shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you need a cutting board with granite countertops?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I''m in the dreaming stage of my future kitchen remodel. I would really like to not have to use a cutting board all the time. For those of you with granite, can you slice onions and such without using a cutting board?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2008 3:16:47 PM
Author:IslandDreams
I''m in the dreaming stage of my future kitchen remodel. I would really like to not have to use a cutting board all the time. For those of you with granite, can you slice onions and such without using a cutting board?
You can but you dull your knives super fast. I use a cutting board for that reason.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Yes you can.

However if you love your knives you won't. Cutting boards aren't used to save granite or marble, they're used to save your knife edge.

I have high quality knives and I would never think of using them on stone
23.gif

*edited to add that Skippy sure does type fast
9.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can. But you''ll dull your knives really quickly, and have to end up replacing them. Plus, granite isn''t indestructible. It can be stained from food. If you want to give your knives and your granite the best chance of survival, you should use a plastic or wooden cutting board.

The only time I cut things on my granite is when I''m using knives that I not only don''t mind replacing, but also that I really want to be replaced because they suck. But you won''t catch me using my Wustofs on there...

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
so, I have a granite cutting board that goes with my granite countertop. (i guess there was an extra piece, or something.) and the cutting board ...it doesn't look like the countertop

also, I would never, ever treat my knives that way...

and it would really, really annoy me to clean the countertop with some soap stuff/cleanser and not be sure I got it all off because I couldn't rinse it in the sink.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I was told that we could cut on our granite...but I kinda find the idea gross. Whether I like it or not, my cats will jump up on the counters, people lean on them, etc, and my granite is like cammo - it's so hard to see spills (like the juice from a tomato or onion), etc. So I always use a cutting board.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Granite is actually pretty porous and sensitive to things like acids from food. I wouldn''t cut on it...

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep, you''ll kill your knives on granite. On glass too, which I would also avoid FYI as a cutting board.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
why do you not like cuttingboards? to me, they are just...part of the process.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to add... why not have a butcher block island or something like that?

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''d recommend something like these super cheap and thin cutting boards. I got a set of four or five for maybe $10 at Bed Bath & Beyond. I can easily fit three in a load of dishes by sticking them around the edges of the plates on the sides.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
BAH!!!
32.gif
38.gif
I yelped out loud when I read this! I admittedly have a fetish/obsession with my knives. Cutting on granite WILL damage your knives. Just say NO! And find a cutting board you can bond with.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
omg. no. no. no. why on earth risk a chip or scratch for a $20 cutting board...I got the most beautiful one from BB&Beyond...really thick, reclaimed knotty wood....everyone comments on it more than the kitchen :) I keep it right next to the sink..it looks great imo

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely use a cutting board. I think next go around, I''m going to have some butcher block somewhere.

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/31/2008 4:10:29 PM
Author: Elmorton
I was told that we could cut on our granite...but I kinda find the idea gross. Whether I like it or not, my cats will jump up on the counters, people lean on them, etc, and my granite is like cammo - it''s so hard to see spills (like the juice from a tomato or onion), etc. So I always use a cutting board.
Hey camo....if you line the countertops...the edges with tin foil for a few days that will make the cats stop jumping up there. we had the same problem when we had a cat and a friend told us they don''t like the sound. we tried it and we never had a prob again. the cat started jumping up on the ironing board instead.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Wow, thanks for the responses. I had no idea that the granite would damage my knives (although I''m not sure I care if I would have to replace my $2.99 IKEA knives once a year). I did know it could stain easily. I am not against cutting boards entirely, just want to know if they would be necessary. I''ll plan a spot near my cooking area to keep cutting boards...I definitely don''t have room for an island.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results