carat
color
clarity

Do you own/use "high end" sunglasses?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lliang_chi|1325619233|3094185 said:
Kenny, Do you have to go to a Costco store for Maui Jim's?

No.
Costco does not have exclusive rights to sell the Maui Jim brand.
In fact I'm amazed Costco is allowed to sell them since they let them go at such steep discount.

Often fancy brands protect their main full-price retailers from things like this which can be seen a cheapening the image of the brand.
Perhaps Costco is liquidating Maui Jim's discontinued styles or something.
If so, that's no problem for me since I couldn't care less about what's in style.

I don't know all the other retailers that sell them since I had to reason to check, but the big chain Sunglass Hut sells them and here is their store locator:

http://www.sunglasshut.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreLocations?storeId=12351

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1325622111|3094220 said:

No.
In fact I'm amazed Costco is allowed to sell them since they let them go at such steep discount.

Often fancy brands protect their main full-price retailers from things like this which can be seen a cheapening the image of the brand.
If so, that's no problem for me since I couldn't care less about what's in style.

I don't know all the other retailers that sell them since I had to reason to check, but the big chain Sunglass Hut sells them and here is their store locator:

http://www.sunglasshut.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreLocations?storeId=12351
You can buy the real deal on ebay. I bought my last pair from ebay and they are great and I saved a bit of cash.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1325633689|3094393 said:
kenny|1325622111|3094220 said:

No.

You can buy the real deal on ebay. I bought my last pair from ebay and they are great and I saved a bit of cash.
The problem with eBay is it has a zillion sellers, which vary from honest to criminal.
Can you tell us exactly which eBay seller has real Maui Jims?

eBay + people wanting the best for less = lots of counterfeit goods.
Buyer beware.

I feel confident Costco is not going to risk it selling counterfeit goods.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Kenny. Hm. the style I want have been around for a while, so maybe it's one of those discontinued ones. My sis has a Costco membership, will have to check them out. Although maybe Chicago Costco's are not selling sunglasses now since it gets dark at, oh 3:30PM... :) Thanks for the tip Kenny.

And Luv, great tip on eBay too. :)

~LC

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is "high end"?

I have a few pairs of Oakleys - I'm outdoors quite a bit in summer and I used to get dreadful headaches after a few hours. But I don't consider them "high end" - they're definitely not in the $500+ range like I've seen some designer sunglasses run for!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1325652815|3094648 said:
What is "high end"?

I have a few pairs of Oakleys - I'm outdoors quite a bit in summer and I used to get dreadful headaches after a few hours. But I don't consider them "high end" - they're definitely not in the $500+ range like I've seen some designer sunglasses run for!
High end to me is anything maybe about $75-100? Not necessarily "designer" but certainly not the Target ones.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
My biggest concern with buying sunglasses is making sure that they are polarized. I nornally have one more stylish pair (though the ones I've been wearing lately are not polarized) and then a sportier pair that are always polarized. I've had my current sporty pair for 3.5 years and they're ready to be replaced- totally scratched and dinged but I still have them! I just was gifted a pair from Kate Spade that are both stylish AND polarized and I can't wait to wear them later when it is actually sunny out!

I was nervous when I bought my first $100+ pair of sunglasses but I managed to hold onto those for a long time (still have them, but my style changed) so I am OK with spending that kind of cash on glasses. Though if I find a cheap pair that I like I will buy them if I am in need. I am certainly not against a deal!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's one of those things, expensive sunglasses would be nice, but I just can't justify myself to buy a pair of sunglasses that cost that much. I don't think sunglasses should cost more than shoes and I don't spend that much on my footwear. It was psychologically hard for me this season to buy a pair of $55 gym shoes.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1325688469|3094810 said:
Yssie|1325652815|3094648 said:
What is "high end"?

High end to me is anything maybe about $75-100? Not necessarily "designer" but certainly not the Target ones.

I guess they qualify then.. though I get some with prescription lenses so that hikes the price up a lot!

part gypsy|1325697601|3094922 said:
It's one of those things, expensive sunglasses would be nice, but I just can't justify myself to buy a pair of sunglasses that cost that much. I don't think sunglasses should cost more than shoes and I don't spend that much on my footwear. It was psychologically hard for me this season to buy a pair of $55 gym shoes.

Oh, I'm with you on the shoes! I can't ever justify expensive shoes or purses. It's a mental block. A couple of my friends *have* to splurge on footwear as their feet are unusually shaped - I consider myself lucky to have very ordinary feet!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I almost always wear converse or crocs flats, uggs if its REALLY cold out. I am like a fashion disaster.

But purses...I will spend on, though I tend to carry one purse for a long time. I've carried my current one for almost entirely 2 years, which is like a world record. Ill be buying a new one in a few weeks though. Cost per wear for me on bags is typically amazing since I use them for just about everything til I really get interested in a new one, or they get stolen. I have two bags for when I go to a sporting event--little coach swinpack things--as well as a nice clutch for a wedding/black tie, but otherwise I just carry my big monster bag.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1325366189|3092453 said:
I splurged a few years back and paid Maui Jim for a polarized pair of prescription lenses. I LOVE them. Totally out of style now, but I keep them in the car for driving. They are rose colored lens, and I just am happy to look at the world through them. They make my eyes feel "aaaahhhh" when I put them on. Worth every penny, which was a lot since I cracked the lens on my first pair and had to get them replaced.

For out and about wear, I have a pair of tom fords. I would be fine with cheap glasses for the purpose I need (which was to shield the skin around the eyes from the sun to prevent wrinkles, but most big glasses look terrible on me. The Tom Fords are a bit heavy for my tastes, but I do like them.
Yo!

Bumping this thread for my own sunglass hunt. Was curious TG (if yr. around) -- which style of Tom Fords do you like/have. I'm eyeing the Ceciles in Havana.

After re-reading this thread I should check out Maui Jims too I guess ???

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1326152520|3098866 said:
TravelingGal|1325366189|3092453 said:
I splurged a few years back and paid Maui Jim for a polarized pair of prescription lenses. I LOVE them. Totally out of style now, but I keep them in the car for driving. They are rose colored lens, and I just am happy to look at the world through them. They make my eyes feel "aaaahhhh" when I put them on. Worth every penny, which was a lot since I cracked the lens on my first pair and had to get them replaced.

For out and about wear, I have a pair of tom fords. I would be fine with cheap glasses for the purpose I need (which was to shield the skin around the eyes from the sun to prevent wrinkles, but most big glasses look terrible on me. The Tom Fords are a bit heavy for my tastes, but I do like them.
Yo!

Bumping this thread for my own sunglass hunt. Was curious TG (if yr. around) -- which style of Tom Fords do you like/have. I'm eyeing the Ceciles in Havana.

After re-reading this thread I should check out Maui Jims too I guess ???

Deco, I have the Miranda is gunmetal:

http://www.amazon.com/TOM-FORD-MIRANDA-130-08B/dp/B002GWHBTI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1326162115&sr=8-4

I needed the ones with nosepads, as I have a wimpy asian bridge. And even then, I had to get the nose pads adjusted because the frames sat too close to my face. I like the way they look, but they aren't as comfy as my maui jims and I don't wear them as often as I'd like because I just like having polarized lenses. I wear them if I lunch with the gals out during the summer, just to protect the skin around my eyes.

I would recommend his plastic sunglasses above frames like the ones I have. They are heavier.

Maui Jims I love. Love. My prescription ones are the only ones I wear in the car. Just too bad they are way out of style!

sweet_pea

Shiny_Rock
My nicest ones are some DKNY ones and then I have a cheaper Nine West pair. Tiffany is coming out with some that I absolutely love, but they're $220 and I just can't see myself spending that much on a pair of sunglasses. The ones that I'm in love with are on the front of the newest catalog if anyone has it. They aren't online yet but I emailed Tiffany and they said they should be out around the end of February or early March. I may have to try them on just to see how I like them... :Up_to_something:

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
i don't. never have. usually pick up a $15-$25 pair at tj maxx.

....however, now this thread has me thinking. i have some christmas gift cards burning a hole in my pocket & i've been wearing knock off wayfarer's for about 2 years now ($25 from the gap). so, should i take the plunge???

if so (now for the BIG question), go with the original wayfarers (2140) http://www.zappos.com/ray-ban-rb214...g-15xlt-lens?zlfid=111&recoName=zap_pdp_cross or the new wayfarers (2132) http://www.zappos.com/ray-ban-rb2132-new-wayfarer-52-medium-tortoise-g-15xlt-lens? anyone with any ideas?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
nope. I am the worst with sunglasses. I always lose and or break them :((

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
I loved my Ray Bans, but I sat on them so they broke.
My current favourites are Gucci and Fendi. I have bought Oakleys for many of my friends. They are fantastic quality and have better lenses than some of the more expensive brands.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes! I've bought several cheapies and ended up losing them or just not taking care of them and dumping them in my bag without a case, so I bought Prada ones last year and they are SUPER! The lens quality is the real difference, in addition to the nice aesthetics :)

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone...now I 'need' a pair of Chanel oversized sunnies! :tongue:
But the killer question is...do they do polarised?
I'm another polarised-only girl.
Currently wearing polarised Marc JAcobs. Quite like-ee... got a polarised Raen pair coming in the mail....
For me it's 'go polarised or go home'...and the darker the better!
But you NEED sunnies in Western AUstralia.
I had never worn a pair in all my life until i came to this state. The landscape is extreemely glarey here, much worse imo than NSW or even southern Qld.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am bumping this because I made a purchase and it's one I am on the fence about.

Here are admittedly HORRIBLE photos of the two it was between.

OPTION 1:
My siblings and many of my friends selected this one. I am curious if it's too large for my gigantic wilson volleyball. I like this color combination.

OPTION 2:
My parents prefer this one and only one friend thought it was the best. Im concerned that it's too SMALL for my gigantic wilson volleyball. If it came in the same color combo as above, I might like it. (I neglected to research it...)

This pair is polarized and frankly I could tell no difference in the store between the lenses. This pair was I believe $45 more expensive than Option 1. That didn't factor into my choice. Color and size did.

Any opinions? One? Two? Neither? OMG YOU ARE HIDEOUS TAKE YOUR PHOTO DOWN NOW!?

My husband's only input was 1) smile and 2) you look like a highway patrol person. My brother also commented on the smiling. I was trying to not drop my phone while I took the picture.

eta: omg those are bad. BAD.

option1.jpg

option2.jpg

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I like option 1, and you have fantastic hair.

I need to get a good pair for skiing, I had adidas ones for years that were great but I lost them! Any recommendations? I may look into these maui jims, they sound perfect. Those adidas ones are the most expensive I've ever had, I was cheapie all the way but I do squint/get headaches and now realise and want to correct the error of my ways!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you!

I bought the first ones, they come in Polarized but the combination is not really my favorite colorwise.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I went back to Nordstrom today and got the Option 2 in brown (not the black/polarized as shown), I also found I did not really like polarized lenses, at least indoors like that. My eyes freaked out with them. Things were not sharp.

Anyway...I had my hair pulled back today and I looked at myself in the mirror and the Opt 1 pair looked like huge bugeyes on me, and when I smiled my big fat cheeks got under there and shoved them way up! These feel a lot better, but my husband still doesn't like me in sunglasses. Or at least these.

Alyeska

Rough_Rock
Good sunglasses are one thing I do splurge on since I tend to use them a lot and have sun-sensitive eyes. My favorites are Louis Vuitton. They are high quality and they will custom make for you with the frame choice, lens color, and darkness percentage of your choice. They take about 2-3 weeks for custom and cost about $400 I think.

I have had Bolle before which are light weight and comfortable, but the lenses are too light for me.

I like Maui Jim brand as well.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite sunglasses are Maui Jim and Revo. The optical quality is wonderful and worth the price IMO. I just bought the Sugar Beach Maui Jim and love it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1325361975|3092410 said:
Sunglasses is one place I splurge.
For me that means polarized Maui Jim's or Hobbies.

Costco often has them at good prices.
My current Maui Jim's were $59 IIRC, and I saw the exact same model at Sunglasses Hut for $199.

I REALLY appreciate the sharpness and lack of eye strain from high optical quality (yes I know there are much more expensive ones) and the polarizing lenses, which cuts down glare.
Also since the glare is reduced you can see the real color of stuff so the world looks more beautiful.

My SO buys $5 sunglasses and I can't wear them.
When I put them on the reaction is visceral.
I practically panic when the world turns blurry and soft and my eye muscles strain in vain to correct the distortion.

I prefer non-tinted as in a neutral gray.
If there is any tint it has to be just a tiny bit and on the blue side.
The yellow/brown/rosey hues makes the world look hot, dry and unattractive to my mind.
YMMV.

I told my ophthalmologist I've worn dark polarized lenses religiously all my life.
She told me not squinting is the reason I look much younger than I am now that I'm an old fart.

Wow, I didn't know Costco sold Maui Jim! I thought no one was allowed to discount them. I am definitely going to see if they are carried at the Costco near us. Thanks for the tip Kenny!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently HAD TO get new sunglasses. I knew that as soon as my LASIK surgery was done, my old prescription sunglasses just wouldn't do anymore! The sales woman at sunglass hut suggested Maui Jim's for good quality and all-around good value - which confirmed what I'd read on this thread - and I ended up with a pair of "Punchbowl" style glasses in the black with blue frame. Love them! :appl: The only thing I didn't care for is the humongous, one-size-fits-all case that came with. I immediately swapped it out for a smaller case that won't hog so much space in my purse, and threw in a better cleaning cloth while I was at it. (I did pick up a few good habits in all those years of wearing prescription glasses that cost way, way more than these sunglasses!)

imitcan

Shiny_Rock
I have been wearing Maui Jims for 2 years now and will never go back to anything non-polarized. I have extremely sensitive eyes where I can't even see enough to pull out of my driveway safely in daylight, because of the squinting and often, watering. Aside from the lenses, I find the frames very sturdy and well made. I've had to be really careful with them because I have a bad habit of destroying sunglasses after just a few months of wear or losing them altogether. They are holding up beautifully and I think are well worth the investment. They were really comfortable to wear at the outset, which I can't say for the plethora of cheaper ones I still have in a basket in my front hall. Another one of those, you get what you pay for purchases!

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
ame|1327877077|3114427 said:
Well I went back to Nordstrom today and got the Option 2 in brown (not the black/polarized as shown), I also found I did not really like polarized lenses, at least indoors like that. My eyes freaked out with them. Things were not sharp.

Anyway...I had my hair pulled back today and I looked at myself in the mirror and the Opt 1 pair looked like huge bugeyes on me, and when I smiled my big fat cheeks got under there and shoved them way up! These feel a lot better, but my husband still doesn't like me in sunglasses. Or at least these.

i was going to say option 2 size w/option 1 lens color and it seems like that's what you ended up with. love them btw!! (and your hair is awesome!)

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Ditto on the Maui Jims! I've had mine for 3-4 years now and they are so lightweight. I really cannot recommend them enough!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1329781215|3130394 said:
kenny|1325361975|3092410 said:
Sunglasses is one place I splurge.
For me that means polarized Maui Jim's or Hobbies.

Costco often has them at good prices.
My current Maui Jim's were $59 IIRC, and I saw the exact same model at Sunglasses Hut for $199.

I REALLY appreciate the sharpness and lack of eye strain from high optical quality (yes I know there are much more expensive ones) and the polarizing lenses, which cuts down glare.
Also since the glare is reduced you can see the real color of stuff so the world looks more beautiful.

My SO buys $5 sunglasses and I can't wear them.
When I put them on the reaction is visceral.
I practically panic when the world turns blurry and soft and my eye muscles strain in vain to correct the distortion.

I prefer non-tinted as in a neutral gray.
If there is any tint it has to be just a tiny bit and on the blue side.
The yellow/brown/rosey hues makes the world look hot, dry and unattractive to my mind.
YMMV.

I told my ophthalmologist I've worn dark polarized lenses religiously all my life.
She told me not squinting is the reason I look much younger than I am now that I'm an old fart.

Wow, I didn't know Costco sold Maui Jim! I thought no one was allowed to discount them. I am definitely going to see if they are carried at the Costco near us. Thanks for the tip Kenny!

*update*
Hi Kenny, thanks so much for the info re Costco selling Maui Jim! We just came back from Costco and I picked up a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses. They are very different from the Sugar Beach Maui Jim sunglasses I bought last week which are an aviator style but they are still very glamorous and half the price! Very pleased as a girl cannot have too many sunglasses. :sun:
Thanks again Kenny. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results