shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you have a set criteria on when you get lab reports?

blingyjules

Rough_Rock
Just wondering if you have a set list of gems you get gem reports for and which you dont. (Your personal opinion)

I know there are obviously gems that are often heavily treated like rubies and those on the opposite end of the scale like garnets.

As well as of course price will dictate it. I wouldnt see the point getting a report on something costing $100 whereas if I was to buy something costing $10000 I would (oh to have 10 grand just lying around to spend on gemmies).

What makes your list for gems you get checked and which you let slide and also what is your cut off price range for when you do and dont bother?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blingyjules|1390631697|3600882 said:
Just wondering if you have a set list of gems you get gem reports for and which you dont. (Your personal opinion)

I know there are obviously gems that are often heavily treated like rubies and those on the opposite end of the scale like garnets.

As well as of course price will dictate it. I wouldnt see the point getting a report on something costing $100 whereas if I was to buy something costing $10000 I would (oh to have 10 grand just lying around to spend on gemmies).

What makes your list for gems you get checked and which you let slide and also what is your cut off price range for when you do and dont bother?

The gems I don't get lab reports for are garnets, chrysoberyl, aqua and other beryl cousins except emerald, and some super exotic stones that people don't really know much about, let alone treat, like sphalerite. Garnets can be clarity enhanced or heated, as in the case of demantoid, so if that matters to you, and the gem was expensive, then go for it.

I would always get a lab report for the following, especially if I"m getting an expensive stone.
Corundum (Sapphire & ruby) - you also have to make sure it's a lab that can properly test for diffusion, especially with a mass spectrometer. AGL is a preferred lab.
Emeralds. AGL is a preferred lab.
Fancy colored diamonds that were very expensive (wouldn't bother on champagne diamonds though). I would send them to GIA as they own the bible on FCD's.
White diamonds if you want to know what you're getting is correct, and make sure it's not a simulant, synthetic or clarity enhanced. Again, send it to GIA.

Sometimes
Spinel since there's lots of synthetics out there, especially if you don't have a natural inclusion in them. Red spinel is often sythesized.
Tourmaline if you want to know the copper bearing status or clarity enhancement. I wouldn't bother on other types of tourmaline, because treatment cannot be detected, as in rubellite and indicolite (often irradiated/heated). Tourmaline is also not sythesized to my knowledge.
Quartz like fine amethyst if it was expensive, since there's so many convincing synthetics out there, but not on quartz cousins like citrine, smokey quartz, rose quartz, as they're likely to be so inexpensive, it's not worth it.
Opal, and I would do it if it were black opal and expensive. The synthetics and doublets out there are a concern, but often, opal is inexpensive, and not worth it. I don't buy much opal, so perhaps they're coming out with convincing synthetics, but I have yet to see one.
Pearls, but if you buy from a highly reputable dealer, you should be okay. Pearls are one of the most simulated gems, but it is easy to perform some tests yourself to make sure they're cultured (it's rare to find a natural pearl on the market today).

I'm probably missing a few here I cannot think of at the moment, but if you really care that the stone is at least natural from the ground, then send it in. You can always get a convincing simulant.

I may add an addendum to this list later.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Anything over $1k, and anything I am going to put in a gold or platinum setting. I like to drop things off in person to AGL because I do not have insurance on loose stones; I have to wait for the yearly trip to NYC.

My inexpensive Welo opal, moonstones, turquoise and the like do not have gem reports. If I were to set one in gold or platinum, I may send it off to AGL just to make sure it's not synthetic.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have a set criteria for when I get lab reports.

So far, I've only sent off a ruby to AGL - potentially it was an untreated Burma ruby (it was a gift) - and it turned out to be from Madagascar and heated only (which still makes me happy).

I have a sapphire that was represented to me to be Ceyon and untreated, a Chrome Tourmaline almost 3.5cts, and two Topazes represented to be Brazilian Imperial - I think I will be sending those to AGL for Gem Briefs very soon.

My emerald was Excel-treated but I already have a report indicating that.

I have my eye on a rather large Montana sapphire which would be the most expensive CS purchase I've made to date - if/when I buy my Montana sapphire, I will send it to AGL for a Prestige Report - for some reason it matters to me that it show Montana origin.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It largely depends on what it is, value, and who I get it from. I basically agree with the other posters though. Some things like corundum, and emerald, I would always want a lab report, unless it was super cheap. If I'm trying out a new ebay vendor, and its a spinel, I will send that too. I am sometimes happy buying from certain trusted vendors without a lab report, knowing that if I ever sell it, I would need to get a lab report or sell it "as represented by" the seller (which I would only do for one or two precision cutters). HTH.

blingyjules

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your replies so far. I know in theory you should always get reports but for me in particular that is more of a hassle for some stones than its worth (I’m in Australia so not as easy/cheap to send them to AGL).

I don’t have a lot of gems (yet) and trying to work out what is and isn’t important to me on that front before I start buying many.
The only stone I’ve have bought myself so far is a Ruby (it does have a gem brief from AGL to say it hasn’t been treated). The few others I have were gifts and not worth a lot. They aren’t large stones or fantastic quality and as I don’t want to sell them it prob. doesn’t matter too much.

New ones that I get though I would definitely think more carefully about. Its interesting to hear where everyone else draws the line on their purchases. Would love to hear more thoughts on it if anyone else wants to jump in :D

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
BJ you might try posting a question in Rocky Talky to Gary (part owner of PS and owner of Holloways Diamonds in Melbourne) re getting lab reports in Australia. Please post a link to the thread here if you do!

I believe there are two labs in the ACT and about 18m/2 years ago I sent them both an email asking if they did reports for individuals - sadly neither of them bothered to reply.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with TL for the most part when it comes to lab reports:
1. Commonly treated stones (all corundum, emerald)
2. Verification if purchasing from an unknown vendor (synthetic and simulant)
3. Stones that are greater than a certain dollar value.

Even then, the type of report and which lab I would have it sent to will depend on the stone type and how much detail I need.

CrisM

Shiny_Rock
Great thread for reference. Could it be added to the helpful stickie thread?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread has now been added to the stickied thread on Colored Stones at the top of the page. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results