shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you insure all your jewelry?

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by Mamabean, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Mamabean
    Ideal_Rock

by Mamabean » Feb 28, 2019
    I have a lot of jewelry but I only have five or six large items on a separate policy through my insurance company....It’s at the point where I’m not adding them on the policy if they are less than $5,000...I’m not even insuring some things over $5,000 to be honest. If a small stone falls out which is rare..I just bring it in to the jeweler and pay for the new stone to be replaced. If I asked my insurance company to replace a little stone I know that’s a mark against me...even for such a small cost to them..and insurance companies can drop you...so it’s not worth it for a band...I’m basically just insuring the large stuff...I’m curious to see what everyone is doing as far as insuring all their bling...especially when you have more than one engagement ring..

Diamond Girl 21 and Missie1 like this.

2. missy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by missy » Feb 28, 2019
    I only have Bubbalah insured. I’m not sure what amount is covered under our homeowners insurance if anything. It’s just cost prohibitive to insure in NYC.

3. Gussie
    Ideal_Rock

by Gussie » Feb 28, 2019
    I only insure ering and studs. They are both daily wear. The ering would be expensive to replace (dh would freak!). And I think studs are more likely, though still not probable, to be lost.

The rest of it, I just hope for the best.

Also I pay out of pocket for repairs and see insurance as catastrophic loss only.

4. Mamabean
    Ideal_Rock

I’m actually thinking of taking a few things off when I add my new cushion halo. If my whole jewelry roll were taken in a burglary it would be a HUGE loss because I have lots of rings, etc...but there’s too much to insure them individually..I will insure my new cushion halo..but I didn’t insure my diamond cluster, or Tiffany bands or pendant.....I just have too much...#firstworldproblems :oops:

Diamond Girl 21, missy and Gussie like this.

5. Mamabean
    Ideal_Rock

Me too..

Gussie likes this.
  6. missy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by missy » Feb 28, 2019
    @Mamabean just want to add that I do keep all my jewels in a safe and live in a doorman building so do what I can to minimize the risk.

7. Gussie
    Ideal_Rock

by Gussie » Feb 28, 2019
    We have a doorman too. His name is Gus and he barks ferociously at new people! :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

8. Mamabean
    Ideal_Rock

I keep my jewelry roll in a large parchment paper box in my kitchen drawer with the aluminum foil and baggies! All my jewelry are in little tiny baggies made for jewelry so I can fit it in there! Hahaha!

seaurchin and MissGotRocks like this.
  9. missy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by missy » Feb 28, 2019

Hahaha that’s the best doorman Jewelry guard ever. :kiss2:

Wewechew, Gussie and Mamabean like this.
  10. Mamabean
    Ideal_Rock

I have my crazy Bailey that scares everyone too!

Gussie and missy like this.

11. missy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by missy » Feb 28, 2019
    @Mamabean please look into getting a safe you can bolt to the floor and/ or wall.

12. Mamabean
    Ideal_Rock

We are going to move one more time..When we do that I’m going to get one. I’m not sure when that is but in a few years...

missy likes this.
  13. Mamabean
    Ideal_Rock

:lol::lol-2::P2

14. Wewechew
    Brilliant_Rock

by Wewechew » Feb 28, 2019
    My jewelry is insured if it's over $3-4k (it used to be lower than that, and I assume in the future that number will raise to $5-6k). My thinking is basically I don't insure what can I afford to pay out of pocket comfortably if it is lost.

However, I don't have tons of jewelry, just a handful of staple pieces (only three pieces are insured that don't get worn daily).

Slick1, Gussie and Mamabean like this.
  15. Mamabean
    Ideal_Rock

That’s my thinking exactly @Wewechew...

Wewechew likes this.

16. MeowMeow
    Brilliant_Rock

by MeowMeow » Feb 28, 2019
    I only insure peices I wear a lot and would be painful to replace. This is basically my 2 diamond wedding rings, my heirloom diamond e ring. And just because we couldn't afford to replace it if we had to right now and it's super cheap to insure, my blue unmentionable since I have future plans for that sucker.

The rest would suck to lose but I'm not too interested in replacing it because it's all gold and that gives me a rash anyway.

Nikki1415 and Mamabean like this.
  17. Mamabean
    Ideal_Rock

I’m sorry gold gives you a rash but that sentence was so funny..:kiss2:

MeowMeow and Nikki1415 like this.
  18. MissGotRocks
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by MissGotRocks » Feb 28, 2019
    I have the more expensive items insured and some of the others although I am really thinking about taking some of them off. They could be replaceable by me or maybe not even - I find myself needing less and less pieces - lol!

Dancing Fire and Mamabean like this.
  19. Mamabean
    Ideal_Rock

Exactly..I need to thin out my herd...It would help if I stop buying things..:whistle:

SandyinAnaheim likes this.
  20. kayla17
    Brilliant_Rock

by kayla17 » Feb 28, 2019
    I have four or five things insured. Definitely my ACA ring and my earrings (bc I can’t really afford to buy another 3 carat ACA and earrings are so easy to lose).
    I used to live in NY and when I moved to NJ the cost to insure went down. Before I only insured my ring and it was with a smaller diamond and it still cost me more than my current policy with more items.

rockysalamander and Mamabean like this.
  21. HappyNewLife
    Ideal_Rock

by HappyNewLife » Feb 28, 2019
    nope. I only have my e-ring insured.

Mamabean likes this.
  22. JPie
    Brilliant_Rock

by JPie » Feb 28, 2019
    I only have two things insured, my engagement ring and a pair of antique earrings. My jewelry lives at the bank vault unless they're in rotation, and the few things I have at home are covered under our home insurance.

Mamabean likes this.
  23. Bron357
    Ideal_Rock

by Bron357 » Feb 28, 2019
    I’m 58, been wearing and owning jewellery for 50 years and have only lost and not found 1 gold hoop earring, which I didn’t like anyway.
    Here in Australia, insurance from a reputable company for any loss would cost me easily over $5,000 pa. That’s an awful lot of money over 50 years ( even though I started out with a modest collection).
    We have a hidden safe, good security, a dog and I’m at home. Crime in our area is virtually no existent in any regard. I don’t lose or break stuff so I can’t justify the cost of insurance, it’s another nice piece of jewellery every year!.
    I have a jewellery box on my dresser with about $1,000 worth of jewellery, (including “fake” stuff ha ha) and leave $300 in cash sitting out on my dresser as well. Why?
    I figure if we did get robbed they will take the jewellery box and cash and leave.

seaurchin, gregchang35, eapj and 10 others like this.
  24. Wewechew
    Brilliant_Rock

by Wewechew » Feb 28, 2019
    Lol I love this

Mamabean likes this.
  25. diamondringlover
    Ideal_Rock

by diamondringlover » Feb 28, 2019
    yep I have a separate rider for my e-ring, 5 stone wedding band, a RHR and my son's Rolex..other than that nothing else is covered by the rider

Mamabean likes this.
  26. Austina
    Ideal_Rock

by Austina » Feb 28, 2019
    I think any unspecified items under £3000 are covered by our household insurance and doesn’t need to be individually itemised, the big stuff is itemised and covered by our household insurance. Costs about £600 a year. If it’s in the safe, or ‘on my person’ it’s fully covered home or abroad.

Mamabean likes this.
  27. motownmama
    Ideal_Rock

by motownmama » Feb 28, 2019
    With my Chubb Homeowners, jewelry under $5K is covered (no deductible) - I have my over $5K stuff scheduled on a jewelry rider, but now that I've been married almost 25 years I don't want to think about what I've paid to insure my ER!!!! EEK!

Mamabean likes this.
  28. cmd2014
    Ideal_Rock

by cmd2014 » Feb 28, 2019
    I have an included $50K jewelry rider in my homeowner's insurance, so at some point I documented all the pieces of jewelry I had with appraisals, where appropriate, and sent in copies. But I have never lost or damaged anything of value, and crime is really minimal where I live. Fire or water damage is probably the biggest risk.

Mamabean likes this.
  29. Mamabean
    Ideal_Rock

It sounds like I’m not crazy then not insuring everything...I’m going to take some things off the policy when I add my cushion halo...I’m definitely keeping my studs and engagement ring on..along with a few other things..but going to take a chance on the rest. Thanks everyone! :kiss2:

Missie1 and missy like this.
  30. vintageloves
    Shiny_Rock

by vintageloves » Feb 28, 2019
    I don't have any of my jewelry insured.

Dancing Fire and Mamabean like this.