shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you find moissanite to be oily or greasy?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only had a stone bought on preloved and then handed off to another. Even in a ring holder, I found it to have sort of a greasy film to it and it was very very hard to keep clean. It was from either tianyu or starsgem; I can’t remember.

Is that a think, or does it sound like something unique to the stone I had?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a few Moissanite from ages ago, a couple of Charles and Colvard Ones and a few more from Indian manufacturers.
none of mine have any film or haze on them but I remember reading somewhere that there was an issue with people finding their Moissanite developed like a haze on them that couldn’t be easily removed. It was thought it might be from hard water or oil from hand or hair products. Nothing definite was identified as the cause. People found success using silver polish to remove it.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a few Moissanite from ages ago, a couple of Charles and Colvard Ones and a few more from Indian manufacturers.
none of mine have any film or haze on them but I remember reading somewhere that there was an issue with people finding their Moissanite developed like a haze on them that couldn’t be easily removed. It was thought it might be from hard water or oil from hand or hair products. Nothing definite was identified as the cause. People found success using silver polish to remove it.

Well, for me, it wasn’t hand or hair products, seemed more of a quality of the stone itself. It bothered me greatly so I knew I couldn’t keep it.

If this was a stone quality (sounds not?) then I was wondering if the problem had been solved.

Thanks for the input!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, for me, it wasn’t hand or hair products, seemed more of a quality of the stone itself. It bothered me greatly so I knew I couldn’t keep it.

If this was a stone quality (sounds not?) then I was wondering if the problem had been solved.

Thanks for the input!

Yes it was weird when I read about it. It wasn’t all that common but there were quite a few people finding it a problem. Maybe there was a few batches that didn’t process right? Charles and Colvard sort of just said it must be something the owners were doing. the haze could be removed but apparently sometimes it still came back. Makes me wonder if perhaps they were “coatng” or something to make them whiter in colour?
The pink, blue and yellow Moissanite offered by Charles and Colvard back then were actually ”coated” with colour.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I had that stain develop on two stones from different manufacturers( one was Charles&Colvard). Like an oil spot. Would develop over time and very difficult to remove. I wondered if it was from some compound in the material itself, or if the surface of some moissanites attracts oils? Never developed on the avr I had, so maybe the newer material doesn't have that issue.
But yes one of the above stones had a greasy feel when I first got it. Was better after some serious rounds of cleaning. Many months later it developed that oil spot.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s something that occurs on the older 6H (or is it 4H? I can never remember) moissanite but not on the new moissanite. I have C&C OEC studs which have a small area of it that I can never clean off but it doesn’t affect their sparkle or make them look hazy

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve never seen it on my AV moissies or my harro moissy I have. Might be an older stock issue? Im curious to see photos if anyone has some.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So far so good re my AVC moissanite from Jonathan. It’s crisp and beautiful.

I don’t have many photos but here’s one I easily found to share. Irl it’s facets are crisp and lovely.

7F1A0595-7021-4B70-90EC-C6237D72EBA7.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m on my phone and apologies if that photo is blurry. It looks blurry to me now that I posted but maybe it’s just because I’m on my phone. I can’t see very well with the small print lol. #agingbeatsthealternative

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen a little of the oil slick on my older moissanite especially near the prongs or bezels. I attribute it to my hard water (?). Those are easily removed with silver polish and elbow grease. I now have a couple August Vintage moissys and I don’t see it on them...yet.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have India moissy, Chinese moissy and AV moissy...I have never has a problem. I wonder if people are putting hand lotion on or washing/ conditioning their hair while wearing the stone. I take my jewelry off before bed and making messy dinners. Otherwise I’m washing dishes with it on, etc.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suppose the previous owner could have done something to cause it, but you all know how compulsive I am about cleaning my stones. NOTHING worked, but I didn’t try silver polish.

Thanks for the comments.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i read about an "oil slick" effect on some moissy when i was researching a purchase - not sure what causes it but people were able to clean it off and then it would reoccur in a few months and they would clean it again etc.

windblownhair

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Sunshine cloth gets rid of it for me. I’ve had to use it a couple different times (like a year apart), so it doesn’t come back very quickly. This was C+C, my AVR Amora and indian moissy never developed it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, saw it on my older moissy (FB OEC), but haven't seen it at all on the newer stuff. I think it was an issue with older material.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It isn't just an issue with the older 6H material. I've had it on a Forever One (C&C) oval, which is the newer 4H material, too. It came off after a few sessions of scrubbing with Wright's silver polish. It can recur sometimes for some folks, others not. It has recurred for me on occasion on that oval, but each time it recurs it's less severe than it was before. I haven't had to use the silver polish in a while on it. I suspect it has to do with some interaction with hard water, as we have soft water at home and if I just wear it at home, I don't get recurrence, but if I wear it out and am washing my hands a lot in public restrooms or homes with hard water, I more often see a bit of a recurrence of it. I have other moissy stones that have only gotten it mildly once and never again after the silver polish, and yet others that I've never seen it on. I have no idea why there is that kind of variance between stones. For me, it's the only thing that makes me hesitate about moissy.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
What a coincidence!
I was wondering about that, as I am just starting to consider getting a moissanite, perhaps asscher cut.
I know that asscher cut diamonds are hard to keep clean, get greasy easily and lose their sparkle.
I had been wondering if moissanites have the same problem. I guess the answer is ‘sometimes’. I’ll have to reconsider.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results