shape
carat
color
clarity

Do You Feel Pressure to Wear Makeup?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I overheard someone refer to this issue a few days ago, and I thought it was an interesting one:

1. Do you feel pressure to wear makeup? From whom, if so, and where -work/home/socially?

2. Do you perceive any noticeable difference in the way people react to you or treat you when you wear makeup or go barefaced?

I love makeup but I don't wear it every day because I can't be bothered. But when I do wear it, I feel better and more put-together. I do feel that I wear it to please myself and not anyone else, although some would say it's about societal construction.

Anyway, I wondered if people here had experienced input from anyone else that's about your face, as this great Amy Schumer Emmy-nominated satire on the subject said:

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I actually feel way worse when I feel makeup, like really self-conscious. Most likely because I SUCKKK at putting on makeup though and it always looks like "playing dress-up". My husband also actively discourages me from using makeup because he prefers me bare-faced (possibly because, like I said, I suck at using makeup), so that's also a factor. Even on my wedding day I was bare-faced! At most I wear chapstick when my lips are dry.

lmao thanks for sharing that song I've never seen it before, I loved all the dancing and it's pretty funny!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL! I've never seen that video before, but it's a perfect parody of the pop music culture my friends and I always referred to as "dude trying to get laid music." Let's see...Bruno Mars "the way you are," New Direction "you don't know you're beautiful," and even before that, Billy Joel's "just the way you are." (I may have those song titles wrong, but I'm pretty sure people will know which songs I'm talking about.)

I feel pressure NOT to wear makeup, as shown in the video, but I do what I want with my face. Sometimes I wish more men felt pressure to take better care of their skin and wear some makeup themselves. They need it more than most women do. :lol-2: I got my first husband to "correct" his dark undereye circles with a really good concealer. I haven't seen him in a decade but I can guarantee he's still using that stuff. He was hooked. :lol:

ETA: sorry Jambalaya, I didn't fully answer. I don't feel like I'm treated differently if I don't wear makeup. I've found that I feel better about myself when working/traveling/out in public if I've taken the time to dress well and put some effort into grooming, and I think that is just upbringing, social conditioning, and habit/what I'm used to. Like, I won't fly in sweats or leggings. I do think others may be more inclined to treat one with a little more respect if one shows pride in their appearance and also conforms to societal norms as far as what is considered by most to be culturally appropriate garb.

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never go out without makeup. I'm always afraid of running into someone I know.
I don't feel "put together" without it.
Gotta have lipstick, eyeliner, mascara, everything.
Except blush. I don't wear it anymore.

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
I rarely wear makeup. I just...don't have the patience to "do" my face most days. There are times I get excited about makeup and buy all.the.things and will play with new stuff for a day or two or three and then revert back to my usual routine of lip gloss. I may wear mascara here and there.

I don't think I'm treated differently, but I'm a SAHP/student and don't work in a professional setting with certain unspoken formalities re: dress and appearance.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I personally prefer natural looking makeup. While I admire and do full on glam (foundation, primer, mascara, eyebrows, blush, eyeshadow-cut crease, highlighter, powder, and setting spray) about once a year when I'm feeling artistic, I tend to wear only a little bit when I go out.
In order for me to feel comfortable in my skin and confident in the workplace I have to have chapstick and my liquid blush that gets its color from crushed roses.
Im naturally very pale and I tend to look quite striking in a weird way without make-up....like I'm sick, its not a good look so im heavy on the blush.

I probably wear mascara or eyeshadow once a week but i never wear both at once. I feel like it looks cheap on my face and too much.
I either wear varrying shades of neutral eyeshadow colors (light powder baby pink, mauve, and greys) that bring out the grey green in my eyes and no mascara or wear mascara on my top lashes for length.

I also feel that my fiance finds me most beautiful when I'm wearing my liquid blush and some chapstick.

I do get tired of feeling like I have to wear any makeup though so every 2 or 3 weeks I go for 4-6 days where I dont wear an ounce of makeup and I only focus on skincare.
I started wearing and keep on wearing make up because I enjoy putting it on, I enjoy the beauty ritual.
I also wish that I could say that I never feel like I have to wear it out in public but that would be dishonest. As makeup is a normalized part of being a woman in our culture here in America, I dont find it that odd to feel those pressures.
Now, whether its right...thats a different conversation.
As one woman once said its like putting on your war paint and preparing yourself for the world and the day thats ahead.
I just love the plain artistic expression of it most though, and how I can shape my moods to it or to my outfit.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As posted in another thread, I have worked in controlled environment for many years, as such, I am used to not wearing any makeup.

I have never felt being pressured into wearing makeup.

I do not spend a lot of money on makeup, all came from high street pharmacies, with the exception of a pot of loose powder foundation that I seldom use, except for very formal events when the full paint work is required. :mrgreen2:

I seldom experiment with different colours and like to stick with the ones I like. This applies to lipstick, nail varnishes and eyeshadows.

I have been known to buy multiples of lipsticks and gloss, brow pencil and gel, eyeliner crayons and liquid eyeliners, and waterproof mascaras.

A informal made up face is eyeliner and mascara, with tinted lip gloss.

Next up adds dresses brows, liquid eyeliner and dark colour lippy, plus nail varnish if there is sufficient time.

Full paint work adds powder foundation and eye shadows, and that will take about an hour excluding time to paint the nails.

I don't like to wear foundation or powder on my face as I am not used to it. Prefer to have a moisturised face with non-tinted creams for dry skin.

Very low maintenance here.

As I seldom wear makeup, when I do, people notice, not because of the make up alone, however also the dressier outfit that I wear.

Perhaps my age and career reflects my self-confidence, being in my 50s, and worked in an industrial section that requires brains and not looks. :lol-2:

DK :))

AV_

Ideal_Rock
No.

I am still wondering how I gotten away with it!

It is a small pleasure often & a grand act rarely...

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve never worn makeup. I don’t understand makeup. I see it on other woman and wonder why they feel the need to wear a full mask. Foundation and powder personally make me feel self conscious. However, I do wear red lipstick, [so I am a bit of a hypocrite]...every day, to every special event, such as cleaning stalls.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not at all. I rarely wear makeup.

I cannot even wear lipstick. Feels funny and looks funny on me. I feel like I am playing dress up lol. Even for my wedding I just wore a lip gloss on my lips. Though I did wear other makeup at the wedding as my hairdresser T insisted hahaha. He put mascara and eye makeup on me and that was OK for the wedding. But an average day for me is no makeup whatsoever. I go out barefaced with lip balm. That is it.

If I am getting together with friends and feel like it I will put on a little mascara and eyeliner and cover up my dark under eye circles. I have never wore foundation or blush and wouldn't know how to apply it anyway.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve never worn makeup. I don’t understand makeup. I see it on other woman and wonder why they feel the need to wear a full mask. Foundation and powder personally make me feel self conscious. However, I do wear red lipstick, [so I am a bit of a hypocrite]...every day, to every special event, such as cleaning stalls.

Knowing you in person I can genuinely say you do not need any makeup Ms Jimmianne. Though you can pull off red lipstick like no one else especially while cleaning the stalls. Glamour meets farm girl. LOVE.:kiss2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry Jambalaya I did not fully answer your questions.

1. No I do not feel any pressure either way to wear or not wear makeup except with one of our couple friends. And we rarely see them anymore but when we would get together I would wear makeup just to go with the flow. It wasn't a big deal and she is very image conscious. She is a lovely person in all ways but for the fact that she can be a bit of keeping up with the Joneses in a way. I overlook it as no one is perfect right? And it is easier to go with the flow than fight her on it. LOL I did draw the line at the high heels she tried getting me to wear once. Compromise is the cornerstone of many good relationships.

2. Hmm I don't know as I don't wear it enough to be able to accurately assess wearing makeup vs not wearing makeup. I think not however. Really cliche but a warm smile seems to be enough generally...

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I don’t feel pressure to wear make up, but I do wear it every day. I’m out in all weathers so I prefer to keep my skin protected, rather than having pollution touching my bare skin,

I wear foundation, blusher, powder, eyeliner, mascara and lip gloss, and I don’t care if anyone thinks I look like a painted tart :lol: I don’t feel dressed without makeup, if I was a natural beauty, maybe I wouldn’t, but I’ve got to make do with what I was given.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I don’t feel pressure to wear make up, but I do wear it every day. I’m out in all weathers so I prefer to keep my skin protected, rather than having pollution touching my bare skin,

I wear foundation, blusher, powder, eyeliner, mascara and lip gloss, and I don’t care if anyone thinks I look like a painted tart :lol: I don’t feel dressed without makeup, if I was a natural beauty, maybe I wouldn’t, but I’ve got to make do with what I was given.

OMG! You do not at all resemble a painted tart :lol-2:...not even close my dear. You wear it so well and are beautiful inside and out.:kiss:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t feel under any pressure to wear make up, but then I am getting old! I think younger women feel this much more. My teenage niece is very interested in all things cosmetic, I guess she is at the “experimenting” stage. I am quite amazed at the layers of slap some young ladies wear, it’s almost like stage make up, with those big, dark eyebrows. Scary!

Personally, I put on some eyeliner, a bit of mascara and some powder. Maybe some light lip gloss and that’s it.

I don’t feel anyone treats me differently, but again, I’m sure this is to do with age and confidence.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Knowing you in person I can genuinely say you do not need any makeup Ms Jimmianne. Though you can pull off red lipstick like no one else especially while cleaning the stalls. Glamour meets farm girl. LOVE.:kiss2:
Thank you Missy, my high school yearbook caption was « There is no cosmetic for beauty like happiness ».

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t feel under any pressure to wear make up, but then I am getting old! I think younger women feel this much more. My teenage niece is very interested in all things cosmetic, I guess she is at the “experimenting” stage. I am quite amazed at the layers of slap some young ladies wear, it’s almost like stage make up, with those big, dark eyebrows. Scary!

Personally, I put on some eyeliner, a bit of mascara and some powder. Maybe some light lip gloss and that’s it.

I don’t feel anyone treats me differently, but again, I’m sure this is to do with age and confidence.

Interesting but like everything people vary no matter the age group. I have a number of younger friends (late 20s/early 30s) and most of them wear no makeup at all. And they sure don't need it. Youth blessed them with gorgeous and clear skin that needs nothing to make it more beautiful.

I agree with you completely about age and experience adding confidence.

Thank you Missy, my high school yearbook caption was « There is no cosmetic for beauty like happiness ».

Aww I love that and how appropriate.

:halo:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was born in 52 :) so I am a oldster, hip, cool and square ;-)

I have never worn makeup except occassionally, I hate it, it makes my eyes itch, my skin itch, one time I wore mascara and went to bed without washing my eyes and I ended up with a scratched cornea. I think make up is a waste of money, time and effort. even when I wore it I only wore eye makeup cause my boyfriend/then husband loved me in eye liner (meh).. I believe in natural.

I was never treated differently business wise, but guys noticed my eyes a lot more when I wore mascara, liner, they are green so dark stuff really shows that.. but I could only wear make up (eye) for like 3 days and then I stopped, toooooo much work.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'd love to wear makeup. Something to make me look like I was 40. :kiss2:
Unfortunately I have way too many wrinkles to not look like someone tossed it on a old bag.

When I used to try, the lipstick would have to be reapplied every few hours, I couldn't rub my eyes very hard for fear of smudging the eyeliner or mascara and by the end of the day any foundations were worn off anyway! It just wasn't worth the hassle for me!

I would have loved to do the eyelash extensions but I don't want to lose any existing eyelashes!

Are there even any good brands of makeup for people over 40 who don't want to look like it is desperately trying in vain to cover any deep wrinkles?

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I do feel a little bit pressured because of how I walk outside and so many people are wearing it and look nicer than me. I know I look tonnns better with it on.
But not pressured enough to do it daily. Apparently my delicate skin hates just about everything except certain moisturizers (finding those too is a massive chore lol. Many of those irritate me too) so I will put it on for special occasions but afterwards I am red AF and break out. Nobody can convince me that I should make myself uncomfortable for days after just so I can appear pleasing to people other than special occasions lol.

Don't get me wrong. I LIKE makeup. I like doing it and mine looks pretty decent. I spent so so many hours watching makeup videos so I do a decent job. It's just I look so so bad afterwards for so long I can't bring myself to wear it a lot.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd love to wear makeup. Something to make me look like I was 40. :kiss2:
Unfortunately I have way too many wrinkles to not look like someone tossed it on a old bag.

When I used to try, the lipstick would have to be reapplied every few hours, I couldn't rub my eyes very hard for fear of smudging the eyeliner or mascara and by the end of the day any foundations were worn off anyway! It just wasn't worth the hassle for me!

I would have loved to do the eyelash extensions but I don't want to lose any existing eyelashes!

Are there even any good brands of makeup for people over 40 who don't want to look like it is desperately trying in vain to cover any deep wrinkles?

I doubt that. And even if you do, check this out. According to Eldridge, you shouldn't want to "paper over the cracks" because it never works, but you can still look pretty darn good. :)

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, this is timely! I just bought a suite of makeup and have been having some fun trying it out.

But really, I wear no or very little makeup. Always lip gloss both for the comfort of my lips and because it does add a little polish while keeping it natural. Sometimes blush, every now and again a little eyeshadow. I love mascara and what it does for me, I just have trouble finding one that actually does anything (puny lashes) and doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes.

For the most part, I have not felt pressure to wear makeup. If anything, I feel pressure NOT to wear it. It's pretty comical to see my DH's expression when I do wear lipstick/foundation/full-on face.... it's THEN that he looks like he's seen a ghost and can't bear it. (It's not my application, I am good at it and use natural, subtle coloring.) I have full lips and lipstick scares the bejeezus out of him (admittedly, lipstick looks weird on me)!

My mom always put on a full face, ALWAYS. She made a point to say that she did it for herself. My dad couldn't have cared less - in fact, it was annoying if anything because we all had to wait the 1-2 hours it took her to do it if we were doing something. She tried to raise us to know we don't need makeup, and if we do wear it to wear it for ourselves and NOT a man or society. It worked, I'm happy without it but when I do use it, it's for me.

That said, I will say that I have, at times, noticed a difference when I wear makeup. It's happened infrequently, and not exaggeratedly, but there were times where it was enough to notice it... and wonder is it just me feeling better about myself and projecting more confidence, or are people really more receptive to me? I think sometimes it was the former and sometimes it was the latter. There have been a handful of times where I was going somewhere/doing something where I wanted to ensure I had a good experience, so I put on some makeup for that purpose (blush, eyeshadow, mascara, lip balm). Interestingly, these experiences are with women!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't feel any external pressure, just internal. Which isn't so bad, because I've always loved makeup and I'm very good at applying it. And I've learned a lot watching Lisa Eldridge's videos. That and just the working properties of the makeups now, are SO much better than when I was in my 20s or 30s, and there area SO many more choices.

Oh, and I'm not wrinkled like that lady up there, but I AM losing anything resembling eyebrows, at a clip.
I will NOT be seen in public without a minimum of eyebrow pencil. Period. I have like zero expression without them. The trick of course, is to put age-appropriate brows on - too much and you'll look silly, because everyone's brows either thin or lighten with age.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m 45 and don’t care what people think at this point but when I was younger I was called out for not wearing makeup. And the rare day (like 5 days a year) I wear any eye makeup, people tell me how great I look so I guess it makes a difference. And believe me, what I wear would be incredibly subtle.

I do powder my face sometimes as I have very red skin and it helps it to look less obviously red.

I’m allergic to anything so more than a few hours in eye makeup and I want to scratch my eyes out. And that’s all natural, organic, non-toxic, Cruelty-Free stuff! Thankfully, my husband prefers me bare faced so it works out!

I thinking that in the age of you tube makeup tutorials, there must be a lot of pressure on young women to have a full painted face. Which is fine if that’s what the young woman wants.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't feel any external pressure, just internal. Which isn't so bad, because I've always loved makeup and I'm very good at applying it. And I've learned a lot watching Lisa Eldridge's videos. That and just the working properties of the makeups now, are SO much better than when I was in my 20s or 30s, and there area SO many more choices.

Oh, and I'm not wrinkled like that lady up there, but I AM losing anything resembling eyebrows, at a clip.
I will NOT be seen in public without a minimum of eyebrow pencil. Period. I have like zero expression without them. The trick of course, is to put age-appropriate brows on - too much and you'll look silly, because everyone's brows either thin or lighten with age.

Yes this is what I miss most. My lovely eyebrows. I used to have thick dark pretty eyebrows. Though the one that I lost the most of is growing back a bit with the Bimpatoprost application so that makes me very happy. But still nothing resembling what I used to have. And worst of all I cannot apply eyebrow pencil as it inflames the eyebrow skin. Some weird inflammatory thing going on that at best my dermatologists (yes I have multiple dermatologists which perhaps is what happens as some of us age lol) think is inflammatory alopecia. So that is the one makeup application I wish I could use but sadly cannot.

Eyebrows can make the face IMO. And I know there are other options out there for most people but not for me since there is an inflammatory process occurring. But no complaints here at all. I am much better than I was last year at this time knock wood that continues.:pray:

I like Lisa Eldridge and her videos. I also thought the woman in the above video looked beautiful before the makeup application.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might be the only one who wears make up to look older. I’m in my thirties but am a petite baby faced Asian woman and without makeup most people put me in high school or college. I’ve heard numerous times “you look way too young to be a doctor!” I wear eyebrow pencil and eye liner and IT spf cream. That’s about it but it seems to make me look more adult apparently. And it’s fun to do the mildly goth punky eye liner thing, expresses my inner rebellion a bit. :)

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t feel any pressure, but I’ve always liked the idea of preparing for the day with a little makeup. It’s like a day persona, getting prepped to interact with others all day long. When I come home at the end of the day, it comes off first thing along with my jewelry. Only jewelry I leave on are jade bangles and some rings. It’s like a micro ritual between private life and public life. I have always worn eyeliner and mascara, a little shadow and lip tint. Sometimes blush and sometimes foundation depending on how clear my skin is. I really love tinted sun screen which I wear everyday.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't leave the house without mascara. I have long eyelashes but they are mostly blonde. Wearing mascara IMHO makes me look totally different so I always wear it out. When I am home without plans I do not wear any make-up.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results