shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you notice this too?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Just wondering if anyone else notices these things too. Maybe I have OCD but it really bothers me when stones are set off-facet. I have some pictures so you can perhaps see what I mean. Here is one of a round brilliant:

FacetExample001.jpg

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
If such a stone is set in a 4-prong fashion, I love to see the prongs arranged like this
4.gif
:

OnFacetExample001.jpg

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Or even like this (I think this is how Leon does it...)
4.gif
:

OnFacetExample002.jpg

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
But I cringe at the prospect of a diamond being set like this
39.gif
:

OffFacetExample00001.jpg

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
One of my earrings was set like the last pic and it drove me nuts. I took it back to be fixed (local B&M) and they really couldn''t see it... or didn''t get it
20.gif
but they did end up fixing it...

The first pic looks a little off to me too though, I like the second pic.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2008 2:54:44 AM
Author: Love in Bloom

If such a stone is set in a 4-prong fashion, I love to see the prongs arranged like this
4.gif
:
This is how mine is set and it looks perfect to me. I can''t really answer if the others would bother me or not...probably, though
5.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, if my diamond was set off I would go utterly nuts. I''m very OCD in that way. Thanks for this post because I''m going to remind them not to do that lol.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Come to think of it... I never really thought of that before. Great post.... off to check the way my diamonds are set....
3.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
It must be some sort of optical illusion, but to me the second prong arrangement, where it''s pointing at the bezel facet, not at the star facet, makes the stone look larger.

It''s a very nice demo you posted!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2008 2:55:52 AM
Author: Love in Bloom

Or even like this (I think this is how Leon does it...)
4.gif
:
This is how my ering is set and I love it. And yeah, it would bug the crap out of me to have my stone set like your third example.

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
my e-ring is set like your second photo, with the prongs perfectly between the arrows. i made sure to tell my jeweler that before they made my setting. i can''t stand it if it was set like the last example.

i don''t really like the second way of setting either, because i don''t want the tips of the arrows to be covered by any prongs. i didn''t know leon set his masterpieces like that?
33.gif
if i ever get leon to create a setting for me, i''ll have to make sure he doesn''t set it like that otherwise it''ll bug the hell outta me.
3.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the way Leon sets his.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
32.gif
There is nothing wrong with being OCD!!!
32.gif

Crap, now you have given me something else to worry about lol!! I will have to wait until I get mine to check it, although I am just thinking I had it set so the arrows would line up. Should be ok.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
A good stone setter would notice this and set it symmetrical. Vendors like Leon and WF do it automatically. But just to make sure if you are having a stone set you should mention it. Stones are set under magnification so they can see the facets.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad other people notice this detail too. I understand that as long as a stone is correctly seated in the prongs there is technically nothing wrong with a stone being set off-facet, but I like things to be just so. Sometimes I suspect perhaps stones are set off-facet on purpose, in the case of trying to hide an inclusion maybe? Other times I just think the stone setter didn't give it a thought, and that prospect bothers me (especially because my 1st ering was set off facet
38.gif
).

777_LDY - I'm really glad you were able to get your earring 'fixed.' How did you eventually get the point across about what you wanted to the store?

Diamond*Dana - Your ring looks perfect to me too! I'm glad you have not experienced the pain of "facet dysphoria." LOL, nobody should have to go through that. NOBODY
39.gif
19.gif
32.gif
3.gif
!

Moonwater - I'm glad the idea came up so you can make a suggestion about it. I'm OCD about it too. My mom thinks I'm nuts for even bringing it up!

Cushioncutnut - Best of luck to you on your facet inspection
2.gif
!

Beacon - Thanks for the interesting point about the appearance of the size of the stone. Intriguing...
36.gif

Surfgirl - Yup, stuff bugs the crap out of me too
25.gif
. I see so many gorgeous stones set all wonky...Like I told Angeline in her Maytal SMTR thread...when I see stones set on facet, it makes me just want to kiss the hands of the diamond setter. I won't say what I want to do when I see stones set off-facet
11.gif

Milly - Good point about not wanting to cover the arrows. I'm glad your prongs are positioned the way you like them. I will say I am accustomed to seeing the first prong arragement on my rings and I like what I see!

Tacori
- I kind of like Leon's style of setting too, Tacori. I will, however, just be thankful if I ever have the opportunity to even discuss this detail with Mr. Mege!
31.gif

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2008 11:20:39 PM
Author: honey22
32.gif
There is nothing wrong with being OCD!!!
32.gif

Crap, now you have given me something else to worry about lol!! I will have to wait until I get mine to check it, although I am just thinking I had it set so the arrows would line up. Should be ok.
Heehee! I''m sorry to be stirring up jewelry neuroses honey22
6.gif
!

In some ways it is indeed funny, mostly if it isn''t an issue for you. I just really remember it bothering me with my first ering. I really did feel like --->
32.gif
sometimes...and it was awful
8.gif

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I saw a stone set like that the other day and I didn''t like it at all. I thought I was the only one! haha

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is set like your cringe pic
39.gif
Shame on me for not telling the setter to line it up right. Oh, well. To tell you the truth I am really OCD but I never notice this detail. Just as well because I don''t want anyone messing with my ring unless somethings wrong so I won''t bother to rotate it. I do agree with you though, it should be set with arrows in a pleasing position.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2008 5:56:09 PM
Author: WTNLVR
39.gif
Shame on me for not telling the setter to line it up right. Oh, well. To tell you the truth I am really OCD but I never notice this detail. Just as well because I don''t want anyone messing with my ring unless somethings wrong so I won''t bother to rotate it. I do agree with you though, it should be set with arrows in a pleasing position.
Mine is as well, and I am totally OCD about my ring, but didn''t notice this until later. I would take it back to the jeweler but I had a disagreement with them today and refuse to go back there to get it fixed. The other jeweler that I trust takes 2 weeks for even simple things, and I don''t want to part from my ring for that long right now!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2008 5:56:09 PM
Author: WTNLVR
39.gif
Good idea WTNLVR.

Date: 3/9/2008
Author: february2003bride
Mine is as well, and I am totally OCD about my ring, but didn''t notice this until later. I would take it back to the jeweler but I had a disagreement with them today and refuse to go back there to get it fixed. The other jeweler that I trust takes 2 weeks for even simple things, and I don''t want to part from my ring for that long right now!
I''m sorry to hear that. I don''t blame you for not wanting to be away from your ring! Hope you work things out with your jeweler....

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
My stone is set off center to protect and hide a little feather near the edge. I don''t notice it at all. It helps that the prongs are tiny so I barely notice those too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results