigh

''force'' my hand!

2.gif
11.gif

You know it Woman! ha ha

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 8:28:35 PM

Date: 2/7/2009 8:23:16 PM
Author: Kaleigh

'force' my hand!

My friend once said that only 'desperate' people play the lottery.
2.gif
i've been very nice to you.
11.gif

You know it Woman! ha ha
Thanks Momma.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
yea if its over 40 million or so....
no more than 2 bucks in any one game.

I would set up trust funds for family, build 2 church buildings, one here and one in Canada. Buy a few friends diamonds and give a bunch of money away threw a charitable foundation.
Get hitched :}
Spend the rest of my days selling custom cut diamonds and taking photographs and selling prints with wifey2b by my side.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have not played. I have done the scratchers and won $20, that was fun!

If I did win; I would pay off my sisters and SIL's homes. I would make sure my 3 nephews college was paid for. I would also give some to charity. I don't think I would live in a different home, but I would buy a house in Kauai. hehe
9.gif
I would build an art studio for hubby to work on his sculptures.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I play occasionally. We have to get it in a lump sum over here so that''s what I''d do. I''d definitely provide for my family and friends and would support a few charities that mean a lot to me.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never played the lottery, but several of our teachers at my school do. I feel like I''d just be wasting money because I know I''d never win. If I did play and win though, I''m not sure if I''d take the lump sum or opt to get the money each month.

If we won, my husband and I would help our families become debt-free, and we''d do the same for ourselves of course. We''d take a trip to Hawaii (probably Kauai) -- I''ve never been there but it''s my dream vacation. Other than that, we''d buy a house (maybe 2 -- one as a vacation home) and put the rest in savings. We''d then continue to live our lives as we normally do. I''m pretty practical, and I definitely wouldn''t blow it all on frivolous things.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results