shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you ever....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

laughwithme

Brilliant_Rock
...look at a calendar or think of a future event and hope SO bad that you''re engaged by then?

For as long as I remember, I was dying to be engaged by Christmas 2008, since we don''t see certain family members any other time of year. Didn''t happen, and I was surprisingly cool with it.

Then, I wrote on my calendar the date for a huge wedding show in my city - it''s Feb. 22, tomorrow. When I put it on my calendar, I thought for sure I would be able to go to it as a future bride! Nope, unless I''m engaged in the next 12 hours... ;-)

Now the one I think of the most is B''s graduation party in May...I REALLY freaking hope it''s by then, my goodness! His parents will invite some extended family and it will be a big gettogether with friends and family, and so I desperately hope we''re engaged then so at least I can show off the ring and get the date circulating in peoples'' heads!

What future events do you really hope you''re engaged by?

MrsHToBe

Shiny_Rock
There have been a lot, with the birth of our DD being the first one. Although getting married before her birth wasn''t a big deal (we''re not religious), since we had talked about marriage/a proposal just before we found out we were expecting, I was really hopeful for a proposal, at least. Anyway, since then, it''s been every Christmas, every anniversary, every Valentine''s Day, birthdays (mine), his graduation, vacations to the family cottage, etc., etc..
The dates stack up over the years, that''s for sure.
20.gif

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
HA! This is a funny thread because today was actually one of those days. My BF has been using my birthday (May 21st) as the ultimately deadline (so a proposal would happen anytime between now and my birthday). Last month we had a conversation about pushing it up to 1, 2, or 3 months before my birthday. Well, today is the 3 month mark and I have been joking about it all week (knowing very well that a proposal would not occur). At midnight last night I said "So...anything? something? nothing???" He just laughed at crazy little me....

Now, he has 28 days until my next nag-of-the-month. I try to be funny and playful about it and he says it isn''t driving him crazy....I know I''m totally ridiculous though!

nail_polish

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 11:33:07 AM
Author: sammyj
I try to be funny and playful about it and he says it isn''t driving him crazy....I know I''m totally ridiculous though!

Me too!
I keep trying to be playful about it, but sometimes I don''t even know WHY I''m asking ''cause as soon as the comment comes out of my mouth I realize how silly it sounded!

As for the original question - I tend to avoid the dates in my head rather than hope to be engaged by them. With how many ''big things'' (weddings, christenings, holidays, his parents coming home (they live in the Dominican) etc. etc.) we have to ''avoid'' so we don''t ''steal the thunder'' it''s a wonder there will even be a day for us!

So, I guess I do the exact opposite - hoping the dates come and go and pass so we can get engaged :razz: :razz:

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
YES! we have our 2 year coming up and we are making a vacation out of it going to Disney for a few days then driving to Tampa for this AMAZING steak house. I want want WANT him to propose sometime over this, and it KINDA fits into the "timeline" but I can't be 100%. If it doesn't happen I will still have a great time I know, but I really really want it to happen then!

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Yep. My 25th birthday is this July, and both of our families are coming out to visit us around that time. I don''t think it''s going to happen by then, but it would be really nice to celebrate with the fam -- especially because we won''t see them again after that until December.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
SO's niece is due in late June. I would love more than anything to be engaged by then. It would be my first 'niece', and I would love, love, love more than anything to have a legit position by then, but I doubt that is going to happen, so I am not getting my hopes up. I hate feeling crushed, and I was already lapped and beaten to the altar by his SIL, which ironically didn't bother me in the least. His family loves me and claims me, which I love, but it also makes it bittersweet.

I just convince myself that it is never going to happen. And I actually basically believe that now.
7.gif

laughwithme

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, and for what it''s worth, I was on the phone with him about an hour ago and told him I need to chat with his mom about his grad party plans (I want to take over invitations and decorations) and I was feeling feisty so I said, in my sweetest most innocent voice, "hey baby? Do you think, um, maybe that, um, we will be engaged by your grad party?" And he laughed and I can''t remember word-for-word what he said but it was something along the lines of, "it''s possible!" It sounded positive so....I''ll keep my fingers crossed. Don''t get me wrong, I still want and hope for it to be in coming weeks but I would just love it to happen for sure by then!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 2:36:39 PM
Author: laughwithme
Oh, and for what it''s worth, I was on the phone with him about an hour ago and told him I need to chat with his mom about his grad party plans (I want to take over invitations and decorations) and I was feeling feisty so I said, in my sweetest most innocent voice, ''hey baby? Do you think, um, maybe that, um, we will be engaged by your grad party?'' And he laughed and I can''t remember word-for-word what he said but it was something along the lines of, ''it''s possible!'' It sounded positive so....I''ll keep my fingers crossed. Don''t get me wrong, I still want and hope for it to be in coming weeks but I would just love it to happen for sure by then!

I was at a grad party when a friend proposed to his now wife, so who knows what might be in the cards!
36.gif
It was nice because there were so many friends and family members there, and she was SHOCKED!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 2:53:32 PM
Author: trillionaire

Date: 2/21/2009 2:36:39 PM
Author: laughwithme
Oh, and for what it''s worth, I was on the phone with him about an hour ago and told him I need to chat with his mom about his grad party plans (I want to take over invitations and decorations) and I was feeling feisty so I said, in my sweetest most innocent voice, ''hey baby? Do you think, um, maybe that, um, we will be engaged by your grad party?'' And he laughed and I can''t remember word-for-word what he said but it was something along the lines of, ''it''s possible!'' It sounded positive so....I''ll keep my fingers crossed. Don''t get me wrong, I still want and hope for it to be in coming weeks but I would just love it to happen for sure by then!

I was at a grad party when a friend proposed to his now wife, so who knows what might be in the cards!
36.gif
It was nice because there were so many friends and family members there, and she was SHOCKED!
OOOH good luck with that! :)

**DUST**

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 10:47:16 AM
Author:laughwithme
...look at a calendar or think of a future event and hope SO bad that you''re engaged by then?

oh boy sooo many of those days have came and went...

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
This is a good thread because now I know I''m not alone. But just thinking about how I''ve obsessed, almost starts to make me mad. I also get mad at him everytime I think a perfectly good opportunity has passed, but I''m trying not to direct my anger toward him. I''m trying to enjoy the moment.

mcseeinred

Rough_Rock
This is too funny - my hopeful "engaged-by-date" is also that of a wedding show! I like to think since it''s a practical deadline it has more of a chance of happening.....and the best part is he''s well aware of it and keeps telling me that he should make it happen by then!!

**DUST** for a grad-party engagement...another very practical deadline in my mind!

daydreamer

Rough_Rock
Oh I''ve had few that have since passed. I had wanted to be engaged before we traveled across the country for him to meet my parents because my mom is of the mind that there''s no reason to go to such lengths to meet the family of a boyfriend/girlfriend. Well we did this last Christmas without engagement. Now we''ll be moving in together without engagement, which I find disappointing, but he thinks is the normal order of things! Sigh.

Now I want to be engaged before the end of summer. He''s a teacher and so his going back to work full-time at the end of August is a significant and time-consuming event for us. If not then, then by my birthday in November or I am going to be upset. My 20th year high school reunion is over Thanksgiving. There will probably be people who have been married multiple times in my class and I''d like to at least be engaged!

SparkleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
I''ll second the reunion date - my 25th is in August - I''d really like to be engaged by then. Introducing people to your "boyfriend"
20.gif
at this age just sounds silly to me. Many "hopeful" dates have come and gone. My co-workers are no help either - they''re always checking my left hand *sigh*
emrosesad.gif

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock
Heehee, yes, I have also had many dates in mind that would''ve been proposal-perfect!

The absolute must-have-it-by-this-date event is my future sister-in-law''s wedding. It''s in June and I''m one of her bridesmaids. All of SO''s family will be there and they''ve all been dying for us to get engaged/married. So it would be really cool to have it by then. And hopefully I will!

lisamarie84

Shiny_Rock
I was REALLY hoping to be engaged before the end of '08, but here I am in '09 (ringless) with no idea when the proposal will actually happen. Now I'm hoping/wishing/praying! that we'll be engaged before my 25th birthday on May 9..or at least before the end of June since that'll mark 1 year since he's had the ring. I don't know what I'll do if he waits longer than that...seems a little silly to me to have had the ring this long already!
7.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
YES! OMG, when I was a LIW I wanted so BAD to be engaged by this wedding we went to in May. WHY? BECAUSE (for the dumbest reason in girlie girl history) his ex-girlfriend was the groom''s sister... (both would be in the wedding party) and for the first YEAR of our relationship, she kept calling him "to right the wrong of the breakup" in her words, but she really wanted to get back with him... it was sooo obvious. My man was awesome, he just let her calls roll to Vm and never returned her calls. I didn''t get mad, because it would have been stupid to get upset... he cannot control that she got his phone # from her brother''s phone and went psycho drunk dial on him.... that said... OMG I wanted to be engaged soooo badly when we went to the wedding... like, IN YO'' FACE! ha, not like really taht obnoxious... but.. well kinda, I''m a brat. (She started dating the friend of the other brother at first, to make my nowDH jealous- this came out later, it was sorta funny really.)

Fast forward, well we weren''t engaged, and I ended up not going. We had a very sick dog, and I had to stay home, because well - we thought he was dying, and we couldn''t board him.... so even if I had been engaged, I still couldn''t get the glory moment of HA! CHECK OUT MY RING CRAZY LADY! THe lesson I learned from this was... karma is a bitch. Had I just "wanted to share in the joy" or whatever baloney, maybe I could have gone and not had to clean puss out of my dog all weekend... but no... my intentions were shallow and wanton... .and so I didn''t get to go. Oh well. I still ended up marryin'' my man... and honestly now I could care less about the ex... I mean, heck, we''ve all got ''em, I look at exes as badges of honor, and sometimes, battle scars. ... and the more exes you''ve had... well either you suck at making relationships work, or you are SOOO GOOOOOD LOOKING you can afford to be picky, and discarding of love! HA, I AM SUCH A BAFOON!
31.gif

Sorry I had to venture into the past... but I was such a crazy LIW that it is kinda funny.

(note: the reason my being a LIW was sooo funny is I did NOT want to get married until I met my nowDH, but I like I don''t know... went crazy, I not only thought about marriage, but kids, and the whole works... this boy flipped my whole world upside down!!!!)
9.gif

ringless

Shiny_Rock
Honestly, I just hope it's sometime this spring. I would love to have a spring 2010 wedding, and I need time to plan and save. I've had enough waiting!

caseygal

Rough_Rock
Trade
heck yes! it seems so silly but every family or friend event i am think jeez i wish i had the ring to show off! not necessarily because of the bling but because of what it symbolizes and how proud i am of everything me and the BF have been through. and about the bridal show thing, there is one coming up soon and i keep asking if i''ll be able to go. it is utter pain to wait like this!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results