shape
carat
color
clarity

Do You Photograph Your Food?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do. I enjoy recording my gastric adventures and palate peculiarities. I also realize it can be interpreted as rude and possibly unsavory to be seen sticking a camera in the face of a filet.
I like to Instagram my favorite foodie fotos and tag the restaurant--I don't do chains typically and I want to help local businesses by giving them free publicity with my posts and relevant hashtags/keywords.
What do YOU think? Do you approve or are you omgsoannoyed when you see this happening--like, why can't people put away their damn phones for 20 minutes and just eat?! :lol:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
haha yes I do this, mostly because I like Yelp and restaurant review sites (since they help me find new tasty food places), so I write reviews and post pics. But I'm sure I look like a total idiot--oh well!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last night 4 of us ladies had a wonderful dinner to wish our friend a bon voyage because she's leaving for Copenhagen for the next year and a half. We had some lovely food and drinks and she showed us on my phone exactly where she would be in relation to the Baltic Sea/Norway/etc. So I didn't feel like it was super rude to photograph food and drinks. A couple seated near us got a birthday dessert and I overheard the woman say "oh, I have to take a picture, it's so pretty!" I feel like this is the norm now, but I bet others disagree. IMG_0312.JPG IMG_0309.JPG IMG_0301.JPG IMG_0311.JPG IMG_0304.JPG

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't go out to dinner often or post on social media BUT I think this is a nice way to thank a restaurant with a little promotion if you're satisfied with your experience. So I say go for it! They probably really appreciate it.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do take pics of my food now that I want to show my friends what I cooked or ordered when dining out! I try to do it as surreptitiously as possible, though.

Here's a pic from this year's Tucson Gem & Mineral Show, at a pub called Union, in St Phillip's Plaza. Its a happenin' place in Tucson so there's usually a line to get in and its LOUD. 20170210_180441.jpg

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like I try, but they never turnout good haha. So I usually don't.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still have a pic from DH's 50th in Vancouver, BC: Fish House in the Park (Stanley Park). It was so pretty I got a pic. CAM00150.jpg

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monnie, I remember the bad old days dining out when people would ruin my meal with cigarette smoke or loud and obnoxious talking, so taking a pic? Not a prob!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lawd yes! I also take pictures of my cocktails, particularly at home, because the lighting in my kitchen combined with the depression glass that I serve the drinks up in makes for cool pics. If anyone found my phone they'd think all I did was eat and drink!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deej, make that "eat and drink and buy bling!"

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
image.jpeg Yes I take pictures of my food but usually only if I made it. Saturday I made some BBQ wings and was so proud of myself I snapped a pic and shared the recipe on FB. I figured maybe someone would want to try the recipe, they were delish!

Kbell

Shiny_Rock
Premium
sushi.jpg noodles.jpg yes!
drinks.jpg and drinks... sideways drinks... lol

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When the occasion, place, or food is extra special. Meat pie at the Dog and Gun pub in Keswick, UK
Dog and Gun dinner copy.jpg

P

PierreBear

I try to do a quick snap shot, perhaps to remember a meal that we are out celebrating something. I do have an embarrassing moment when DH said for me to be in the photo with the plating as it was just so beautiful. I picked it up and must have accidentally slanted it. The plating wasn't traditional and my fried item slid off the small plate onto the floor. None of the staff laughed at me (open kitchen concept where they are plating in front of you) though I was laughing at myself. They kindly made me another one even though I didn't ask for it. For that customer service, I def did write them a Yelp review!

So yes - take photos but don't pick up plates. :naughty:

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
This thread is making me hungry.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Oops-sorry for chicken duplicate!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhhhh bless all of your hearts! Glad I am not alone in committing social etiquette faux pas. I have another confession: I have also instagrammed food during lunch meetings with clients. Yup. SAD!

Vegan Napa cabbage tacos--spicy walnut "meat." Good god these are amazing and I get them every time I go to that restaurant.
upload_2017-3-30_15-46-36.png

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I've been on both sides of the spectrum!

I used to take pictures casually. Just, like, "ooh! look at this yummy treat!" and then it developed into having a local food blog that I kept up with for a few years. I still have food blogger friends I follow on FB and Instagram, so my feeds are always deliciously food-pic heavy. :lickout:

I did get burnt out, and wanted to stop the feeling that i needed to capture EVERY BITE that went in my mouth. And, capture it with nice lighting, artfully arranged, etc. So, I stopped blogging and taking any pictures for a while.

Now I'm back on the food photos, but a little more casually :) Just quick snaps on my phone from time to time if it's beautifully presented, or if I'm proud of something I made.

LOVING the delicious-looking food in this thread, except now my stomach is rumbling!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some photos from a recent trip to Canada. I definitely take photos if it's a memorable dish or restaurant.

Lobster Mac and Cheese, chicken and waffles, gourmet coffee, Japanese dessert
20170221_134727.jpg 20170225_122833.jpg 20170227_140747.jpg 20170226_140638.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I absolutely love taking snapshots of beautiful food! My motivation? I want people to know what beautiful morsel sent me to heaven when I die and land face first into my plate of food.:kiss:

hoover

Shiny_Rock
I do! One of my fave photo subjects (other is pets). A big chunk of the pics on my phone are food related :razz:
I like to look through them as it reminds me of my travels, and things I want to eat or make.
I think one of the few places I held back on taking pics of my food was a fancy schmancy resto. I wish I took pictures...

P

PierreBear

Elizabeth35 - You are so talented! You are a great hostess!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes, but I can tell you firsthand it really stresses out the chefs, because if the lighting is off it can make beautiful tasty food look unappetizing.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes, but I can tell you firsthand it really stresses out the chefs, because if the lighting is off it can make beautiful tasty food look unappetizing.

So how do you feel about servers soliciting Yelp/TripAdvisor reviews? In December I dined at a Michelin-starred restaurant and our server actually asked us to post a review on TripAdvisor. We were seated about 15 feet from the open kitchen. I did not take any photos because the lighting was so dim, but I suppose if it hadn't been 11 pm and there was natural daylight I might have. I didn't even think about making the chefs stress out. Good to know.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So how do you feel about servers soliciting Yelp/TripAdvisor reviews? In December I dined at a Michelin-starred restaurant and our server actually asked us to post a review on TripAdvisor. We were seated about 15 feet from the open kitchen. I did not take any photos because the lighting was so dim, but I suppose if it hadn't been 11 pm and there was natural daylight I might have. I didn't even think about making the chefs stress out. Good to know.
I hate it and advise my servers to never do it. The "logic" is that Yelp and Trip Advisor aren't fair, because people are more likely to leave a bad review than a good one. Which, okay. It's true that if a person has a bad experience they go on those sites to complain because they want to feel like they were heard. Asking your table to leave a good review is tacky. You're turning what should be a seamless great experience into an obligation. The best you can do is make everything perfect on your own merits. If there is a problem, fix it or comp it, and apologize. No one cares that your sous chef didn't show up or whatever, they want their steak cooked properly.

Oh don't get me started :lol:

Chefs do want you to take pictures, but it makes them sweat. I didn't mean that to sound as though they discourage it! Also, I'm not a big picture taker anyway. I'm lazy.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate it and advise my servers to never do it. The "logic" is that Yelp and Trip Advisor aren't fair, because people are more likely to leave a bad review than a good one. Which, okay. It's true that if a person has a bad experience they go on those sites to complain because they want to feel like they were heard. Asking your table to leave a good review is tacky. You're turning what should be a seamless great experience into an obligation. The best you can do is make everything perfect on your own merits. If there is a problem, fix it or comp it, and apologize. No one cares that your sous chef didn't show up or whatever, they want their steak cooked properly.

Oh don't get me started :lol:

Chefs do want you to take pictures, but it makes them sweat. I didn't mean that to sound as though they discourage it! Also, I'm not a big picture taker anyway. I'm lazy.

Yeah, I didn't end up leaving a review because I really only do those on Facebook. I've also never had such a negative experience that I felt the need to publicly call out a restaurant or their staff instead of resolving it right then and there. I've also spent years in retail and therefore probably have more empathy for members of the service industry than your average bear because I know what fielding complaints and dealing with a-holes is like. :lol-2:

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
GUILTY! In fact, the end of my Instagram profile reads, "THAT GUY who takes pictures of her food."

I took far fewer food pictures on my recent vacation than usual, but nothing will stop me from photographing particularly lovely or sinful plates! I'm also a sucker for perfect latte art, cheeky presentation, and my own home-cooked meals.

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
Only if I made it. I have lots of friends who take pictures of their food. When they first started I had to reconstruct a few plates as I dug in before they could take their shot. I've now been trained to wait :roll:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results