shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you have a general style that runs through your jewelry pieces?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I don't think I do, and now sometimes I wish I did! The more I acquire, the more I find myself wearing multiple pieces and trying to find a complementary look. Going forward, I wonder if I should have some kind of vision, especially in terms of a setting style rather than the centerstone.

For example--are most of your pieces art deco? Halos? Emphasis on certain shapes or sizes? Lots of miligrain? If you have a cohesive look, do you like it?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do! My jewelry has been pretty carefully put together and coordinated, with most of it being casual and understated. I prefer quality to bling, so even my gold hoop earrings are custom made, 18 kt, and solid rather than hollow. I also have coordinated metal colors and have casual / semi casual / formal options in all 3 metals.

I have then added various rings to 'bring the party' - but that's more for fun, and even those rings can still be intentionally matched to the rest of my pieces.

So that's the one word I'd use to desrcibe my collection; intentional - and the intension is to have something for every possible occasion. There are no mistakes, no impulse buys. Anything like that has been removed over the years, paring my collection down, and beefing it up with higher quality pieces.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sort of think that I'm all over the place in terms of style but I find the pieces that I now wear most fall into 2 buckets - either the antique stuff (usually Edwardian is my fave) that I looove bc of how intricate but delicate it is or the more classic/staple pieces.

I will say that I used to buy a lot more 'fashion' type rings of many different shapes, colored diamonds, lots of pave, with swirls/bypass/etc. but now barely ever reach for those items for daily wear.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mine would probably be clean lines. I like simple, sparkly, classic styles.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think mine is more classic. Daily I wear my wedding set, diamond studs & diamond pendant. These only come off for cleaning. My next most worn pieces are 2 single station Tiffany DBTY platinum bracelets. The rest, mainly older necklaces, bracelets & several RHR’s, get worn on occasion but can feel too fussy for where I am at this point in my life. To be honest, having 3 rings in my wedding set feels too fussy sometimes!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
most of mine is low key meaning kind of smallish and understated...I don't really gravitate to large pieces of jewelry

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Started off small, demure and simple. Quite traditional.
Today, it is loud and garish! I do have a fondness for old cut stones though.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Sort of. I like solitaires so that's generally what I have been given barring one or two things.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. I love and wear what I consider to be "romantic" jewelry. Pieces with history that are soft and feminine and vintage or antique.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vintage with a strong preference for Deco and illusion styles from the 40's

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chunky, bold, large. Kind of like my body. I'm not a dainty person and neither is the jewelry towards which I gravitate! Unfortunately that leaves me out of the diamond game for the most part--I can't afford the kind of wattage I find proportionate with my frame. :lol-2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me, I’m like a magpie, anything bright and shiny I love.
My “collection” when younger was dictated by my finances, or lack thereof.
I have wanted to acquire certain gems / pieces. I had a list at age 14 that included a Rolex watch, a 1 carat diamond ring and a long strand of pearls. In my twenties to the list I added diamond studs, a diamond pendant and a diamond tennis bracelet. Then I wanted 21 gold bangles to wear as a stack! Some pieces took decades to acquire as buying a house, raising a child etc took priority over bling purchases.
But here I am at 58 and there is “nothing” left on my list. The last “big desire” was a huge aquamarine ring which I now have.
So my jewellery box is a complete mish mash. :lol-2:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely vintage over modern. I don't have a specific vintage influence though. I like most things pre-1960's. Big fan of illusion settings, fishtail prongs and OEC diamonds.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely modern, sleek and substantial. I like chunky necklaces, bold rings and large diamonds. I don't wear anything dainty or with intricate details. Lately I've been getting into longer necklaces and some of my shorter pieces are sitting unworn.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really attracted to pieces with bold color but my daily wear stuff is more on the delicate & neutral side...I have "moods" more than a theme :mrgreen2::lol-2:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Antique style settings, MRBs. Similar to my home decor, antiques with modern conveniences and an eclectic vibe.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just plain colorful. :mrgreen2: Pretty much everything I wear is bright and colorful. Other than that the only theme I see is halos. I love me a good halo. :halo:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a little bit of everything.
I just cant make up my mind. I love vintage, antique,
Native American, Mid century, tribal...........etc, etc

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine was all over the place. I loved too many things. I had bigger diamonds, smaller diamonds, various coloured stones, pearls of many variety etc..I was not very co-ordinated. In a lot of cases, I just bought whatever I liked without much forethought.

Since 2010, I've been consolidating and now my collection has 2 common themes: 1) For non-designer pieces: Big and bold, in terms of size of diamonds!! lol. But the settings are still on the classic forever styles. And 2) higher-end designer: I've fallen hard for VCA and have been building up a collection in WG and YG , mostly diamond pieces of matching designs; and I don't see my obsession abating any time soon, hehe. I am starting to venture into their stone pieces...

When I want something now, I do think carefully about it and take my own sweet time considering whether it'll match and blend in together with my existing pieces before I commit, and also how much I really love it and will I still love it in many years to come. I've learned a hard and painful lesson, you might say. I will not ever buy another piece on impulse or without considering whether it'll be in my forever collection.

Last edited:

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I too was like a magpie when I first started buying jewellery! Anything shiny and pretty would do! Joining pricescope fed that- I learnt to love halos, OECs, French cuts, step cuts, pears, ovals and just about everything else I’ve seen here.

Since then I’ve also learnt to STOP buying on impulse and consider what I have and wear a bit more. This is a pretty new thing for me, but I like missy’s Description of ‘romantic’ style. I tend to veer towards more antique inspired pieces. Delicate workmanship and settings are my thing- with plenty of bling in said settings. I’ve been putting more thought into the need to cull my collection of late. I am lucky to have a gorgeous collection of CVB bands that I love- but they just aren’t getting the love they deserve... the centrepiece of my collection is my Mary Jane rose gold floral paisley halo OEC ring by CVB. She suits me perfectly, and Caysie got the design spot on!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chunky, bold, large. Kind of like my body. I'm not a dainty person and neither is the jewelry towards which I gravitate! Unfortunately that leaves me out of the diamond game for the most part--I can't afford the kind of wattage I find proportionate with my frame. :lol-2:

Oh man, @monarch64 - if your body is 'chunky and large' - then the rest of us are screwed. I remember seeing a photo you posted on your FB page a while back of you as a teenager. I remember looking at it and then saying to my husband, who was sitting next to me at the time, "I think this woman has the best natural shape of any woman I know." We all gain weight as we age, but unless you've gained 150 lbs, my dear, there is no way you, of all people, are chunky!!

On the other hand, I am all in favor of big bling.... :wavey:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have some pieces designed to wear together (with pearls for example, I try to have earrings to go with my necklaces), but I find that I’d rather have a varied collection to suit the mood of the day rather than a suite of matched stuff that I wear together daily. So I mainly have classic pieces in expensive stuff (classics tend to pair well with everything), and have more fun stuff in costume and inexpensive pieces.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My common style is that they are all invisible, because I can't afford what I want :( :lol: lol

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh man, @monarch64 - if your body is 'chunky and large' - then the rest of us are screwed. I remember seeing a photo you posted on your FB page a while back of you as a teenager. I remember looking at it and then saying to my husband, who was sitting next to me at the time, "I think this woman has the best natural shape of any woman I know." We all gain weight as we age, but unless you've gained 150 lbs, my dear, there is no way you, of all people, are chunky!!

On the other hand, I am all in favor of big bling.... :wavey:

Thank you, @mrs-b --you are too kind! Maybe I should've chosen different words..."substantial," "formidable," "solid," instead of chunky! :lol: I am tall and that equates to large for many people who are smaller--and they're right--I am large in comparison to many folks! I sure don't mean it in a negative way, just fact. I come from strong Norwegian and German stock--it's just genetics. I am all about body positivity these days. :love:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I do! My jewelry has been pretty carefully put together and coordinated, with most of it being casual and understated. I prefer quality to bling, so even my gold hoop earrings are custom made, 18 kt, and solid rather than hollow. I also have coordinated metal colors and have casual / semi casual / formal options in all 3 metals.

I have then added various rings to 'bring the party' - but that's more for fun, and even those rings can still be intentionally matched to the rest of my pieces.

So that's the one word I'd use to desrcibe my collection; intentional - and the intension is to have something for every possible occasion. There are no mistakes, no impulse buys. Anything like that has been removed over the years, paring my collection down, and beefing it up with higher quality pieces.

Mrs B, this is exactly what I'm going for!! How did you do it? Did you start with a wishlist that you knocked through over the years, or just consider each piece as it came? Is everything/are most pieces custom?

I'd describe my look as 'understated glam', and I think most of my basics (miligrain diamond halo studs, diamond halo pendant, akoya studs, tahitian pendant) all work together well and I usually pair one diamond piece with one pearl piece. My CS rings and dangly earrings are where I'm running into trouble. Those pieces show off a little more of a 'style' element, and I'm a little frozen on trying to figure out how to integrate things, esp. if I might wear multiple rings at once and since my CS's really vary in size.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I too was like a magpie when I first started buying jewellery! Anything shiny and pretty would do! Joining pricescope fed that- I learnt to love halos, OECs, French cuts, step cuts, pears, ovals and just about everything else I’ve seen here.

Since then I’ve also learnt to STOP buying on impulse and consider what I have and wear a bit more. This is a pretty new thing for me, but I like missy’s Description of ‘romantic’ style. I tend to veer towards more antique inspired pieces. Delicate workmanship and settings are my thing- with plenty of bling in said settings. I’ve been putting more thought into the need to cull my collection of late. I am lucky to have a gorgeous collection of CVB bands that I love- but they just aren’t getting the love they deserve... the centrepiece of my collection is my Mary Jane rose gold floral paisley halo OEC ring by CVB. She suits me perfectly, and Caysie got the design spot on!

I am a super mag-pie. I have unset diamonds that I bring out while I watch TV just to hang and check them out. I'm also on the pivot from "I like it all" to "holy grails and dream pieces only". Its challenging! Extra challenging because I love colored stones, so sometimes one does have to make a bit of a quick decision to close the deal.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Mine was all over the place. I loved too many things. I had bigger diamonds, smaller diamonds, various coloured stones, pearls of many variety etc..I was not very co-ordinated. In a lot of cases, I just bought whatever I liked without much forethought.

Since 2010, I've been consolidating and now my collection has 2 common themes: 1) For non-designer pieces: Big and bold, in terms of size of diamonds!! lol. But the settings are still on the classic forever styles. And 2) higher-end designer: I've fallen hard for VCA and have been building up a collection in WG and YG , mostly diamond pieces of matching designs; and I don't see my obsession abating any time soon, hehe. I am starting to venture into their stone pieces...

When I want something now, I do think carefully about it and take my own sweet time considering whether it'll match and blend in together with my existing pieces before I commit, and also how much I really love it and will I still love it in many years to come. I've learned a hard and painful lesson, you might say. I will not ever buy another piece on impulse or without considering whether it'll be in my forever collection.

Phoenix--what do you do when it comes to a hard to find CS or hard to find piece?

I struggle between "Is this an impulse buy?" and "This is the closest I'm going to come to an untreated ruby/bixbite/emerald/paraiba/whatever in this exact color so I need to just get it!" For example--if my dream piece is 2ct diamond studs, its just a matter of saving money and buying a pair I want. If my dream piece is a 2ct unheated ruby, I may have to pounce on a 1ct unheated ruby with flouro, KWIM? And that is where I waver and doubt a little on whether I'm shooting myself in the foot by making a rash decision and going for something less than my dream, or whether I'm actually making my dreams come true buy finally getting that piece (and otherwise I'll be looking at photos online for eternity).

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Started off small, demure and simple. Quite traditional.
Today, it is loud and garish! I do have a fondness for old cut stones though.

Love that description. I call 'garish'...'GLAM!' hahhaa. I also started off small (perhaps tiny is a better way to put it, and many of my stones were between 4-5mm!), and now I tend to only look 1.5ct and up. And I thought I'd never get DSS!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mrs B, this is exactly what I'm going for!! How did you do it? Did you start with a wishlist that you knocked through over the years, or just consider each piece as it came? Is everything/are most pieces custom?

I'd describe my look as 'understated glam', and I think most of my basics (miligrain diamond halo studs, diamond halo pendant, akoya studs, tahitian pendant) all work together well and I usually pair one diamond piece with one pearl piece. My CS rings and dangly earrings are where I'm running into trouble. Those pieces show off a little more of a 'style' element, and I'm a little frozen on trying to figure out how to integrate things, esp. if I might wear multiple rings at once and since my CS's really vary in size.

Hi @Indylady -

This is a thread Alex T started about my collection. Not everything is here, and I have a few new pieces coming this year to round it out. But this is the majority.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-mrs-b.244487/

Pretty much all my pieces are custom - from my wedding band to my hoop earrings to my bangles. The charms on my necklaces are all custom, but the chains aren't (except one). They *are* all special tho - antique, special gifts, platinum - and so on. I collected things over the years, getting rid of pieces as I improved quality, and if you look at the last part of the thread, you'll see a record of my e-ring journey and all the missteps I made. I hope this helps!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results