shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you ever crave naughty food?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't eaten sugar for around a decade, but recently I've had a huge craving chocolate ice cream.
Ice cream that's the real thing ... high-fat, fancy stuff with like only 4 or so natural ingredients on the label, cream, milk, eggs sugar, chocolate this or that - preferably, my home made ice cream.
I made it once almost 2 years ago, when I was courting my SO.

Maybe I crave this because of something about being cooped up in the house.

Do you every crave something you never let yourself have?

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love sugar. I broke my hardcore sugar habit decades ago. It used to be normal for me to eat a roll of Mentos every day before 8AM while commuting to work. Yup it was bad.

I went cold turkey re added sugar decades ago and just stopped eating that crap.
Now I eat it in much smaller quantities but am able to eat sugar every day without craving it in huge amounts like I used to.
We eat ice cream every day that has real sugar.

I find depriving myself only makes the craving stronger so within moderation I enjoy whatever I want (as long as I am not allergic/intolerant to it).

This is ice cream with natural ingredients and we are lucky enough to not live too far from where it is made. And made by a wonderful guy too.

icecreamatcookmancreamery.png

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
hello !
is the Pope Catholic? :mrgreen2:
but right now im broke so i havn't had chocolate almost all year
but ive been baking
sometimes late at night i get the condenced milk out of the freezer - where i hide it from myself and i take the pretty basic compound cooking choc chips out of the freezer - where i also hide it from myself - and i mix them up in a ramkin and i eat it with a teaspoon

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chocolate is, and always will be, my downfall. When I was a child, we used to go to an ice cream shop that had every flavor under the sun and I always got chocolate ice cream. My cousins used to make fun of me for choosing such a basic flavor in light of all there was to choose from. All that to say Kenny, I certainly understand and appreciate that craving!

I eat more chocolate than I should but it is a guilty pleasure that I enjoy. While I can certainly appreciate the negative effects of sugar on the body, I have never been able to give it up entirely. I do know that the more you eat the more you want and have had periods of time that I had none. The cravings certainly subsided but the desire never flagged. I would choose to eat less dinner if I knew there was a chocolate something at the end of the day!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm eating far more naughty food than I normally would, and it's even emotional eating, I admit that. We are still in full lockdown here, and it grates on my nerves some days more than others. Plus having a lot of pain makes it worse and I eat because of that. :(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Naughty food is the only food I eat:bigsmile:

I don’t know you irl @Madam Bijoux but I ❤️ you.

I'm eating far more naughty food than I normally would, and it's even emotional eating, I admit that. We are still in full lockdown here, and it grates on my nerves some days more than others. Plus having a lot of pain makes it worse and I eat because of that. :(

I feel the same @lyra. Honestly I don’t think emotional eating is all bad. We need some pleasure in life right now and enjoying food is a good thing. (((Hugs))).

alittlelight

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Everything in moderation, right? I try not to think about food as naughty. I try to limit myself to the good stuff every so often — something home-baked, a pie from a really good pie shop, good ice cream. But I don’t keep anything like that in that house. Same for any kind of chips.
You know what I LOVE??? Has anyone else had Trader Joe’s Cheese Sticks? Oh man, I could eat a whole box!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everything in moderation, right? I try not to think about food as naughty. I try to limit myself to the good stuff every so often — something home-baked, a pie from a really good pie shop, good ice cream.

This! Deprivation tends to make urges and cravings worse.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't eat sugar - or more than a few carbs in general. I'm iffy on red meat. Diary...meh. Gluten - a definite no. On and on it goes.

I'd LOVE to be in the 'everything in moderation' camp - but my body just won't get on board with the program.

My cravings these days are real, but pretty mild. For instance - I LOVE sugar-free apple sauce and full fat yoghurt. Or blackberries and yoghurt. Or apple sauce, blackberries and yoghurt. Or any other combo I haven't thought of. I'll sit down with a jar of apple sauce, a tub of Fage and a spoon, and make an afternoon of it. SO delicious. I occasionally crave chocolate - but I eat vegan chocolate, made with monk fruit sweetener, and it's delicious and hits the spot. Cake used to be my all time favorite food, and I do miss it. But my cravings for sugar have largely passed - along with my appetite in general, really.

ETA I could probably switch positions on this, tho, for a warm, sticky, cinnamon bun....

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I love naughty food - especially ice cream - and I eat it in moderation. I rarely had treats as a child, and while that has taught me healthy eating habits, I think it has made me a little more interested in "forbidden foods" than other people who more access to treats as children. I can remember so clearly the jealousy I felt looking at other kids' lunches that contained Doritos and Twinkies. In terms of craving something now, I would say it is high quality ice cream and high quality dark chocolate, and I allow myself these treats.

I enjoy making ice cream, and I am glad you reminded me of that. I'm sure we will do that this summer. In the past we have made pineapple, raspberry, peppermint, coconut and vanilla ice cream. Maybe this summer it will be chocolate ice cream!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing is naughty in my book. Just yummy and not yummy.

I live to eat and only eat what I feel like eating. That could be a slice of lemon meringue pie, a creme caramel or a bowl full of sauteed brussel sprouts depending on my mood.

I think the only thing I moderate in my diet is my consumption of creme caramels (you call them flans I think). I could eat one or two every day. It's not that I think they are bad for me but it takes a lot of time to cook them and it's not fair on my family if I keep baking creme caramels endlessly so I limit myself to one batch a fortnight.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Home made pasta; and a loaf of freshly baked French bread, ideally with lots of butter and/or some smelly unpasteurised French cheeses!!

Yep, I am a total carbs head, specifically gluten. Take away my sugar, chocolate ..I don't care. But I miss my gluten!! ;(

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@mrs-b do you mind telling me what brand chocolate you like that is made with monk fruit? Chocolate is one of my all time favs, but I usually snack on 100% unsweetened and would like to find a nice sugar free version. Also, if you are looking for a good chocolate cake recipe that is dairy, gluten and sugar free-this recipe makes a nice one if you can tolerate nuts. Just make sure to use some really dark cocoa in it :

1 1/2 cups fine almond flour
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp dark cocoa powder
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup milk alternative of choice(unsweetened)
3 eggs
1/3 cup granulated erythritol/monk fruit sweetner
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

For a double layer cake, simply double the recipe and bake in two 8-inch pans.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a round 8-inch pan, and line with parchment. Stir all ingredients together very well, then spread into the pan. If needed, use a second sheet of parchment to smooth down. Bake 14 minutes on the center rack (some ovens require more baking time, so continue cooking until firm if needed). Let cool completely before frosting. I leave mine in the pan and place in the freezer for a few hours then remove to frost. Gluten free bakes goods generally fall apart easily, so this helps to alleviate that issue for removal from the pan and frosting.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stepcutnut -

Thank you so much - that looks awesome!

I buy these - get a delivery every month. HUGELY expensive, but so well made, it's worth it to me. I also don't eat a lot of it, so it lasts. I had their mocha truffles last month and...oh man...!!

I eat their milk chocolate buttons all the time, and their 85% dark chocolate as well. So delicious!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@stepcutnut -

Thank you so much - that looks awesome!

I buy these - get a delivery every month. HUGELY expensive, but so well made, it's worth it to me. I also don't eat a lot of it, so it lasts. I had their mocha truffles last month and...oh man...!!

I eat their milk chocolate buttons all the time, and their 85% dark chocolate as well. So delicious!

@mrs-b Thank you so much! I had tried Phi Kind when it first became available and it was very good. I can no longer tolerate coconut and had since forgot about this company-all of their offerings had coconut. But now it looks like both the 85% Dark Bar and the Almond butter cookie dough truffles are coconut free-so excited to try them! Thanks again, sending you many healing vibes!!!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I eat more naughty food than good food. I have never craved vegetables.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm another camper for everything in moderation. I've just eaten 4 chocolate Hob Nobs, but it was the first sugar I've eaten in about 5 days. It's been so hot here the last few weeks & I've guzzled fresh fruit & water constantly, but just now was a choccie Hob Knob moment.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I allow myself to eat most things including ice cream and cookies and crunchy snacks, however, I do try to completely avoid potato chips; they taste so good but later I am so sorry I indulged.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b Thank you so much! I had tried Phi Kind when it first became available and it was very good. I can no longer tolerate coconut and had since forgot about this company-all of their offerings had coconut. But now it looks like both the 85% Dark Bar and the Almond butter cookie dough truffles are coconut free-so excited to try them! Thanks again, sending you many healing vibes!!!

@stepcutnut -

The 85% dark is the one I eat most days. It is SO good. And if you crave actual chocolate, as opposed to sugar, this is definitely the bar for you. The chocolate taste is so pure and so fresh - they make them and ship them immediately. Fabulous!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't eaten sugar for around a decade, but recently I've had a huge craving chocolate ice cream.
Ice cream that's the real thing ... high-fat, fancy stuff with like only 4 or so natural ingredients on the label, cream, milk, eggs sugar, chocolate this or that - preferably, my home made ice cream.
I made it once almost 2 years ago, when I was courting my SO.

Maybe I crave this because of something about being cooped up in the house.

Do you every crave something you never let yourself have?

A DECADE????? WOW!!!!!!!!

In my dreams!

But to answer your question yes, I am pregnant, every day is a cravings day lol. Ice cream is not safe around me!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I rarely eat fried foods (my naughty foods of choice), because and don't want my whole house to smell like frying oil, so when I eat out, I'd occasionally binge on a big plate of fried food, like fish and chips or fried calamari. I would say I give into the craving once every couple of months, and since I workout regularly, and have normal cholesterol levels so far, I just give into the craving, and I don't hold back!

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
OMG yes! I don't really eat bread anymore but I dream of fresh challah with high-quality butter and blackberry jam.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This! Deprivation tends to make urges and cravings worse.

I agree with you, but when your doctor insists that a medical condition requires something like no or low salt, fat, sugar etc., some of us really must permanently change our eating habits.
It's hard and took months and years for the feeling of depravation to be replaced with acceptance of the change, and adjustment of the taste buds.

Still, maybe it's pandemic stress, being locked in the house, now coupled with today's protests turning violent, and the curfews.
I haven't given in and made ice cream, yet, and don't think I will but there's one substitute that's very satisfying ... home made Greek yogurt.

Two gadgets:
I have the Yogormet yogurt maker.

Then my EuroCuisine Greek yogurt thingie drains out the whey, giving me thick, creamy, & rich ice cream substitute.
The texture and 'mouthfeel' is like a cross between cream cheese and sour cream.
Then I MW some Costco frozen berries or strawberries to mix in .... YUM!

Last edited:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
All. The. %@mn. Time.
Today is a good day, had fair to middling sleep but after a bad night of insomnia? Omfg, bring it on. Then after eating crap my acid kicks up, I get cranky. I've learned the hard way not to gorge on anything. Jeez.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All. The. %@mn. Time.
Today is a good day, had fair to middling sleep but after a bad night of insomnia? Omfg, bring it on. Then after eating crap my acid kicks up, I get cranky. I've learned the hard way not to gorge on anything. Jeez.

Oh yes I agree. When I am tired my defenses are down and I will eat things I should not. My thinking here is our bodies are craving energy and looking for any way to get it when our bodies are exhausted. For acid I find DGL tablets really help and they are not like antacids with negative side effects.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, a medical condition makes it necessary to skip certain things so I get where you are coming from @kenny I am fortunate to still be able to eat as I wish within reason. It also helps that I do not have a sweet tooth so I can easily go without sugar and dairy for years.

I hope natural sugars from fresh fruit doesn't count! If so, then I'm definitely going to be in the major withdrawal camp.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Oh yes I agree. When I am tired my defenses are down and I will eat things I should not. My thinking here is our bodies are craving energy and looking for any way to get it when our bodies are exhausted. For acid I find DGL tablets really help and they are not like antacids with negative side effects.

Exactly, craving energy. Sugar and fats. I'm a big fan of DGL and slippery elm. Some of the prescription H2 blockers and PP inhibitors threw me for a physical and emotional loop! I'm with ya sister!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exactly, craving energy. Sugar and fats. I'm a big fan of DGL and slippery elm. Some of the prescription H2 blockers and PP inhibitors threw me for a physical and emotional loop! I'm with ya sister!

Omg me too!!! My first and only panic attack was when I was on PP inhibitors. I had no clue what was happening and later I connected the dots. I stopped the PP inhibitors and never had another panic attack. It was the worst feeling ever. It was like I was outside my body and it was horrible.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results